We all hate blackheads and erasing them can be such a pain. Squeezing them out, getting a facial, using nose strips – it can all be so overwhelming! So what could be better than a few good home remedies to get rid of Blackheads for good?
Squeezing blackheads out is not the best idea as it can lead to inflamed skin and eventually scarring. So here are a few tips to get rid of blackheads and prevent them altogether using simple ingredients lying around your home. You must surely own a few listed here, all the ingredients mentioned will help you save your skin from the ‘black-headed’ nightmare.
What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are small bumps that appear on the skin due to clogged hair follicles. These bumps are called blackheads because the surface looks dark or black. Blackheads are a type of acne that appears on the face and nose, but it can also appear on the back, chest, arms and shoulders. It is a very common skin problem that affects many people.
So how do blackheads form? Blackheads occur when a clog or plug develops in the opening of hair follicles present in your skin. Each follicle contains one hair and a sebaceous gland that secretes oil called sebum. The sebum helps to keep the skin soft. When dead skin cells and oils accumulate in the opening of the skin follicles, it produces a bump called comedone. If the skin over the bump stays closed, then the bump is called a whitehead. When the skin over the bump opens, exposure to the air makes it look black, thus it is called a blackhead.The blackheads are easy to spot on the skin because they are dark in color. They are slightly raised but not inflamed or painful like pimples.
Causes of Blackheads:
You must be curious to know why blackheads occur frequently. Here are some factors that increase the chance of developing acne and blackheads on the skin.
- When the skin secretes excess body oil
- Buildup of propionibacterium acnes on the skin
- Irritation of the hair follicles when the dead skin cells don’t shed at the regular basis
- When there are hormonal changes in the body, the skin produces excess oil or sebum. Sometimes, the skin releases excess sebum during menstruation and while taking birth control pills.
- Some blackheads can occur due to reaction from drugs like corticosteroids, lithium and androgens.
- Stress can also cause blackheads. So you need to practice meditation to de-stress yourself.
- Sometimes genetics or inheritance cause frequent blackheads.
- If your face is not clean it can lead to blackheads. So if you want healthy skin you have to clean it everyday without fail.
- Since cosmetics contains some chemicals that can react with the skin and cause blackheads.
- Cut down on smoking, drinking alcohol or caffeinated drinks.
20 Home Remedies for Blackheads:
1. Steam your face for one to two minutes and then use a natural exfoliator to scrub off the blackheads and whiteheads gently. This is one of the simplest and best home remedy for blackheads.
2. Prepare a face scrub using crushed almonds and gram flour i.e. besan to exfoliate the affected area. This is another blackhead removal at home technique that is quite popular.
3. Mix up two tablespoons of yogurt with one tablespoon of lemon juice and apply it to the affected area.
4. A mixture of honey and lemon juice is considered to be one of the most popular blackhead removers.
5. A mixture of one egg white and a tea spoon of honey applied on the face can not only help prevent blackheads, but also help your skin from getting tremendously greasy.
6. Mix salt, lemon and honey, in equal quantities, and make a scrub. Yogurt can also be added to this mixture. Then gently massage the affected area with this scrub for about 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse off and pat dry.
7. Mint toothpaste is considered to be very helpful in clearing blackheads. Apply some on your nose and leave it there until it’s dry. Then, wipe it off using a wet washcloth.
8. If you are a fan of aloe vera, apply some of its juice to the affected area. This is supposed to soothe as well as heal the area.
9. Baking soda mixed with water can also help. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
10. A slow, but effective way of getting rid of blackheads is washing the affected area with salt water on a regular basis. This should help gradually eliminate the excessive oil in the area.
[ Read: Blackheads and Whiteheads ]
11. Turmeric is considered to be a great healing ingredient. A mixture of turmeric and mint juice applied to the affected area can help.
12. A mixture of oatmeal powder and rose water can also be very helpful. Apply it and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
13. Groundnut oil or ground cinnamon can not only remove blackheads but prevent their future growth, too.
14. Mix lemon juice and cinnamon powder and apply for 20 minutes to your blackheads in face and nose. Your face skin will be exfoliated and this should help remove the existing blackheads. However, when using spices, be sure to test them on your hand prior to using them on your face to prevent unwanted reactions.
15. Applying milk to the affected area and gently scrubbing the blackheads using a towel may help eliminate them.
16. Strawberry leaves on the blackhead can also be helpful. The alkalinity helps to reduce the swelling and cleanse the pores those are blocked.
17. Making a paste of fenugreek (methi) leaves and water is also supposed to help get rid of blackheads.
18. To prevent blackheads, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. A minimum five servings of fruits and vegetables included in the diet will help keep your skin healthy, thus preventing skin problems like blackheads. All blackhead home remedies should include a healthy diet.
19. Tomatoes have natural antiseptic properties that dry up blackheads. Take a small tomato, peel and mash it, then apply it over the blackheads before going to bed. Leave it overnight and then wash it with clean water in the morning.
20. Make a mixture of oatmeal and yogurt by blending two tablespoons of oatmeal with 3 tablespoons of yogurt. Then add a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix olive oil with it. Make a smooth paste and apply it on the face. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
[ Read: Ayurvedic Beauty Tips for Pimples ]
14 Easy Methods to Remove Blackheads:
Blackheads are pimples that don’t have a skin over them. You can follow these simple methods given here to get rid of blackheads easily at home.
1. The Glue Trick:
For the glue trick you have to use only non-toxic glue. Put your face over a bowl of steaming hot water or cover your face with a washcloth soaked in hot water. This will open up the pores. Now apply the glue on the affected area and leave it until dry. Once dry then peel off the glue. Avoid this if your skin is very sensitive.
2. Squeeze out the Blackheads:
Warm your skin first, you can do this by taking a warm shower or apply a hot compress on the affected areas. Grab or pinch the skin with one or a few closely-spaced blackheads in the middle and squeeze. Apply pressure from underneath the blackhead. This method works well if the black head is not deeply embedded in the skin. You can use an extractor tool or bobby pin to remove the blackheads. If you experience pain, then try other methods.
3. Cotton Ball Cure:
Use a mild exfoliator to remove dead cells and grime from the face. Pat your face dry with a clean and fresh towel. Place a warm compress on the face for 10-15 minutes to soften the blackhead. Pat your face again. Now place cotton balls on the tip of each finger. Then gently apply pressure by pushing the cotton balls down and up around the blemish.
[ Read: How To Treat Chin Blackheads ]
4. The Toothbrush and Toothpaste Method:
Wet the toothbrush and wet the affected area. Gently scrub the affected area with a toothbrush. If you have blackheads on the nose apply a small amount of toothpaste, but don’t apply it near the eyes. Since, menthol vapours can irritate the eyes. Repeat daily until the affected area is clear. Always sterilize the toothbrush after use.
5. Apply Creams with AHA:
Use a cream with alpha hydroxyl acids, since it will remove all the dead skin cells and expose the blackheads. Creams with AHA sometimes cause skin reactions, so if you are experiencing dryness or flaky skin then discontinue use. Alpha hydroxyl acids present in the cream can increase the sensitivity to the Sun, so try not to go outdoors after you apply this cream. Use this cream in every four days.
6. Lime Juice:
Make a lotion with equal parts of lime juice, almond oil and glycerin. Apply the lotion on your face daily to cure blackheads and discoloration on the face.
7. Honey Treatment:
Warm some honey and apply it on the affected area. Wash it after 10 to 15 minutes when the honey dries up on the skin.The natural cleansing property of honey will clear the blackheads and keep your skin healthy.
8. Egg Whites:
Beat egg whites; make sure the egg whites and the yolk don’t get mixed up. Apply the egg white on the face with your fingertips. Now take a 2 ply toilet paper and place it on the affected area, keep it till the paper becomes stiff. Now remove the paper from the affected area and you can see the results on the paper. Wash your face and pat dry.
9. Olive or Almond Oil Treatment:
Wash your face with hot water, to open up the pores. Then pour some olive oil or almond oil on a cloth. Gently rub some tooth paste (not the gel kind) on the cloth you soaked in the oil. Gently rub the toothpaste on the affected area with the oily cloth. Do it twice if you have a lot of blackheads. Keep it for some time and then wash it off, pat dry.
10. Steam and Moisturize:
Put a hot towel on your face for say ten minutes, this will expand the pores and bring the blackheads on the surface. Then wash your face with warm water and a mild face wash. Then splash cold water on your face and apply an oil-free moisturizer on your face. Rub alcohol on the affected areas for five minutes.
11. Lime and Salt:
Mix equal proportions of salt and lime juice. Apply it on the affected area; let it dry for few minutes. Then wash it off with water and pat dry.
12. Cleansing Milk:
Apply little cleansing milk on your face and massage it gently. Then apply some Vaseline on the affected areas. Leave it like that whole night, next morning squeeze out the blackheads. Wash your face and pat dry.
13. Gelatin and Milk:
Take one tablespoon of milk and one tablespoon of flavorless gelatin, blend them together. Heat the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds. Apply the mixture on the affected area with a make-up or paint brush in the shape of a pore strip. Allow it to dry on the affected area. Then pull off the strips from the affected area, the blackheads will come out on the strip.
14. Toothpaste and Salt:
Wet your face, but make sure it is not too wet. Blend half teaspoon of salt with one teaspoon of toothpaste and make a smooth paste. If the paste is too thick then add some water for easier application. Don’t keep the mixture more than five minutes. Scrub the mixture off your face with warm water. Then wash your face with cold water to close all the pores. Don’t overdo this step since it makes the skin really dry.
If there is any irritation caused by any of the ingredients mentioned above, discontinue use. If you are using the honey treatment make sure that the honey is not too hot. Prevent any substances from entering the eye since it can cause irritation.
Other Treatment for Blackheads:
- If you are suffering a hormonal imbalance you should consult a doctor. He will surely recommend you a contraceptive. A contraceptive often shows good results for acne and blackheads.
- Adapalene is a topical retinoid that works well on blackheads and acne.
- Greasy hair touching the skin of your face often causes skin infections and blackheads. Tie up your hair so that it doesn’t fall on the face.
If you want to keep blackheads at bay it is very important to maintain a healthy skin. Don’t touch your face often. Never use soap which cause dryness, you can also use a homemade face scrub or soap free facial foam to clean your face. Don’t rub your face with a towel but pat dry. Eat the right kind of food and stay away from chemicals; if you want to have a flawless skin that you would like to flaunt always. Try to remove blackheads naturally!
Hope these home remedies for blackhead removal help you! Do let us know which one worked the best for you.
- Top 10 Scrubs For Removing Blackheads
- 7 Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Oily Skin
- Top 10 Home Remedies For Flawless Skin
- Blackheads and Whiteheads: Beginning of Acne
Being overweight has been a struggle for most of my life. Whenever I would go on a diet then the...
It has been rightly said that “the eye is the mirror of soul”. We all crave for those beautiful mesmerizing eyes. Makeup is something which completely transforms your eyes in no time. But no makeup...
Let your eyes do the talking! For years, Asian eyes have casted their spell on the world. The...
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)