The beauty benefits of Aloe Vera are well known all across the world. This plant is believed to have originated in Northern Africa, Madagascar and Arabian Peninsula. This succulent plant stores water in its leaves stems and roots, which gives it a fleshy appearance.
It is used as an active ingredient in moisturizers, face washes, soaps and sunscreen lotions due to its moisturizing, curative and calming properties. The ancient Greeks and Romans used aloe vera for treating wounds, cuts and inflammation. It is believed that Egyptian Queen Cleopatra used aloe vera gel as a part of her beauty regime.
[ Read: Simple Remedies For Pimples On Forehead ]
Let’s find out how this herb heals acne and pimples and treats the scars caused by them:
- The antibacterial properties of aloe vera gel are very effective in treating acne and reducing the redness caused by it. It prevents bacteria from infecting acne wounds and accelerates the process of healing. Its anti-fungal properties are useful for treating inflammation like boils and cysts on the skin.
- Magnesium lactate present in Aloe helps to alleviate the itching sensation caused by acne. Magnesium lactate is also effective in treating skin rashes and sunburns.
- The astringent property of aloe removes excess oil and dirt from the skin to prevent acne breakout. It reduces the size of inflamed nodules and cysts to relieve pain caused by the swelling.
- Not just acne, aloe gel also helps to reduce acne scars by promoting skin regeneration. Anthraquinone present in aloe invigorates skin’s essential nutrients and boosts cell development and restoration. This can be very helpful in removing acne scars and make your skin look radiant and flawless. It also lightens skin pigmentation to reduce the appearance of scars and blemishes caused by acne and pimples.
- Aloe Vera contains saponins like gibberellin, mannans and polysaccharides which kill acne causing bacteria and viruses, including propioni bacteria that lead to severe acne. This plant also contains salicylic acid, a compound which unclogs the pores and eliminates acne, blackheads and whiteheads from the skin. It further helps to regulate the pH balance of the skin.
- Dirt build-up in the skin clogs the pores, leading to bacterial infection and blackheads. Regular application of this gel on the face tightens the pores, thereby, decreasing the pores exposure to germs.
- Remember! Aloe Vera does not cure acne, but reduces the swelling, inflammation and redness associated with it.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Acne?
There are numerous ways to use aloe to fight acne. Some of them include:
- For treating acne and scars with aloe, wash your face with a gentle cleanser and apply this gel on face and neck area. Leave it overnight and wash the next morning.
- You can also use this gel as a facial mask. Blend aloe vera gel, honey and rose water to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask on the acne prone areas and wash it off after 20 minutes. Apply this mask thrice a week to get rid of acne. You can also add a pinch of turmeric to this facial mask to brighten your complexion.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to aloe vera gel and mix well to form a paste. Apply this mask on your face and neck and let it stay overnight. The antibacterial properties of lemon and aloe vera gel clear acne and will prevent further breakout.
- Use organic aloe vera soap twice a day to reduce acne and maintain an even skin tone. Make sure that the soap contains glycerin as an active ingredient, lest it might result in dry and flaky skin.
- Not just the gel, but even the juice is also effective for treating acne. Blend aloe vera gel with water and apply it on the face using a cotton ball. Leave it for an hour and then wash it off. This will reduce the formation of acne by nourishing the skin.
[ Read: Use Olive Oil To Get Rid Of Acne Scars ]
- Drink half a glass of freshly squeezed aloe vera juice daily to increase the vitality of the skin. Pick a large leaf of aloe vera juice and wash it thoroughly to remove all the dirt and debris. Squeeze the gel from it and blend it with carrot juice to make a refreshing drink. Apply this mask on the acne prone areas and wash it off after twenty minutes.
- Why wait? Make aloe your friend and others will start envying you for your radiant, glowing skin.