Almost everyone knows that onions are very important for health. An onion, also known as ‘pyaz‘ or ‘kanda‘ or ‘Dungri’ (Hindi), Nirulli / Ullipayalu / Yerra Gaddalu (Telugu), ‘Vaengayam‘ (Tamil), ‘Savala‘ (Malayalam), Ulligadde / Erulli / Neeruli (Kannada), Pyajj / Piyaz (Bengali), Dungri / Kanda (Gujarati) , ‘Kandaa’ (Marathi) is a daily must-have that helps you stay away from many infections and diseases. If you are sick and are looking for a quick heal medicine, then onions are your best option.
The pungent odour might keep you away from onions but they are totally worth it. They can be cooked in almost all the recipes and can be consumed very easily. Onions are loaded with many chemicals that keep you away from illness and also make you glow due to their detoxification properties. Below are a few well-known health benefits of onions.
- Onions have antibiotic, antiseptic, antimicrobial and carminative properties to help you stay away from infections.
- Onions are rich in sulphur, fibers, potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C and they are low in fat, cholesterol and sodium. Here is a detailed Onion Nutrition chart:
- It is an immediate cure for fever, common cold, cough, sore throat, allergies, etc. A mixture of onion juice and honey can cure these problems easily.
- A small piece of onion can work against side effects of fever if it is kept on the forehead.
- A small piece of onion, when inhaled, can stop or slow down the bleeding through the nose.
- An onion a day can cure insomnia or sleeping disorders. This will surely give you a good night’s sleep.
- Onions can improve the digestive system. If you have a digestion problem, then onions can cure it by increasing the release of the digestion juices.
- Onion juice can cure burnt skin or an insect bite or a bee bite. It may burn more but it can heal it very effectively.
- Onions can be used to prevent cancers. It works against head, neck and colon cancers.
- You can protect yourself from osteoporosis and atherosclerosis by consuming onions daily.
- Onions increase the insulin in the body and also treat diabetes by controlling the sugar levels in the blood.
- The bad cholesterol that causes heart problems can be burnt or removed if an onion is consumed daily. It keeps you safe from the coronary diseases and also protects the good cholesterol.
[ Read: Benefits Of Onion For Hair Growth ]
- Inflammation from arthritis in the joints can be healed with onions.
- There is a small trick with onions to get some relief from body pains. Onions should be fried in sesame or castor oil and can be used to heal any aches.
- One of the well-known tricks to remove dark patches or pigments on your face is to apply onion and turmeric juice on that area.
- Onion juice is also used to cure ear and eye problems. This juice is used for infants as eye drops for clear vision.
- This is also used for toothaches and tooth decaying.
- Onions have rejuvenation properties on the body tissues.
- For a few types of moles, onion juice works efficiently by removing them.
- For a good memory and a strong nervous system, consuming onions is your best bet.
- Onions cure menstrual disorders. Raw onions should be consumed before a few days of the beginning of your cycle.
- Use onion juice on the hair or the scalp to get rid of lice and hair fall. This is one of the most prominent of onion benefits for hair.
23. Onions contain water, protein, fats, starch, fibers, minerals, calcium, vitamin C, iron and B complex.
You should consume between 100 – 150 grams of onions in any form depending on your likes and dislikes.
Onion: Skin Benefits
This humble vegetable can provide you with a healthy and glowing skin, thanks to the presence of rich amounts of the antioxidant vitamins A, C and E. Both the consumption and the topical application of onions can provide numerous benefits to your skin.
24. Anti-Ageing Benefits:
Onions possess enormous anti-ageing benefits. The antioxidant vitamins A, C and E fight against the damage caused by the harmful UV rays as well as prevent free radical damage that is responsible for causing premature ageing of our skin. Onion is one of the richest sources of quercetin, the most powerful antioxidant that can keep your skin wrinkle-free. Vitamins and sulphur, on the other hand, protect your skin, and keep it soft and supple. The anti-ageing qualities of onion can be attributed to the presence of sulphur-rich phytochemicals. Massaging your skin with fresh onion juice helps increase the blood circulation and improves the overall appearance of your skin by imparting a more youthful and radiant appearance.
Latest posts by Gayatri (see all)
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Hyacinth Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 25, 2014
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Rue Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 23, 2014
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of St. John’s Wort For Skin, Hair And Health - April 22, 2014
- 32 Amazing Benefits Of Frankincense For Skin, Hair And Health - April 22, 2014