In my previous article I had discussed about different types of perms. In today’s article I will give you tips on hair care for permed hair. Permanent wave or most commonly known as perm is a type of hair style which involves the use of chemicals to break and reform the bonds of the hair.
Tips for Permed Hair
- In this process the hair is firstly washed and then wrapped on a perming rod.
- You can choose to have loose curls or tight curls by changing the thickness of the perm rod.
- Then a waving solution is applied on the hair with a base.
- This solution helps in breaking the bonds of the protein chains of the hair, thus softening the inner structure of the hair.
- After the solution gets absorbed in the hair, the hair is washed again to remove any traces of the solution.
- The hair stretches and softens, thus making it easier to perm.
Is it safe to perm coloured hair???
Yes, perms are safe for coloured or bleached hair. However you should always go for acid perm as it is specially made for coloured or treated hair. It is advisable to get a strand test done prior to perming your hair. This is the best way to make sure that your hair will not get damaged from the effects of perming.
[ Read: Types of Permed Hairstyles ]
How long will the perm last??
The effect of perm lasts for about 6 weeks to 8 months. It majorly depends on your hair growth. So you should always get a touch up done on your root tips to maintain your perm.
Post Permed Hair Tips…
1. You should shampoo your hair only 24 or 48 hours after perming process. This is because your hair is very fragile and it needs time to adjust to the chemicals used in your treatment.
2. Use a shampoo which is specially meant for “chemically treated hair.” These suit your chemically treated hair as they have gentle ingredients. All other shampoos are too strong for your fragile hair which may contain harsh chemicals.
5. Avoid using comb through your hair in the first 24 hours. Instead use your fingers to comb through your hair and then comb with a wide toothed comb.
6. Do not tie your hair into a ponytail or a bun. Let your hair open for 1 day or 2 days. It will avoid any deformation in your curls and help to maintain its shape.
[Read: Perm Celebrity Hairstyles ]
7. Also trim your hair every 4-5 weeks. This will not only keep your hair healthy but will also spring up your curls.
[ Read: Permed Hair That Are In Vogue ]
After all keeping your hair healthy after a perm is lot easier than what you think!!!
Till then take care.
Keep it stylish!!
Latest posts by Ankita Biswas (see all)
- Best Leave-in Conditioners – Our Top 10 Picks - December 3, 2013
- 6 Types Of Meditation Techniques And Their Benefits - November 26, 2013
- Top 10 Meditation Videos For Reference - November 13, 2013
- Top 5 Dove Face Washes Available In India - October 25, 2013
- Best Ayurvedic Shampoos – Our Top 10 - October 8, 2013