Elderberries are one among the most tempting and scrumptious fruits on our planet. The visual beauty of this purple, juicy fruit is simply irresistible. It is packed with countless benefiting nutrients and hence, offers innumerable beauty and health benefits.
Scroll down and find the nutrition values and popular health benefits of the soft and plump elderberries.
Elderberry: Health Benefits:
1. Immunity Booster:
Hosting dense concentrations of vitamin C, flavonoids, anthocyanins and several other powerful antioxidants, elderberries have been promoted as an immunity-boosting ingredient. It is a great natural remedy for preventing viral and bacterial infections like cough, cold and flu as well as tonsillitis.
2. Cancer Prevention:
Thanks to being a powerhouse of antioxidants, elderberries work wonders to prevent and inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Not only this, these antioxidants also put a fierce fight against the free radicals which tend to become cancerous and deteriorate healthy cells, if left unchecked.
[ Read: Lettuce Health Benefits ]
3. Regulate Body’s Cholesterol Level:
Elderberry extract contains generous amounts of cynidine glucosides, a substance known to reduce the level of bad LDL cholesterol in the human body. Those experiencing cholesterol problems are often recommended to incorporate elderberries in their routine diet.
[ Read: Artichoke Health Benefits ]
4. Healthy, Youthful Skin:
Infused with innate anti aging and free-radical fighting properties, the elderberries keep your skin radiant and juvenile for a long period. Furthermore, acting as a natural detoxifying agent, elderberry also helps keeping away distressing skin conditions like breakouts, boils and scars at bay.
[ Read: Onion Juice For Hair ]
5. Robust Eyes; Lasting Vision
For centuries now, carrots have been known for their vision enhancing properties. But if carrot doesn’t suit your palate, think about substituting it with elder berry. Crammed with vitamin A and B6, these berries assist alleviation and prevention of various eye conditions such as macular degeneration and glaucoma, ensuring you a lasting vision.
Elderberries: Nutrition Value
Elderberries are a powerhouse of essential vitamin and minerals. These potent nutrients make elderberries a healthy snack with excellent healing properties. A standard 100 gram serving of elderberries is known to contain 60% Vitamin C, 12% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin B6, 5% Thiamin and 4% Riboflavin. All these vitamins work collectively to keep your body fit and healthy always.
These edible berries also hold a remarkable mineral content. Packed naturally with 9% iron, 8% potassium and 4% of calcium and phosphorus each, elderberries ensure the smooth functioning of all the bodily systems.
Additionally, elderberries can be a great addition to your diet if you’re looking for a fiber rich fruit that can boost your digestive system. A single serving of elderberries is just enough to satisfy 28% of your daily fiber requirements and keep your digestive system working efficiently!
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||305 kJ (73 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||7 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||30 μg (4%)|
|Thiamine (vit. B1)||0.07 mg (6%)|
|Riboflavin (vit. B2)||0.06 mg (5%)|
|Niacin (vit. B3)||0.5 mg (3%)|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.14 mg (3%)|
|Vitamin B6||0.23 mg (18%)|
|Folate (vit. B9)||6 μg (2%)|
|Vitamin C||36 mg (43%)|
|Calcium||38 mg (4%)|
|Iron||1.6 mg (12%)|
|Magnesium||5 mg (1%)|
|Phosphorus||39 mg (6%)|
|Potassium||280 mg (6%)|
|Zinc||0.11 mg (1%)|
- Despite the numerous health and beauty benefits, one should go easy on its use as it also contain a little amount of poisonous cyanide-like chemical, which may prove detrimental in the long run.
- Always cook the berries before using them because they are not suitable for consumption in raw form. Also, make sure that the elderberries you’re using are fully ripe.
- Among the countless varieties of elderberries, black one is most suitable for eating. Other types may contain toxic substances.
- Expecting moms and patients suffering from autoimmune diseases should strictly steer clear away from consuming elderberries.
Hope you liked reading the article. Remember to buy them the next time you are buying fruits and reap the numerous health and beauty benefits elderberries have to offer!
Latest posts by Shaista (see all)
- 11 Amazing Health Benefits Of Honeysuckle - October 1, 2013
- 10 Best Benefits Of Lemon Juice For Skin, Hair And Health - September 19, 2013
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Orange Juice - September 13, 2013
- Can Dandruff Cause Hair Loss? - August 14, 2013
- Top 10 Best Benefits Of Apple Juice (Seb Ka Ras) - August 2, 2013