If there is a curse in the world, it’s definitely the skin menace, Acne! This unpredictable malady manifests itself when least required. Acne knows your social schedule better than you. Hey presto, it will appear when finally you land a date with your crush.
Let’s look at some facts about Adult Acne which will equip us better to banish this bane of our life
What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition. Contrary to the common belief that acne attacks you only during adolescence, acne can strike you during adulthood too. This type of acne is called ‘Adult Acne’.
Adult acne happens to be very annoying and frustrating and is found to have a great negative effect on the quality of life.It weighs down your personality and makes you feel self-conscious and embarrassed in the crowd.
So let’s understand a bit more about the adult acne causes and treatments available.
[ Read:Get Rid of Acne ]
Types of Adult Acne:
Adult acne can be of different types and it is important to be familiar about all these types to identify the right treatment for it.
Commonly known as a zit or pimple, papule is a diminutive, firm, red bump. Made up of swollen blood cells, papule doesn’t contain obvious pus.
A pimple filled with pus, a whitish substance that is a combination of liquid and dead white blood cells, is called pustule. This type of acne usually forms in hair follicles and sweat glands.
A nodule is a huge, tender, lumpy, pus-filled pimple that seats deep in the patient’s skin. It is often characterized by inflammation and ends in scarring. A nodule is quite painful and doesn’t respond to any treatment except isotretinoin.
Cyst is a sac-like lesion filled with a liquid or semi-liquid substance consisting of dead white blood cells and infectious bacteria. Just like nodule, cyst is also severely inflamed, extremely painful and leave behind scars and blemishes. Both nodule and cyst usually occur together in an extreme kind of breakout called nodulocystic. It is also unresponsive to most topical and oral acne treatments.
[ Read: Remove Acne Overnight ]
Causes of Adult Acne:
When it comes to causes of acne flare up, there is a bunch of contributing factors. Some main contributors to the condition are discussed below:
1. Hormonal Imbalance:
Hormonal imbalance is found to be the most common cause of acne eruption in women. Women’s hormones fluctuate during puberty, periods, pregnancy and menopause.
2. Discontinuing Birth-Control Pills:
Many women also experience acne flare up after they stop the use of birth control pills. The pills might have been regulating the hormones and thus, playing a part in preventing breakouts.
3. Prescribed Medications:
Additionally, acne eruption can also be result of the side effects of certain prescribed medication you might be taking for various conditions.
- These medications include anticonvulsants, corticosteroids, and sobriety drugs.
- It is highly advisable not to discontinue the use of your prescribed medications, but rather consult your physician and ask him to change the medication which will not bring about such issues.
- Moreover, female adult acne can also be brought about by the birth control pills lacking estrogen and just containing progestins.
Adult acne can also be hereditary. In a study, almost 50% adult-acne sufferers were found to have a first-degree relative (parent or a sibling) suffering from the condition.
Stress is another chief contributor to breakouts in females. Increased stress levels trigger the body to produce more androgen hormones. Androgens stimulate the oil producing glands and hair follicles in the skin. When these glands and follicles are over-activated during stress times, acne eruptions take place.So be happy and see your acne disappear
6. Certain Personal Care Products:
- Some personal care products such as oil-based sunscreens or hair greases prop up a particular type of acne known as ‘acne cosmetica’.
- So, those having oily or acne prone skin should be very careful while picking skin and hair products.
- Opt for the products that read “non-comedogenic” or “non-acnegenic.” These labels indicate that the product is less likely to cause breakouts.
[ Read: Foods That Cause Acne ]
Treatment of Adult Acne:
There is a wide range of anti-acne treatments marketed today that claim to eliminate lesions effectively. You can also find several skincare products devised specifically for acne prone skin in the market. Here is a brief account of some natural and prescribed treatments for adult acne to help you find the right treatment for your particular condition:
A. Prescribed Medication for Adult Acne:
Prescribed medications for curing adult acne are of two types—topical and oral. Topical treatments are used externally whereas the oral ones are consumed internally.
Prescribed topical treatments for adult acne include creams, lotions and gels containing ‘active ingredients’ to destroy acne causing germs. Most of these topical medications produce best results as long as the condition is mild. Here are some effective topical adult acne medications:
1. Salicylic Acid:
It is a topically-applied anti inflammatory chemical that is used in several over the counter products to relieve irritation in the problem area.There are a lot of face washes with salicylic acid
2. Benzoyl Peroxide:
Benzoyl peroxide is a beta-hydroxy acid that penetrates deep into the patient’s skin, clears clogged pores and kills infection-causing germs. You can find Benzoyl peroxide in several anti-acne products.
Crème derivative of vitamin A, Tretinoin cleans the pores and thereby assists you in keeping the breakouts at bay. However, apart from the clear-skin benefits, a number of potential health and skincare risks such as birth defects and photosensitivity are also associated with the use of this treatment. So, women should be very careful while using Tretinoin.
[ Read: How to Reduce pimples ]
If topical medications fail to produce results, physicians recommend oral treatments to the sufferers. Oral treatments are effective but are risky too, especially for those women who want to get pregnant. Some commonly recommended anti-acne products in oral medications are:
1. Contraceptive Pills:
Neutralizing the effects of sex hormones which cause pore inflammation, contraceptive pills, helps you overcome adult acne flare ups.
The two most recommendable antibiotics for dealing with adult acne are tetracyclines and minocyclines. Although they produce results these antibiotics are also known to cause skin sensitivity in many patients.
Isotretinoin is a vitamin A derivative that is taken orally to avoid excessive production of oil and its accumulation in the pores. Usually the patients experiencing severe cystic acne are recommended to use this medicine. But, akin to most anti-acne medications, Isotretinoin also has potential risks associated with it. Pregnant women are strictly advised to steer clear of this medicine as it can bring about various birth defects.
Adult Acne Home Remedies:
Aside from the synthetic solution, plethora of natural adult acne treatments are also available for female .Opt for these treatments to control acne without resorting to chemical based products and prescribed medication.
1. Vitamin A:
Found in many different veggies and fruits, vitamin A is a proven remedy to heal acne damaged skin. It can do wonders for your skin and eyes. A diet consists of vitamin A snacks is a great alternative to prescribed topical treatments of acne. You can also consider taking vitamin A supplements to speed up the healing process. Always initiate supplements on doctors’ prescriptions to avoid any overdose.
2. Juniper oil:
Infused with antibacterial properties, juniper oil facilitates elimination of acne by destroying the infection causing bacteria present on your skin. Moreover, it also boasts of astringent properties that unclog the pores and cleanse your skin thoroughly, which in turn reduce the odds of breakouts.
Unlike prescribed antibiotics for acne treatment, probiotics create a healthy balance of advantageous and injurious bacteria in your system. In addition, they might also work to clarify your skin by reducing swelling and cutting back on the sebum production. Team up these probiotics with a healthy diet and the right topical treatment for maximum efficacy.
4. Burdock root:
Burdock root has long been known and used for treating several skin conditions including all types of acne. Usually grown in domestic gardens, this miraculous herb contains various active ingredients, such as arcigen and chlorogenic acid. These active ingredients hinder the growth of acne-causing bacteria thus helping you prevent and fix the condition. You can consume burdock root orally in the form of tea or use it as topical treatment to fight your adult acne.
5. Herbal tea:
At times, poor diet habits or improper functioning of liver trigger the acne and pimples.
In such cases, herbal teas can work like magic to fix the issue. Green tea, chamomile tea, licorice tea and rooibos tea are a few popular herbal teas that have established repute as anti-acne treatments and have long been used for this purpose across the globe.
These detoxification teas detoxify your body getting you back the healthier, clearer skin you once enjoyed.
6. Herbal steam:
Herbal facial steams are another recognized treatment to fight adult acne. Made from organic herbs and uncontaminated essential oils, herb steam unclogs and deep cleanses the pores leaving you with clear, healthy, soft and rejuvenated skin.
- First cleanse your skin thoroughly.
- Bring 2 cups water to boil and transfer to a bowl.Steep the herbs
- Now cover your head with a towel and place your face 6-10 inches over the bowl.
- Steam at least five to eight minutes and finally pat your face dry.
- Follow with your regular moisturizer to replenish your skin the moisture that it might have lost during steaming process.
Other Treatment Alternatives:
If your adult acne is stubborn enough not to respond to any natural or prescribed medications or the specialized products for acne skin, then surgical treatment is the only way to get clear skin. You can consider laser therapy or if you can afford, you can go for plastic surgery to replace the damaged skin with a healthy, clear one. You can opt for this only when you are failed with all the above medications and home remedies for adult acne.
1. Facials for Acne Skin:
There is a large array of facials for acne skin conditions to choose from. Always consult your dermatologist before starting any facial regime. Always patch test for any skin irritations. You can try these homemade anti-acne facials. These facials are highly effective for treating teen and adult acne and can be used once in fifteen days until the problem fades away.
2. Egg White Facial:
Egg white works like magic to eliminate breakouts. You can give your face an egg-white facial treatment to get rid of pesky pimples and scars.
- Take two egg whites and beat them well so they transform into a sticky paste.
- Cleanse the pimple and smear that paste over it. Hold it for ten minutes before rinsing with tepid water.
3. Baking Soda Facial:
Baking soda is another wonderful home remedy not only for treating acne, but also for eliminating post-acne scars. Be it a baking soda facial or a baking soda scrub, it works wonders to take away the damaged skin cells revealing the underlying healthier skin.
- To create a baking soda facial, you need to blend adequate dosages of water and baking soda together so you get a toothpaste-like consistency.
- Cleanse your skin and apply that mixture onto the problem area using light circular motion.
- Wipe it off after fifteen minutes. You’ll definitely witness a remarkable improvement in your skin condition after a few days of regular use.
4. Oatmeal Facial:
Take some oatmeal powder, onion juice and honey, and mix them together to form a thick paste. Spread the paste on top of your pre-cleansed acne for five minutes and then wash off.
Extra Tips for Acne Skin Care:
- Always keep your skin clean. Don’t let dirt, oil and other impurities clog the pores leading your skin to breakouts. Make it a point to cleanse your face at least twice a day with a specialized cleanser.
- Always consume a healthy and balanced diet consisting of green veggies, fruits, dairy products, meat and fish. Stay away from junk and fried foods and drink plenty of water to keep your body well hydrated.
- Never squeeze a pimple or you’ll aggravate the condition.
- Never sleep with makeup on. The remnants of makeup will clog the pores increasing the risks of acne eruption.
- Wash bed linens and pillowcases once a week.
- Always use your skincare products and don’t share them. Be sure to change the cleanser often.
It’s easier to combat a known devil than an unknown one. So now you can look at various treatments to get rid of acne .You just need one virtue and that is patience.
- 5 Homemade Face Packs For Acne And Pimples With Videos
- 7 Easy Ways To Use Olive Oil To Get Rid Of Acne Scars
- 25 Best Anti Acne And Pimple Creams
- Top 12 Foods To Include In Your Acne Diet
- How To Use Honey To Remove Acne At Home?
Latest posts by Shaista (see all)
- 11 Amazing Health Benefits Of Honeysuckle - October 1, 2013
- 10 Best Benefits Of Lemon Juice For Skin, Hair And Health - September 19, 2013
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Orange Juice - September 13, 2013
- Can Dandruff Cause Hair Loss? - August 14, 2013
- Top 10 Best Benefits Of Apple Juice (Seb Ka Ras) - August 2, 2013