Boysenberry is purple-blue coloured, large, juicy berry that is actually a cross between European raspberry, Logan berry and Pacific berry. This berry taste a little tangy and can be enjoyed as a whole fruit or as jam, jellies, sauces, syrups and so on.
They can also be used in desserts, yogurt and smoothies to add sweet tartness, making the recipe even more scrumptious and irresistible. Boysenberries are not only delicious but are also highly nutritious too!
Boysenberries Nutrition Value:
- Calories: A standard serving of unsweetened boysenberries comprises of 142 calories. Six of these calories come from fats, 10 from proteins and the rest of 126 calories are carbohydrates – mostly sugar.
[ Read: Benefits of Green Beans ]
- Vitamins: Boysenberries are high in vitamins. A single serving of boysenberries is just enough to satisfy 45% of daily recommended value of folate and 28% of vitamin K. The other vitamins it hosts include vitamin A, B6, C, E, thiamine and niacin. Considerable dosages of riboflavin and pantothenic acid are also found in boysenberries.
[ Read: Medicinal Uses of Black Pepper ]
- Minerals:Boysenberries are an excellent source of various health benefitting minerals as well. One serving of boysenberries can replenish your body with manganese, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, copper and magnesium.
[ Read: Health Benefits of Raspberries ]
- Proteins:These can be a great snack option for those who want to supplement their protein intake. Most of the proteins found in boysenberries are the essential amino acids you need to consume externally and they are enough to meet 6% of your daily requirements.
- Fats: Boysenberries encompass almost one gram of fats per serving. Most of these fats are of healthy, unsaturated variety and hence don’t increase the level of bad cholesterol LDL in your system.
- Carbohydrates:Lastly, boysenberries also contain 35 grams carbohydrates in a single serving. Of these 35 grams, 20 grams of carbohydrates are of sugar while the rest 25 are of dietary fibers.
See the table below for in depth analysis of nutrients in a boysenberry:
|Nutrition Facts Boysenberries, frozen, unsweetened|
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Vitamin A||88.44 IU||2%|
|Vitamin E||1.15 mg||4%|
|Vitamin D||0 IU||0%|
|Vitamin C||4.09 mg||7%|
|Vitamin B-6||0.07 mg||4%|
|Vitamin B-12||0 µg||0%|
|Vitamin K||10.3 µg||13%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.33 mg||3%|
|Folate, total||83.16 µg||21%|
|Choline, total||13.46 mg||0%|
|Folic acid||0 µg||0%|
Rich in countless healthy nutrients, boysenberries health benefits are innumerable. A few of them are given below:
1. Healthy Brain:
Boysenberries are found to be highly beneficial for human brain. They actually host powerful and natural antioxidant, anthocyanin which is extremely important for a healthy brain. It offers protection against oxidative damage thus preventing brain aging and Alzheimer’s disorder. Moreover, boysenberries also play a significant role in booting memory.
2. Tumour and Cancer Prevention:
Owing to the excellent anti-inflammatory properties they possess, boysenberries help fight against colon and esophagus tumours. Whereas, it’s cancer-inhibitory qualities make it a wonderful snack for preventing different types of cancer.
3. Robust Heart and Vision:
Being a rich source of vitamin C, boysenberries boost an individual’s immune system reducing the risks of cardiovascular diseases and prenatal health issues. In addition, it also helps alleviation and prevention of certain vision-related disorders.
[ Read: Goji Berry Benefits ]
4. Kidney Stones and Diabetes Prevention:
Abundance of vitamin K makes boysenberries an amazing ingredient to avoid kidney stones. Additionally, it is also shown to have great diabetes prevention benefits.
5. Digestive Problems:
They have long been known as an effective treatment to relieve constipation and other digestive problems.
There are the boysenberry health benefits! So have a gulp of these tangy Boysenberries and keep yourself fit and healthy.
Latest posts by Shaista (see all)
- 11 Amazing Health Benefits Of Honeysuckle - October 1, 2013
- 10 Best Benefits Of Lemon Juice For Skin, Hair And Health - September 19, 2013
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Orange Juice - September 13, 2013
- Can Dandruff Cause Hair Loss? - August 14, 2013
- Top 10 Best Benefits Of Apple Juice (Seb Ka Ras) - August 2, 2013