The one thing that can immediately turn you off is bad breath! If we have bad breath we are forced to keep chewing mint gums throughout the day. But do you think that chewing such gums is the real remedy to bad breath? It is a temporary solution no doubt and can save you at important meetings or date with your partner, but it doesn’t cure bad breath totally. It returns the next day, and you resort to the same temporary remedy of using mouthwash or mouth sprays or chewing mint flavored gums.
There are many reasons for bad breath:
- When food particles get stuck within your teeth and you don’t brush them out, it leads to the growth of bacteria that leads to bad breath.
- Unclean tongue with a thick white coating on top.
- Repeated ulcer in mouth.
- Unhealthy teeth and gums.
All of the above reasons lead to abnormal growth of bacteria within your mouth that promotes bad breath.
The other reasons are invisible.
- Kidney problems.
- Irregular bowel movement.
- Respiratory problems.
Other than the above reasons, if you are addicted to smoking and drinking or have unhealthy dietary habits, bad breath occurs.
Let us try some yoga postures to eliminate embarrassing situations created by bad breath.
Yoga For Bad Breath
In yoga there are some special breathing techniques by which we control our breath. These breathing techniques are called Pranayam. Pranayam is like a cure to almost all internal physical issues. They are very reliable yoga asanas for bad breath that have a positive influence on respiratory and digestive organs. There are many pranayam techniques and we can practice all of them to get rid of bad breath.
The king of all pranayam techniques kapalbhati works on both the respiratory tract as well as digestive system.
i. Sit in a comfortable position on the ground with your legs crossed.
ii. Straighten your spine and relax your abdomen.
iii. Breathe normally for a few seconds to relax your mind and body.
iv. Start exhaling forcefully through your nose. As your exhale each time your abdomen should sink in with rhythm.
v. The exhaling action should take place in a steady rhythm; one exhalation per second. However the inhalation should happen automatically.
vi. Do up to 100 exhalations at a stretch and beginners can do 50.
Kapalbhati is greatly beneficial to the respiratory system as it eases symptoms of cough and cold, bronchitis, tuberculosis, pharyngitis and many other respiratory diseases. Besides having a positive effect on respiratory system it also improves digestion, gastritis, constipation and acidity. All these diseases indirectly lead to bad breath. Once you can fight these problems, your issues of bad breath will go off gradually.
2. Simhasana (Lion pose):
i. Begin by sitting in Vajrasana, keeping your knees apart.
ii. Placing your hands just in front of your knees, move your body forward.
iii. Now look upwards, open your mouth and take out your tongue as much as possible. Keep your eyes open.
iv. Inhale normally through your nose.
v. With tongue out, exhale with a loud ‘Ah’ sound as if roaring. Continue this roaring sound for another 5-6 times.
3. Yoga Mudra (Psychic union pose):
i. Sit in padmasana with your legs crossed.
ii. Breathe normally and relax. Close your eyes.
iii. Now bend your torso from the waist till your forehead touches the ground.
iv. Stay in this pose for some breaths and relax.
v. Rise up after some time and repeat again.
4. Sheetali Pranayama (Cooling breath):
i. Sit with your legs crossed in a padmasana.
ii. Keep both hands on your thighs.
iii. Now open your mouth and curl your tongue inwards to form a tube.
iv. Inhale through this tongue-made tube.
5. Agnisar Kriya:
Kriyas are certain types of yogic asanas that poses a positive effect on our intestinal and digestive tracts.
This asana can be practiced both in seated and as well as standing position.
i. Stand straight with your feet together.
ii. Hold both sides of your waist with the palms. Your thumb should be towards the naval and the other fingers towards your back.
iii. Breathe normally.
iv. Step away your right leg from the left one such that there is a distance of 12-14 inches between them.
v. Now inhale and bend forward to place both your hands on your knees.
vi. You should not look down; look straight to a point in front of you.
vii. Exhale with force blowing your stomach like a balloon. Hold for 2 seconds.
viii. Inhale again deeply retaining the breath for 2 seconds.
ix. Repeat this stomach pumping procedure for 5 times. After you do this inhalation and exhalation process for 5 times, you have completed one round.
x. Repeat 5 other rounds taking a 5 seconds break between each round.
Some important points to remember:
- Avoid all junk food. Replace them with fresh fruits and veggies.
- Reduce the size of your meals.
- Aerated drinks, alcohol or soda should not form a part of your diet list from now on.
- Avoid ice creams and cheese. They slow down digestion thereby forming bad breath.
- Keep your mouth clean always. Not only brushing your teeth, also clean your tongue and massage your gum with your fingers for atleast 5 minutes after brushing. This should be done every day. The massage increases blood circulation thereby improving oral health and reducing bacterial growth.
- Have lots of water and fiber rich foods.
Home remedies to prevent bad breath:
- Have fenugreek herbal tea regularly. You will get them in the market or even prepare it at home. Put some fenugreek seeds in your regular tea. Strain and drink it.
- Make a natural herbal mouthwash at home. In 2 cups of water mix some shredded parsley twigs along with some grounded cloves. Use this 2-3 times a day.
- Mix a tsp of baking powder with water. Rinse your mouth and gargle with this water after meals.
- Mix one tbsp of honey with a few drops of lemon juice. Have this every morning and afternoon.
- Eat two mint leaves twice a day.
- Practice pranayama for 30 to 45 minutes every day.
Practice this yoga cure for bad breath regularly and follow these simple tips to save yourself from embarrassing bad breath.
Latest posts by Mounika Raghavan (see all)
- 8 Yoga Mudras To Overcome Any Ailments!! - January 1, 2016
- How I Lost 60 Pounds By Healing Myself? - June 17, 2014
- 8 Yoga Exercises For Stretching Your Body - February 8, 2013
- A Complete Summer Health Guide For Diabetics - February 4, 2013
- 10 Yoga Exercises To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes - February 2, 2013