Going the natural way!
Young or old, we love our hair.
Hair health plays the deciding role in factors like styling and personality. Conditions like hair fall, damage, dandruff are few of the common hair problems faced by all. Earlier hair fall used to be a sign of ageing. The ever-rising pollution, hectic lifestyle and never-ending work stress paves way for hair fall.
There is another factor that we mostly ignore. Back in the days, women took better care of their hair. We do not have that kind of time anymore. We moved away from natural remedies to chemical treatments looking for instant results. Instant results is not the right solution for healthy hair. We have seen and understood that with time. It is time to bring back the age old solutions! Before that a small brief into the cycle of hair growth.
Hair Growth Cycle:
Each strand of our hair goes through three stages in its entire life cycle:
- The Anagen stage – A phase when the growth in hair is actually seen. The follicle divides and contributes to the lengthening.
- The Catagen stage – This is more of a transitional phase. Here the hair growth stops and the shaft of the hair is pushed up closer to the surface as the follicle shrinks.
- The Telogen phase – This is the resting phase which lasts for about 2-4 months. Once this phase is over, the hair sheds on its own accord.
These cycles are very much active like every other body functions when we are young. The problem starts during the middle age, around 30 years or more. Our hair growth starts slowing down due to the hormonal imbalances, improper diet and excessive stress.
Home Remedies For Hair Growth:
So how to grow new hair naturally? There are many advantages of going natural with hair care. The most important being the fact that it works and it is inexpensive. It’s like having the cake and the cherry at the same time!
There are many remedies from nature that deliver great results. We have split this list into 4 categories of Kitchen remedies, essential oils and dietary needs for better clarity.
A. Kitchen Ingredients – Effective Home Remedies for Hair Growth:
1. Onion Juice:
This is the oldest and the most efficient home remedy for hair growth.
Onion juice is rich in sulphur that boosts collagen production in the tissues and helps in re-growth of hair.
How To Use:
- Use red onions or shallots
- Chop it into small pieces
- Squeeze out its juice.
- Now apply it on your scalp carefully and keep for 15 minutes.
- Finally rinse off with a mild shampoo.
For better understanding, here’s an excellent post on how onion helps hair growth.
Onion’s high sulphur content helps boost collagen production, thereby promoting hair growth.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar:
The vinegar gently cleanses the scalp and maintains the PH balance of the hair accelerating hair growth.
How To Use:
- Wash your hair
- Use apple cider vinegar as a final rinse after washing your hair to get healthy and shiny hair.
- For 1 litre of solution – mix 75ml of apple cider vinegar to one litre of water
- You may store this entirely or make it smaller batches.
- For smaller quantities, take 15 ml of apple cider vinegar and add it to a cup of warm filtered water
- After washing your hair, using this cup of water as the final rinse.
Apple cider vinegar maintains the pH balance of the hair, and hence helps in hair growth.
3. Egg Mask:
This home remedy is found to be a part of the many cultures all over the world with different variations.
It contains high levels of proteins which help in the formation of new hair. It is also rich in sulphur, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorous and iodine.
How To Use:
- Take the white of one egg
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and honey to it
- Mix it all well to form a smooth paste
- Apply it all over your hair carefully and leave it for 20 minutes
- Rinse with cool water and shampoo it off.
Not just for hair, you can use egg masks to get glowing skin too
The high protein content makes eggs one of the best ingredients that promote hair growth.
[ Read: Egg For Hair Growth ]
This is another widely used home remedy for treating hair fall.
Fenugreek accelerates hair growth and protects the natural colour of your hair.
How To Use:
- Take 1 teaspoon of the fenugreek paste
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut milk to it
- Apply it all over your hair and scalp
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Wash off with a mild shampoo
Here is an excellent post on beauty benefits of fenugreek.
Fenugreek solves two purposes; it promotes hair growth and also protects the natural colour of your hair.