Okra is better known by its common name as lady’s finger or gumbo. This high fiber vegetable is known for its high soluble and insoluble fiber content. This vegetable is usually used in many recipes and is also a part of many nutritional diets, as it is highly beneficial. Let us quickly look at the some of the amazing benefits of okra.
Okra USDA Nutrition Chart:
Percentage of RDA
|Total Fat||0.1 g||0.5%|
|Dietary Fiber||9%||3.2 g|
|Pantothenic acid||0.245 mg||5%|
|Vitamin C||21.1 mg||36%|
|Vitamin A||375 IU||12.5%|
|Vitamin E||0.36 mg||2.5%|
|Vitamin K||53 µg||44%|
100 grams of Okra contains 1.5% energy from calories, 7.03 gram carbohydrates, 2 gram protein, 0.1 gram fat and 9% fiber. Such fiber content can prove to be very beneficial for the body. Other nutrients are folates 88mg, niacin 1mg, Vitamin C 21.1mg, Vitamin E 0.36mg and Vitamin K 53mg. Other than these, Okra also contains calcium 81mg, copper 0.094mg, iron 0.8mg, magnesium 57mg, manganese 0.99mg, phosphorous 63mg and zinc 0.6 mg.
[ Read: Cabbage Benefits ]
Health Benefits Of Okra/Lady’s Finger:
1. High fiber content:
The dietary fiber content of okra/lady’s finger is known to be high and hence many health specialists recommend it for digestive benefits. The fibers aid the process of digestion in the body by facilitating proper bowel movement.
2. Prevents Diabetes:
Okra is known to aid in prevention of diabetes. It is rich in fibre which helps in the prevention of this disease.
3. Good folate content:
Folates present in okra reduce the neural tube defects in a new born baby. So it is highly recommended for women during pre conception period or pregnancy.
4. Vitamin K benefits:
Vitamin K is a co-factor in blood-clotting process. It also plays a major role in strengthening the bones in our body.
5. Controls Asthma:
Asthma can also be treated by including Okra/ lady fingers in your meals. People diagnosed with asthma are strongly suggested to consume Okra.
6. Prevents Constipation:
Facilitating proper absorption of water, Okra/ lady finger vegetable ensures free motion disposal by the body and hence prevents constipation.
7. Prevents Sun stroke:
Okra helps prevent sun strokes.
8. Prevents colon cancer:
It is believed that all diseases begin in the colon; Adding Okra to your meals ensures prevention of colon cancer and related diseases to a great extent
9. Controls obesity:
With regular usage of okra, in either raw or cooked form, you can avoid obesity to a great extent. Obesity is not necessarily due to consumption of fatty and calorific foods but also due to lack of nutrients.
10. Controls cholesterol level:
This vegetable ensures lesser absorption of cholesterol preventing heart diseases and ailments occurring due to cholesterol in the blood. Cholesterol is a dominant factor in the body that triggers obesity and heart diseases.
Now that we got the health benefits of okra covered, lets move on to the rest of the benefits.
Skin Benefits Of Okra:
11. Dietary fibre for healthy skin:
Okra is a rich source of dietary fiber. It is also keeps the digestion problem away. Proper digestion reflects through a healthy-looking skin.
12. Vitamin C for younger skin:
Vitamin C found in okra actually helps maintain a younger looking skin. It aids in repairing body tissues. This in turn helps keep your skin younger and also makes it look more vibrant.
13. Prevents skin pigmentation:
The nutrients found in okra actually helps to prevent skin pigmentation. It is useful for rejuvenating your skin and repairing damages.
Hair Benefits Of Okra:
14. Bouncy hair:
If you are tired of your distressed hair, try using okra to get that bounce back. Boil okra with some water and the transparent mucilage that you get can be used to get your bouncy hair back.
15. Hair conditioner:
The same mucilage can be used as hair conditioner. Wash your hair and squeeze out excess water. Massage the watery mucilage through your hair and rinse thoroughly with water.
16. Scalp moisturiser:
Okra is an excellent moisturizer for your dry and itchy scalp. It leaves your hair feeling soft and isn’t harmful like other cosmetics available in the market. It is great for people with unruly, curly and lifeless hair.
17. Fights dandruff:
Okra improves the overall scalp condition and fights dandruff. It moisturizes your scalp and keeps dandruff away.
18. Shiny hair:
Okra, when used as a hair rinse, gives great shine to your hair. You can give your regular conditioner a miss once in a while and take care of your hair the natural way.
Other Benefits Of Okra/Lady’s Finger:
- Improving immunity
- Improving eyesight
- Weight loss
- Preventing constipation
- Avoiding anaemia
- Preventing diabetes
How To Select Good Quality Okra?
Although topical use of okra does a lot of good, we just cannot ignore how beneficial its intake is. Most of us are left clueless when questioned about how to select good Okra. Here is a quick guide to help you understand the selection process better.
- Smaller pods – Always look for smaller pods because they are tender. They taste better than the larger ones which are tough and stringy too.
- Bright colour – Look out for bright green-coloured pods. You may also find varieties of burgundy or deep red. Those are also used for cooking purpose but green ones are widely used.
- Unblemished pods – While selecting okra, try and look for unblemished ones. These are fresh and are not rotten from inside.
- Firmness – Check for the firmness of okra. While the smaller pods are generally tender, they should not be very soft.
How To Store Okra?
- Okra should be stored unwashed.
- You can store it in a paper bag or simply wrap it in a newspaper. If you don’t have a paper bag, you can also store it in a perforated plastic bag.
- Make sure you keep it in the warmest part of your refrigerator. This would help you store it for up to 3 days at least.
- Okra tends to decay faster when kept really cold. So make sure you store it in warmer temperature in your refrigerator.
- Simply blanch the whole okra and freeze it if you want to store it longer.
Tips For Usage:
- Before cooking, thoroughly wash and rinse whole okra well with water.
- After washing, pat it dry completely, using a dry towel.
- You can then store it in a zip-lock bag and leave it overnight in the fridge before using it next day. This will make it less slimy while cooking. This will make okra freeze solid.
- Add okra immediately to your dish after taking it out from the refrigerator. You can use it as whole or chopped.
- Always trim the ends before adding it to your dish.
- Don’t allow it to thaw to avoid it from sliming out.
Tips For Cooking:
- To avoid too much sliming, fry it in oil a little before adding all spices. This reduces the slime to a great extent. Remove okra from the pan and set aside and add it towards the end after you have prepared the rest of the dish.
- Soak it in vinegar or lemon water before using it. Another option is to add lemon or vinegar to the dish itself to cut down the slime.
- Blanch okra for 3-4 minutes to reduce the slime and add to the dish when it is almost cooked.
A Delicious Okra Recipe:
Due to presence of such nutrients, you should definitely include Okra in your regular diet. With its less cholesterol and calorie content it can be eaten in considerable amounts too.
Okra or Lady’s Finger can be consumed in many ways. The best way to consume it is to make a vegetable without gravy. Sausage Okra, Okra with salted corn, Fried Okra etc. are some other healthy recipes which can be made using Okra. We all have okra the normal way, i.e, in form of vegetable dish. Here is a recipe that is quick, tasty and different too.
Okra, grapeseed oil or olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
- First prepare the charcoal grill on high heat flame.
- Trim the ends or the stems of the okra.
- Now toss it in oil thoroughly so as to cover it with oil.
- Place okra on charcoal grill and cover with a lid.
- Let it remain covered till you see grill marks on okra. It should look a little charred on the edges.
- Turn it thereafter and let it get grilled on the other side as well.
- Once done, remove it from the grill and sprinkle some salt and lemon juice and enjoy your grilled hot okra.
Hope you enjoyed this article and found it useful too. Please leave us your comments and tell us how you liked it. Stay fit, stay healthy!
Did You Find This Article Helpful?
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- 10 Simple Tricks To Make Your Face Look Flawless Without Makeup - December 26, 2014
- 3 Simple Meditation Techniques To Boost Your Concentration - December 26, 2014
- 8 Easy Ways To Lose A Pounds In Just A Day - December 15, 2014
- 8 Useful Tips To Achieve Natural Flawless Makeup Look - November 4, 2014