When we compliment someone on their robust health we often say “your cheeks are as red as a tomato”. Good health and ripe, juicy tomatoes are always interlinked in our minds. Did you ever imagine that the ubiquitous tomato is a powerhouse of nutritional benefits? Let’s look at how the humble tomato can be our friend in the quest for good health and nutrition.
What is a Tomato?
- Tomato is a fruit that is also considered a vegetable and is extensively used in making a wide variety of dishes.
- It is used in vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian dishes all over the world and also for snacks.
- It is famous for being used in pizzas, sandwiches and cocktails too.
- This widely used fruit has many nutritional benefits in addition to its preference in many cultures.
- It belongs to the nightshade family of vegetables and its cultivation has been dominant in ancient Spain since the Aztecs.
- It was introduced to the world by Spanish explorers and it has since gained massive popularity across all regions of the world.
32 Amazing Benefits Of Tomatoes For Skin, Hair And Health:
Health Benefits Of Tomatoes:
Given below are few amazing health benefits of tomatoes:
1. Filling Food:
As tomatoes have high water content, they work perfect as filling food. Tomatoes, with its water content moisturises our skin and keeps it healthy and shiny.
2. Vitamins and Nutritional Content:
It provides almost 20 percent of the daily vitamin intake required, per serving, which is necessary for maintaining good health. It is also known to have all the positive nutrients needed for proper functioning of the human body according to USDA.
3. Controls Heart Rate:
Being rich in potassium content, it gives about 237 mg of potassium which is useful for controlling heart rate and is helpful in preventing heart diseases and strokes.
4. Prevents Eye Diseases:
The vitamins such as vitamin A, flavonoid B complex, thiamine, folates, niacin etc. are also present in tomatoes that help cure skin and eye diseases.
5. High Blood Pressure:
Tomatoes, with a powerful punch of minerals and nutrients also help in safeguarding our body from High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol.
6. Good for Bones and Teeth:
Being rich in Calcium, it tends to improve bone strength and bone formation in the body. It is also beneficial in maintaining the teeth in healthy state.
7. Protects from Free Radicals:
Some of its flavonoid antioxidants, such as lycopene and zea-xanthin are best known to health specialists for their anti-free radical behaviour.
[ Read: Benefits of Avacado for Skin ]
8. Anti Cancerous:
The antioxidant behaviour of this vegetable also helps to prevent many unwanted reactions in the lungs, colon and breasts that can tend to be cancerous. The antioxidants help in the treatment of cancer by preventing carcinogenic reactions in the body which stop by blocking free radicals from proceeding further.
9. Cell Repair and Muscle Building:
It is a naturally rich source of protein, which is good for cell repair and muscle building.
10. Less Fat content:
Other basic nutrients include 4 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of protein, 18 calories and 0 grams of saturated fat. This vegetable can be eaten in good amounts due to the lower rate of calories in tomato.
Skin Benefits of Tomatoes:
Besides cooking, tomato can be used in a number of ways to enhance your beauty. It is considered to be the panacea of skin. It is believed that consuming tomato and tomato products will give you a healthy and beautiful skin. Its beauty benefits are gaining popularity with every passing day. Benefits of tomatoes for skin include the following:
11. Treats Open Pores:
- Add four drops of tomato juice to 1 tablespoon of water and apply it on your face with the help of a cotton ball.
- Gently massage your skin with this mixture and leave it on for 15 minutes. Regular application of this will shrink the pore size.
12. Glowing Skin:
Tomatoes are not just an important part of a healthy diet but also work wonders when applied topically on the skin. Applying tomato juice or rubbing tomato halves on the skin evens out the skin and revives the glow giving you a healthy looking skin. It contains high amount of Vitamin C which is known to brighten skin.
13. Treats Skin Conditions:
Tomato seed oil is the newest addition to the line of natural carrier oils and is excellent for treating several skin conditions. These are packed with a substance that fights free radicals and signs of ageing. Tomato seed oil is used for the treatment of mild to severe skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It is also helpful in treating dry and damaged skin.
- Use a moderate quantity of oil to massage the affected areas of your skin. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next day.
- You can also add this oil to your facial creams, moisturizer and scrubs, to keep the skin soft and smooth.