Does the mirror remind you each day how glamorous you used to be just a few years ago? Have you tried every diet plan that has hit the news, only to be disappointed after months of trying? Losing weight and staying fit are synonymous with each other. Yes, a dozen diet plans crop up each week. Some work, some do not. But we are always on the lookout for that
one diet plan that does not ask you to stop eating! Today, we present to you the 30-day Shred diet, which is sure to bring back your lost youth!
Would you like to know more? Keep reading.
What Is The 30-Day Shred Diet Plan?
A number of popular diet and weight loss plans are actually devised by dietitians, health gurus, and fitness experts. One such contender is the 30-Day Shred diet plan. It is not exactly a diet plan, but more of a fitness program aimed at hardcore fitness enthusiasts. Made by celebrity fitness trainer Jillian Michaels, it comprises of an exercise DVD that contains circuit workouts each of 20-minute duration (1). Michaels, however, recommends nutritional and dietary inputs in it. It is by no means easy to follow the regimen, considering the fact it is devised by a lady who is also called “America’s Toughest Trainer.”
Jillian Michaels used to be an obese kid, but since her teen years she has devoted herself to developing a fit figure, and there was no looking back since then. Her tenure at the hit TV series ‘The Biggest Loser’ made her a household name (2). However, she also released six fitness books and nine fitness DVDs. She also runs a health website that gets approximately 1.6 million monthly visitors.
Basics Of The 30-Day Shred Diet
A role model for those who want to get rid of their bloated bellies, Michaels is a successful entrepreneur, an efficient reality show trainer, a popular talk show host, a NESTA, AFAA, AFPA and Kettlebell Concepts certified professional, a bestselling fitness author, and a great motivator. With so many feathers in her cap, this Daytime Emmy-nominated fitness expert cum wellness coach is considered a complete brand in herself.
The initial days of her 20-years in the fitness industry were not so smooth for Michaels. Today’s huge media success, Michaels, had to struggle a lot with her body weight. Hard work, true dedication, and strong determination helped her immensely in reaching her goals and made her dream come true. It is her personal journey towards fitness and wellness that inspires millions of people. She is now one of the most inspiring personal trainers in America.
The 30-Day Shred program, according to Michaels, will help you lose 20 pounds within a month. There are three levels in the program. Each level is harder than the previous one. You have to complete each level within 10 days and then move to the next. The workouts are based on her Strength/Cardio/Abs 3-2-1 training circuit. The DVD also comes with a cool-down and warm-up session for each of the levels.
Michaels loves to share her weight loss secrets with other people who are dying to go from ‘flab’ to ‘fab’. According to her, it’s all about the perfect combination of a healthy diet and selected ab exercises. While ‘Jillian Michaels 3 DVD Set’ can guide you through the workout regime, we are here to unlock the exclusive ‘belly-bloat-banishing meal plan’ of this American fitness guru. If you also want to eat like Jillian for getting into shape, here is what you need to know – Jillian Michaels diet plan!
Jillian Michaels Diet Program
Jillian Michaels’ Breakfast
Michaels believes that stocking up on carbohydrates through a proper breakfast is essential for kick-starting a whole new day and retaining energy for long.
- Her favorite breakfast food is Ezekiel English Muffins. Made of whole-grains, it is high in carbohydrates. She consumes two muffins with almond butter, which gives her a whopping 500 calories.
- Michaels also includes fresh whole fruits in her breakfast. They contain lots of vital nutrients, which are required for a perfect healthy start.
- Organic yogurt is another staple item in her breakfast. It is rich in probiotics, which make the process of digestion easier and help our body to absorb the nutrients more efficiently. She mostly loves to consume Oikos Greek Yogurt as it is full of protein and tastes wonderful at the same time.
- Michaels stays away from bacon as well as other food items that are high in salt.
Jillian Michaels’ Lunch
- When it comes to lunch, fish is Michaels’ first choice. It is a great source of protein and contributes to healthy muscle mass. Salman carpaccio is what she likes as her main lunch item. It can be any other type of fish too.
- She loves to eat veggies for lunch. Fresh veggies are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and many other nutritional elements, which are required to provide proper nourishment to our cells and combat unwanted body fat.
- Salad is a must for Michaels’ lunch. She includes cucumbers, green bell peppers, lettuce, and several other greens in it. She considers lettuce as one of the best natural food items that promote weight loss. It is full of water, which keeps us filled for long and controls our cravings to a great extent.
- Michaels totally avoids French fries as well as other similar items as they contain large amounts of oil and salt. She also steers clear of cheese.
Jillian Michaels’ Dinner
- Michaels is a huge fan of fish and tries to include it for dinner too.
- She also eats grilled chicken from time to time to give herself a healthy boost.
- Vegetables, especially spinach or asparagus, are an indispensable part of her dinner. In fact, asparagus is one of the biggest secrets of her weight loss diet. She prefers these veggies to be cooked with garlic and lemon for a wonderful flavor.
- For dinner, Michaels tries to reduce her carb intake and replaces her food ingredients with organic ones wherever possible. Pizza is a big ‘no-no’ for her.
Jillian Michaels’ Snacking
- Michaels makes sure that her afternoon munchies are healthy enough. She either eats crunchy carrot sticks with hummus or opts for baked corn chips and salsa.
- If she wants to please her taste buds with something different, fruits and nuts top her list. She just loves to have raw almonds or Brazil nuts with a fresh orange in the evening.
Jillian Michaels’ Dessert
Jillian Michaels diet menu cannot be complete without a dessert! She just can’t help but have her dark chocolate in between meals. She gets 200 calories of her entire calorie intake through these yummy bars. It helps her a lot in shedding excess belly fat and getting a washboard ab.
How To Practice The 30-Day Shred
Michaels believes in making use of every single muscle in the human body to shed excess flab and attain a toned body. The workouts are stringent in nature, but you will not need any heavy investment or equipment as such. Take some weights, spend 20 minutes to perform the moves and be consistent about it to get the desired results. You also need to wear comfortable attire and shoes.
Is It Suitable For All Obese People?
While a lot of women and men from various age groups have benefitted from this weight loss plan, it may not be ideal for everyone. You should check your fitness status and health conditions with a doctor to be clear about your suitability for this rigorous workout plan. Not everyone loses 20 pounds of weight in a month after trying this plan, but losing up to 15 pounds is a common experience.
Tips To Make The 30-Day Shred Plan Effective
You can very well buy the DVD and try the moves at home, but careful planning is required if you want to get the maximum results from this program. Below listed is a number of handy tips that you can utilize and succeed in this regard:
1. Measuring Before And After
Before you begin the program, take a tape and measure your waist, chest, hips, and thighs. You may write down the found measurements. This can be compared with the changes you find after completion of the program one month later. That way you can understand how well you have fared.
Diligence and consistency are absolutely required when you want to shed pounds while adhering to this plan. Based on your daily schedule, you will need to schedule some time every day for the moves. They will require less than an hour. It can be done either at night or morning or any other time suited for you. However, it is required that once you start working out at a time of the day, you stick to it.
3. Healthy, Balanced Eating
Any weight loss program requires the followers to stick to a healthy diet. While Michaels is not very particular about what you can and cannot eat, she tells the users to stick to the basics. First of all, you should throw away that fat laden processed and fast food from your kitchen cabinets and fridge. She points out what type of foods you can and cannot eat in the DVD.
4. Preparing The Body
A lot of people who buy the DVD and try the moves fail because they do not keep enough time to watch and develop the moves in advance. Before you start any of the three levels included in the DVD, watch them several times and practice the moves. This will save you time and reduce the risk of getting injured later. Eventually, you will be able to complete each level properly.
5. Stretching Helps
At the beginning of the 30-Day Shred program, Michaels tells you to perform dynamic stretching. It helps in opening up your muscles. However, doing this just before the sessions may lead to sore muscles, and you will find it hard to carry on.
To fare better, you should ideally stretch your pectorals, triceps, biceps and calves. So, you need to do static stretching before beginning the 30-Day Shred Workout. This will bring down the risk of getting sore muscles and injuries.
6. Stop Starving Yourself
Michaels does not tell you to starve just because you want to lose a significant amount of weight in one month! A lot of people think they need to eat less than what they do while adhering to the diet. Eating less than required may result in muscle loss and fat retention. This is definitely not what you want!
You need some carbs to get energy, but just do not go into overdrive. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits along with whole wheat products. Discard the refined flour based foods.
7. Hydrating The Body
While working and before trying the moves at every stage, hydrating the body is very important. So, ensure that you take plenty of water and homemade fruit juices. Each day, you are likely to lose plenty of body fluid through sweating while practicing the sessions.
Some people may need more than 10 days to complete each phase. Some have even stretched it to 50 days. While the trainer does not recommend doing so, you need to understand your comfort with progress.
9. Make It Comfortable
The exercises are anything but comfortable, and so you should ensure there are other possible means to make you feel easy. Wear a padded sneaker to guard your feet from the pain. It would be a good idea to use a thick mat on the floor. During the workout, it is natural to feel thirsty. So, you may keep a water bottle in the room when you try the moves.
Following Michael’s Principles On Diet
It is a tough task to follow the celebrity trainer in fitness and workout regime, but you may adhere to her eating habits to make the most out of the 30-Day Shred program.
Michaels does not believe in entirely depriving the body of foods that are calorie heavy. While avoiding processed foods is advised, she does indulge in chocolates sometimes. She eats crackers, candy bars, but ensures they do not contain too many chemicals, fake flavors, preservatives, etc. As long as you take care of these, there is no need to cut down on other foods. Basically, keeping a tab on calories and eating foods the body can process is what matters.
To work out hard and regularly, one’s body will need a lot of energy. For this, she drinks plenty of protein shakes, and eats Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. A good balance of fat, protein and carb in every meal keeps her energized.
Advantages Of The 30-Day Shred Diet Plan
- The short duration of workout is a boon for everyone, literally. Even men and women leading a hectic life can squeeze 30 minutes a day from their schedules. Michaels is also flexible about timing. You are free to choose a time of the day as per your schedule.
- The plan has helped thousands of obese men and women lose weight.
- It works well for those who do not have access to a gym. You get spared from paying gym fees.
- The stages involve a number of compound moves that benefit your body. Basically, it combines more than a muscle group, and you end up mixing various moves like squats and a shoulder press. So, you eventually end up burning more calories.
- When you adhere to the strenuous weight loss plan, you get other benefits too. Apart from a slimmed down body, you will find your endurance and stamina have shot up significantly within a month.
- In most diet and weight loss plans, you will find ways to cheat once in a while. As a trainer, Michaels is very stern – she has earned a reputation for being strict on fitness lessons. However, those with lower fitness levels can find workarounds (3). One of the two ladies accompanying Michaels in the DVD shows moves that can be done easily by followers who find difficulty with doing the fully fledged moves by Michaels.
Limitations Of The 30-Day Shred Plan
No weight loss plan is flawless, and this is also applicable for the 30-day Shred. Its major limitations are:
- There is no denying the reality that this plan is tough to adhere to. The duration may not be long, but the moves are tough for beginners.
- Those with injuries and who are recuperating from surgeries should not do it. The second phase is focused on the knees, and those with knee injuries will find it harder to follow.
- Not all followers can lose 20 pounds, as promised by Michaels.
- This is not for those who are extremely overweight. With this plan, you may lose 20 pounds or so.
- Michaels says you should practice the plan six days a week. It sounds logical, but for most followers this can be an overdose. It can lead to excessively sore muscles and body aches. A lot of people will not be able to keep up with the harder phases this way. Trying the moves four days per week is ideal for most followers.
- The phases involve usage of dumbbells, but Michaels does not specify about the weights. This can make things tougher for the beginners. Some moves may require using heavier weights than others.
Summing It All Up
You will be hard pressed to find any ‘one plan fits all’ type of weight loss plan or diet, as it is. The 30-Day Shred plan is surely not meant for all obese men and women. It is clearly not for those who have huge amounts of body fat. It is also not meant for those obese people who find sweating out rigorously unsuitable. However, fitness seekers with small to medium level of body fat and who want visible weight loss results without going to a gym may embrace the plan. With consistency, hard work, and planning, it is not impossible to obtain the benefits of this plan.
Are you feeling inspired to change your own weight loss diet plan accordingly? Share your thoughts with us below.
- Diet According To The Age: Here Is What You Need To Eat In Your 20’s 40’s, 50’s, 60’s!
- 5:2 Diet- A Complete Guide
- 8 Hour Diet- A Complete Guide
- 10 Super-Weird Diets That Work Wonders!
- 5 Healthy Diet Plans – What Are Its Pros And Cons?
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015