Hair is a woman’s pride. It is something to flaunt! But when the thickness of your ponytail starts decreasing it is time to pay some serious attention. It is heart breaking and stressful to comb your hair and find a whole clump of your hair sticking to the comb. This is where yoga can come in handy! Yoga helps immensely to grow back your lost hair. Adopting asanas in yoga to prevent hair loss is one of the most effective solutions in the long run.
Reasons for hair loss:
- Too much stress
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Hormonal problems
- Using too many hair products
- Heat treatments on hair
It is good to know that hair loss due hereditary is curable. If you can control your unhealthy lifestyle habits and practice pranayama and meditation, you can deal with hair loss issues a lot more easily. Here are some exercises from the ancient books of yoga for hair loss prevention.
Asanas of Yoga for Hair Loss
As far as yoga poses for hair loss control go, a few are exceptionally effective! They are listed below.
1. Balayam Yoga (Rubbing nails):
This yoga asana was made famous by Baba Ramdev. It is simple and highly affective.
- You can do this asana either sitting or standing.
- Curl the fingers of both hands inwards towards your palm.
- Bring the nails of both your hands in contact with each other and start rubbing them vigorously ensure leaving out the thumbnails.
- Keep rubbing your nails continuously for 5-7 minutes at a stretch.
Besides hair loss, Balayam yoga can also cure dandruff and premature graying of hair.
By doing this, the roots of the hair follicles connected to the fingernails pump energy to the scalp needed for hair growth.
2. Uttanasana (Stand forward bend pose):
- Stand straight with your legs close to one another touching your knees, heels, feet and toes.
- Inhale deeply.
- Now while exhaling, lift up your hands and bend forward, until your fingers and then your hands touch the floor.
- If possible, you can also bring your hands behind your heels.
- Hold on this position with some normal breathing.
- When you want to come out of this pose, inhale in deeply and stand back straight.
- For beginners, if you are not able to touch the ground with your hands, then fold your hands and hold your right elbow with left hand and left elbow with right hand.
This asana it helps better hair growth because of two reasons:
- If you have noticed, your head is hanging below your heart allowing allows blood to circulate properly in your scalp leading to proper hair growth.
- Another reason is that Uttanasana de-stresses you and relieves you of all anxiety and tensions which is a primary reason for hair loss.
3. Sasangasana (Rabbit pose):
- Sit with your knees on the floor, hips on your heels in Balasana pose (child pose).
- Now put both your hands at the back and hold your heels.
- Place the crown of your head on the floor and slowly inhale and lift up your hips.
- Hold this position until five breaths.
- Exhale as you slowly unroll yourself back to child pose.
- Relax and repeat again.
This asana is again beneficial because while the crown is on the ground, the blood flows to the head. Proper circulation of blood to scalp means good and healthy hair growth.
4. Ustrasana (Camel Pose):
- Sit straight on the floor with your knees in a way that the calves of your knees form right angle.
- Keep hands on your waist, fingers in the front and thumb behind.
- Now bend your spine backward and hold the heels of your feet with your hands or you may also touch the soles of your feet.
- As you bend your spine, also move your face upwards and try looking at the ceiling.
- Hold on this pose for a few seconds and keep your breathing normal.
- Exhale while exiting from this pose.
- Sit in baby pose or Balasana and relax.
Follow some precautions while doing this yoga for good hair:
- For beginners, do not bend backwards too much as it may cause injury to your lower back.
- You need Flexibility for this asana, if your body is stiff, you’ll never be able to complete this asana until the end.