To some people, a day isn’t complete without munching on a crunchy snack. Unfortunately, most snacks are high in calories and fat – almost devoid of ‘real’ nutrition. One snack that’s a favourite of crunchy snack lovers is corn. Are corn kernels healthy?
Corn is packed with high nutrients which are useful for a human body in many ways. It ensures idyllic functioning of several internal systems such as cell generation and prevents constipation and various other digestive problems. It is a boon for diabetic people. This nutrient packed starchy snack is low in total fat and has no saturated fat, sodium or cholesterol. It is high in vitamin C and a good source of fiber.
Benefits Of Sweet Corn
Below listed are the various sweet corn benefits!
Sweet Corn: Skin Benefits
1. Delays Ageing Process:
If you want to remain young and maintain youthful looks, then you definitely have to consume sweet corn. It is a powerhouse of antioxidants useful in preventing the ageing process.
2. Enhances Skin Texture:
With the regular massage of corn oil, there is considerable enhancement in your skin texture.
3. Boosts Cell Generation Process:
High in nutrients like folate, sweet corn helps in boosting the cell generation process and is highly beneficial for pregnant women.
4. Promotes Radiant Skin:
A host of essential minerals and vitamins, regular consumption of sweet corn ensures you have a radiant skin and good vision.
5. Removes Facial Acne Scars:
Owing to its high vitamin E content, a paste created with sweet corn can work wonders to remove facial acne scars.
[ Read: Boysenberry Benefits ]
Sweet Corn: Hair Benefits
6. Enhances Blood Circulation in the Scalp:
The corn oil enhances blood circulation in the scalp thereby promoting the follicles to produce healthy and strong tresses.
7. Strengthens Hair Strands:
The vitamin C, lycopene content and various other antioxidants present in sweet corn helps in strengthening the hair strands. It works effectively in dealing with hair loss.
[ Read: Health Benefits of Black Pepper ]
Sweet Corn: How to Select and Store
A good selection in sorting the corn will reap excellent benefits for both health and beauty. Here are some helpful tips for its right selection and storage:
- When it comes to purchasing sweet corn, always look for straight, fuller ones having slightly golden stick.
- Never choose the corn with removed husk or the ones that have been in the sun for the whole day.
- Also avoid choosing the corn with discoloured husks; yellowish husk indicates age or damage. So, always make sure to select the corn with green husk.
[ Read: Green Beans Health Benefits ]
- The best way to store sweet corn is to place it them a refrigerator without removing the husk.
- You may also wrap the corn loosely in a dry plastic bag so as to keep it fresh for more than two days.
Sweet Corn Usage (Cooking and Eating)
Corn is among the few cereals that can be cooked and eaten in a variety of ways. You can consume sweet corn right out of the “maize ears” or use the corn kernels in gravy. It is used for dressing fried rice along with onion and chillies to make an amazing snack. Here are some helpful tips on usage of sweet corn:
- Grill corn with the husk left on; this will help retain the flavour.
- Don’t put the corn in cold water right after boiling them; this will make your corns soggy.
- While boiling the corn, make sure to add enough water so that the corn is completely dipped in it.
- Don’t preserve the corn for long and also avoid over-baking it. Overcooking turns the corn ruby and firm. Three-five minutes are just enough for corn to cook.
- Lastly, it is also advisable not to add salt in the corn while boiling as it will toughen the corn.
- Boiled corn cob seasoned with pepper and salt is the most popular recipe. It is a healthy snack and is extremely delicious. Or, you may also consider grilling the corn instead of boiling it.
- Corn kernels make an amazing, mouth-watering dressing of different soups, curries and dishes. Moreover, they can also be added into salads for making them extra healthy snack.
So try these tips in your delicious corn snacks for an unforgettable taste. Also do post your own corn recipes in the comment box below.
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Shaista (see all)
- 11 Amazing Health Benefits Of Honeysuckle - October 1, 2013
- 10 Best Benefits Of Lemon Juice For Skin, Hair And Health - September 19, 2013
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Orange Juice - September 13, 2013
- Can Dandruff Cause Hair Loss? - August 14, 2013