We all hate blackheads and erasing them can be such a pain. Squeezing them out, getting a facial, using nose strips – it can all be so overwhelming! So what could be better than a few good home remedies to get rid of Blackheads for good?
Squeezing blackheads out is not the best idea as it can lead to inflamed skin and eventually scarring. So here are a few tips to get rid of blackheads and prevent them altogether using simple ingredients lying around your home. You must surely own a few listed here, all the ingredients mentioned will help you save your skin from the ‘black-headed’ nightmare.
What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are small bumps that appear on the skin due to clogged hair follicles. These bumps are called blackheads because the surface looks dark or black. Blackheads are a type of acne that appears on the face and nose, but it can also appear on the back, chest, arms and shoulders. It is a very common skin problem that affects many people.
So how do blackheads form? Blackheads occur when a clog or plug develops in the opening of hair follicles present in your skin. Each follicle contains one hair and a sebaceous gland that secretes oil called sebum. The sebum helps to keep the skin soft. When dead skin cells and oils accumulate in the opening of the skin follicles, it produces a bump called comedone. If the skin over the bump stays closed, then the bump is called a whitehead. When the skin over the bump opens, exposure to the air makes it look black, thus it is called a blackhead.The blackheads are easy to spot on the skin because they are dark in color. They are slightly raised but not inflamed or painful like pimples.
Causes of Blackheads:
You must be curious to know why blackheads occur frequently. Here are some factors that increase the chance of developing acne and blackheads on the skin.
- When the skin secretes excess body oil
- Buildup of propionibacterium acnes on the skin
- Irritation of the hair follicles when the dead skin cells don’t shed at the regular basis
- When there are hormonal changes in the body, the skin produces excess oil or sebum. Sometimes, the skin releases excess sebum during menstruation and while taking birth control pills.
- Some blackheads can occur due to reaction from drugs like corticosteroids, lithium and androgens.
- Stress can also cause blackheads. So you need to practice meditation to de-stress yourself.
- Sometimes genetics or inheritance cause frequent blackheads.
- If your face is not clean it can lead to blackheads. So if you want healthy skin you have to clean it everyday without fail.
- Since cosmetics contains some chemicals that can react with the skin and cause blackheads.
- Cut down on smoking, drinking alcohol or caffeinated drinks.
20 Home Remedies for Blackheads:
Here are some home remedies to remove blackheads, and you will get all the ingredients in your pantry. These simple yet effective tips will help you to get rid of acne quickly. Do try these simple home remedies for blackheads and see the results.
1. Steam your face for one to two minutes and then use a natural exfoliator to scrub off the blackheads and whiteheads gently. This is one of the simplest and best home remedy for blackheads.
2. Prepare a face scrub using crushed almonds and gram flour i.e. besan to exfoliate the affected area. This is another blackhead removal at home technique that is quite popular.
3. Mix up two tablespoons of yogurt with one tablespoon of lemon juice and apply it to the affected area.
4. A mixture of honey and lemon juice is considered to be one of the most popular blackhead removers.
5. A mixture of one egg white and a tea spoon of honey applied on the face can not only help prevent blackheads, but also help your skin from getting tremendously greasy.
6. Mix salt, lemon and honey, in equal quantities, and make a scrub. Yogurt can also be added to this mixture. Then gently massage the affected area with this scrub for about 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse off and pat dry.
7. Mint toothpaste is considered to be very helpful in clearing blackheads. Apply some on your nose and leave it there until it’s dry. Then, wipe it off using a wet washcloth.
8. If you are a fan of aloe vera, apply some of its juice to the affected area. This is supposed to soothe as well as heal the area.
9. Baking soda mixed with water can also help. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
10. A slow, but effective way of getting rid of blackheads is washing the affected area with salt water on a regular basis. This should help gradually eliminate the excessive oil in the area.
[ Read: Blackheads and Whiteheads ]
11. Turmeric is considered to be a great healing ingredient. A mixture of turmeric and mint juice applied to the affected area can help.
12. A mixture of oatmeal powder and rose water can also be very helpful. Apply it and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
13. Groundnut oil or ground cinnamon can not only remove blackheads but prevent their future growth, too.
14. Mix lemon juice and cinnamon powder and apply for 20 minutes to your blackheads in face and nose. Your face skin will be exfoliated and this should help remove the existing blackheads. However, when using spices, be sure to test them on your hand prior to using them on your face to prevent unwanted reactions.
15. Applying milk to the affected area and gently scrubbing the blackheads using a towel may help eliminate them.
16. Strawberry leaves on the blackhead can also be helpful. The alkalinity helps to reduce the swelling and cleanse the pores those are blocked.
17. Making a paste of fenugreek (methi) leaves and water is also supposed to help get rid of blackheads.
18. To prevent blackheads, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. A minimum five servings of fruits and vegetables included in the diet will help keep your skin healthy, thus preventing skin problems like blackheads. All blackhead home remedies should include a healthy diet.
19. Tomatoes have natural antiseptic properties that dry up blackheads. Take a small tomato, peel and mash it, then apply it over the blackheads before going to bed. Leave it overnight and then wash it with clean water in the morning.
20. Make a mixture of oatmeal and yogurt by blending two tablespoons of oatmeal with 3 tablespoons of yogurt. Then add a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix olive oil with it. Make a smooth paste and apply it on the face. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
[ Read: Ayurvedic Beauty Tips for Pimples ]