Beauty is about being comfortable in one’s own skin!
A lot has been said about flawless skin. People make it a big deal without really doing anything about it. The truth – it is easy to have a perfect skin. You just need to be a little persistent in taking care of your skin. Pigmentation, dark spots, freckles and an uneven skin tone are few problems that we all face. It can be very disturbing and embarrassing to step out with even one spot.
Doctors recommend laser treatments as a solution, but in my opinion it’s a huge investment. I chose to go with natural remedies; it’s a slow process but progresses in the right direction to give positive and effective results. But to treat something it is necessary to know the reasons behind the problem.
Types Of Skin Pigmentation:
UV exposure tends to increase the melanin production in our body. Similarly, there are other environmental factors also that cause either increased or decreased melanin production. Largely there are two kinds of pigmentation abnormalities that can occur.
Where the melanin production is elevated leading to brown or tan spots on the skin. This is also known as melasma.
Where the melanin production is lowered and patches of lighter skin appears. This is also known as vitiligo.
[ Read: Treat Pigmentation on Face ]
How To Get Rid Of Skin Pigmentation?
Here are some simple tips to help you reduce skin pigmentation naturally and acquire a healthy-looking glowing skin.
Potatoes are said to work very well on pigmented areas, dark spots and blemishes. You can try rubbing a slice of potato on your skin daily; you may also try a mixture of fuller’s earth and potato juice to get rid of dark spots.
This tip is highly beneficial because lemon is a natural bleach and organic honey contains moisturizing properties. Together these properties make lemon a best remedy for pigmentation.
- Slice a lemon and squeeze out some juice
- Mix lemon juice with about 1 or 2 teaspoons of honey
- Apply this on your face well.
- Avoid using this remedy if you have a sensitive skin.
3. Lemon Juice And Turmeric Powder:
- Mix 1 tbsp of turmeric and lemon juice well.
- Apply this on the affected areas for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
It is best advised to use this pack at night for desired results. Never use it immediately after exposing your skin to the sun.
4. Red Onion:
This is one of the best home remedies for pigmentation, dark spots, freckles and blemishes.
- Slice up an onion
- Rub it directly on the affected areas.
- Alternatively, you may also grate the onion, squeeze out its juice and apply.
- Let it sit on your skin for about 10 minutes and wash off thoroughly.
[Read: Pigmentation During Pregnancy]
Cucumber juice is considered very helpful in reducing skin pigmentation, fading freckles and blemishes.
- Take 1 tbsp of cucumber juice
- 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice
- Mix all three well together
- Apply evenly all over your face or just over the affected area for best results
6. Aloe Vera/ Aloe Vera + Vitamin E:
Aloe Vera’s soothing and healing properties offer solutions for a host of skin problems. And it effectively treats pigmented skin, clears dark spots and blemishes too. Aloe Vera actually causes older skin cells to slough off, leaving clearer-looking and rejuvenated skin behind.
- • Apply the gel from aloe vera leaf half hour before bed every night;
• Add one or two Vitamin E capsules like Evion to enhance its efficacy.
7. Tomato+ Oatmeal + Yogurt:
Tomato is natural bleach; yogurt is also natural bleach with skin tightening properties while oatmeal offers scrubbing effects. These three, when mixed together, are considered a great remedy to get rid of pigmentation.
- Extract tomato juice
- Add 2 tsp oatmeal and 1/2 tsp yogurt to tomato juice.
- Mix all three well together
- Apply this on the problem areas and let it dry completely.
- But make sure you don’t leave it on for more than 20 minutes.
- Finally wash it off with lukewarm water.
You must try this remedy everyday to see desired results at the earliest.
Vinegar has excellent skin lightening and astringent properties. One of the best ways to avail its benefits is by making a vinegar rinse.
- Mix vinegar with equal amounts of water
- Use this diluted solution to rinse your face regularly.
- Don’t wash off after with plain water after using this solution.
The enzymes in avocados are brilliant for reducing pigmentation.
- Mash the fruit properly
- Apply the paste on the affected area everyday
- Alternatively, you can also slice it up and directly squeeze the juice on to the affected area.
One thing to watch out for is the latex enzymes in avocados. These can cause allergies in some people. So please do a patch test before using this tip.
10. Guava + Banana:
The lycopene found in guava and the exfoliating properties of the banana together lead to skin lightening.
- Mash banana and guava well together
- Apply this paste on the affected areas.
- Wash off after 15-20 minutes.
- Follow this everyday for best results.
11. Turmeric Powder:
Ancient Indian medicine has proved to be an amazing source of fair and smooth skin. Turmeric is an important part of ancient Indian medicine. It has wonderful properties that provide nutrients to the skin and protects it from discoloration. If skin discoloration plagues you, apply turmeric regularly to get back your normal skin. Mix it with milk or lemon juice, the choice is yours. Once dry, wash it off with warm water.
12. Sandal Powder:
Sandal has cooling qualities and works as a scrub to give you a smooth skin texture. This is really important, keeping in mind the fact that it is the heat in the body that causes acne, dryness, and itching. These skin problems can further lead to discoloration. With regular use of sandalwood powder, you can soothe the skin and heal skin discoloration.
13. Rose Water:
Keep a bottle of rose water at home. It is the best home remedy for all skin ailments. Apply it after taking a bath or washing your face. It keeps the skin soft and shiny. It even prevents discoloration and also removes dark spots. Rose water works at a slow pace but leaves a lasting impact on the skin, by strengthening the texture and keeping it firm.
14. Coconut Milk:
Fresh coconut milk extracts works wonderfully, thus one of the best home remedies for discoloration of skin. Coconut milk is very rich in proteins that is required by the skin and offers smooth skin in no time.
[ Read: Shanaz Hussain Beauty Tips For Skin ]
15. Regular Warm Water Bath:
Cleanliness and personal hygiene can never be replaced. No matter how many remedies or products you use, without proper hygiene, your skin will never glow with health. Take shower twice a day and choose casual clothing, preferably cotton. Avoid silks and other hard fabrics. Avoid hot water while taking a shower, use warm water instead. Do pour a mug of cold water at the end of your bath.
16. Green Leafy Vegetables In Diet:
Spinach, mint, coriander, asparagus, curry leaves, and all other green leafy vegetables carry plenty of vitamin A, which is very essential for skin. Make sure to include at least one green leafy vegetable in your diet and keep skin discoloration away.
17. Pomegranate Fruit In Diet:
Include pomegranate in your diet. This ruby red fruit is full of nutrients that can work very effectively for your skin. Your skin will be naturally healthy and will surely find relief from discoloration.
Don’t let skin discoloration make you feel unattractive. You are beautiful and with these home remedies for skin pigmentation or discoloration on face or whatever skin, your skin will soon reflect the inner beauty you possess.
Other Quick Tips:
18. Multani mitti (Fuller’s earth) mixed with rose water lightens dark patches.
- 19. Lemon juice mixed with basil leaves and applied over dark circles and patches can reduce discolouration.
- 20. Mix oatmeal, milk and brown sugar in equal parts and use to rub across skin.
- 21. Massage cocoa butter on affected skin for a few weeks.
- 22. A few drops of lemon juice with your regular simple face cream reduces the patches.
- 23. Use a paste of dry orange peels powder with water works or a mash up of guava and banana pieces.
- 24. Soak almonds overnight, grind them and add milk to use it as a paste.
- 25. Applying raw papaya juice or the pulp of a ripe papaya is a sure formula to reduce pigmentation.
Before trying these home remedies for pigmentation, always remember that natural remedies demand patience. It takes time for these to show desired results. So be patient and have faith.
How Long Is A Mask To Be Kept On?
Not more than 20 minutes. Rinse off, pat dry and follow up with a moisturizer of your choice.
Each one of us have different skin and different skin means different demands. So if you find one remedy not working out for you, try another until you find the right natural treatment to get rid of skin pigmentation and blemishes.
- Indulge in proper skincare, do not forget cleansing, toning, moisturizing and exfoliating (at least twice a week using the facial scrub of your choice).
- Use a sunscreen on daily basis, a minimum of SPF 30 and PA+++ protection is recommended (especially for skin pigmentation).
- If your skin is oily and excess sweat prompts you to skip sunscreen, try Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel PA+++ SPF 50 or Sunmate SPF 30+ gel-cream (Dermatologist recommended).
- Drink lots of water and eat as many fruits to keep your skin hydrated and flush out the toxins from your system.
What Are The Causes Of Skin Pigmentation?
Over exposure to heat is one of the most common environmental causes of pigmentation. The melanin-producing cells are disturbed due to which pigmentation occurs. Just like UV radiation affects the melanocytes, even thermal radiation affects the melanocytes resulting in hyperpigmentation.
Sometimes after the wound, caused by an injury, heals, there is still a slight inflammation. This inflamed area can later develop pigmentation.
Certain specified medicines can cause skin pigmentation as a side effect during their use in treatment.
Certain diseases also cause discoloration of skin like jaundice and cyanosis. In jaundice the skin develops a yellow tinge whereas in cyanosis the skin appears blue due to insufficient circulation of oxygen in the blood.
5. Emotional Duress:
It has been observed in some cases, that extreme emotional stress and duress also affect the production of melanin by the cells.
We hope this post has helped you know about skin pigmentation and how to treat it. Let us know what tips you use for reducing skin pigmentation. Leave your comments below and tell us how these tips worked for reducing your skin pigmentation.
- 10 Shanaz Hussain Beauty Tips For Skin Pigmentation
- How to Treat Pigmentation of Skin on Face
- Top 10 Pigmentation Creams That Can Make Your Skin Flawless
- Causes of Pigmentation on Face and The Associated Preventive Measures
- Pigmentation During Pregnancy – How To Protect Yourself?
Latest posts by Oindrila (see all)
- 10 Latest Winter Hairstyles That You Can Flaunt - July 20, 2013
- How To Stop And Reduce Hair Fall – 21 Things That Worked For Me - July 17, 2013
- 50 Lovely Bun Hairstyles For Long Hair - July 9, 2013
- Best Liquid Eyeliners – Our Top 10 - July 6, 2013