With its tuft of spiky, dusty green leaves and cross-hatched, golden orange skin, the pineapple is spiny from the outside and sweet on the inside. It is called ‘Ananas‘ in Hindi, ‘Anasa Pandu‘ in Telugu, ‘Anasi Pazham‘ in Tamil, ‘Kayita Chakka‘ in Malayalam, and ‘Anarosh‘ in Bengali. It has a distinctive appearance. A single pineapple is, in fact, a collection of multiple fruits; each one is the fruit of an individual blossom. Available year-round in local markets, pineapples have a vibrant tropical flavor that is both sweet and tart.
Pineapples come with a host of benefits for your skin, hair, and health – some of them include strengthening bones, improving respiratory diseases, fighting against infection, and many more. Read on to know about some interesting pineapple benefits.
Significant Benefits Of Pineapple
- Effective Solution for Acne
- Helps Your Skin Look Younger
- Natural Exfoliating Agent
- Get Rid Of Those Cracks On Your Feet
- Softens And Strengthens The Nails
- For Hydrated, Radiant Skin
- Natural Cure For Chapped Lips
- Prevents Free Radical Damage
- Thwarts Cold
- Strong Bones
- Healthy Gums
- Macular Degeneration
- Anti-inflammatory Action
- Cures Sinusitis, Sore Throat, Gout, Swellings
- Anti-Cancer Properties
- Helps Prevent Atherosclerosis
- Maintains Heart’s Health
- Prevents Hypertension
- Treats Intestinal Worms
- Relieves Nausea
Benefits Of Pineapple For Skin
1. Effective Solution For Acne
The presence of Vitamin C in pineapples enables this fruit to be used, internally as well as externally, as a cure for acne and other inflammatory skin conditions (1). Bromelain, the anti-inflammatory enzyme in this fruit, boosts up the healing power of Vitamin C (2).
2. Helps Your Skin Look Younger
This fruit gives the collagen synthesis in your body a boost. The higher the collagen synthesis is, the firmer and more flexible your skin will be. Plus, the added nourishment comes from the presence of amino acids and Vitamin C, which ensures that the damaged cells and tissues are repaired quickly (3). Apply freshly prepared pineapple juice on the face. Wash off using tepid water after 10 minutes.
3. Natural Exfoliating Agent
4. Get Rid Of Those Cracks On Your Feet
The exfoliating property of pineapple, along with its collagen synthesizing nature, makes it an excellent natural scrub for your feet. It helps in sloughing off the flaky, calloused skin of the feet, leaving them smooth, soft, and pretty. The inflammation and swelling, triggered by the cracks, also get relieved (5).
[ Read: Is Pineapple Good For Your Liver? ]
5. Softens And Strengthens Nails
Lack of Vitamin A intake could pave the way for dry, brittle nails. Vitamin B deficiency also causes the nails to crack and split. You do not need any over-the-counter multivitamin pill to ease this condition though! Just use pineapple. You can prepare a nail softening lotion at your home using pineapple juice.
You Will Need
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 drops lemon oil
What You Need To Do
- Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl using a brush or a spoon.
- Apply it to your nails and cuticles with the help of a cotton ball or a thin brush.
- Rinse after 15 minutes.
How Often Should You Do This
You can do this treatment daily before sleeping.
If you’re allergic to lemon juice, do not try this treatment.
6. For Hydrated, Radiant Skin
Dry skin looks dull and unattractive. You can now make use of the pineapple to give your skin that hydrated effect. Mix about three tablespoons of freshly crushed pineapples with an egg yolk and a little milk. Apply it topically on your skin and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash off with tepid water and get moisturized skin.
7. Natural Cure For Chapped Lips
Pineapple, when used along with coconut oil, offers relief from chapped lips. Pineapple, like coconut oil, possesses skin hydrating and nourishing properties. Heal your chapped lips and soften them with a pineapple and coconut oil mixture.
Benefits Of Pineapple For Hair
8. Prevents Hair Loss
Vitamin C is an important element that aids in preventing hair loss. It is a powerful antioxidant that combats free radical damage. Pineapple is a rich source of this water soluble vitamin. Eat them as wedges or just juice them fresh and drink it to reap the benefits of Vitamin C and prevent hair loss (6).
9. Good For Inflammatory Scalp Conditions
Bromelain is an anti-oxidative enzyme that possesses anti-inflammatory powers. Daily consumption of pineapple prevents and eases inflammatory conditions, which affect the scalp. It also offers relief from infections of the scalp, preventing unwanted hair fall.
10. For Thicker Hair
Pineapple extracts are known to possess hair thickening properties. The enzymes present in this golden-yellow fruit enrich the hair follicles by rendering necessary vital nutrients. This, in turn, improves the elasticity and thickness of the hair.
Benefits Of Pineapples For Health
Pineapples are loaded with vitamin A and C, fiber, potassium, phosphorous, and calcium. They offer a wide range of health benefits.
11. Prevent Free Radical Damage
Pineapples are a rich source of antioxidants that helps fight against free radicals in the body, thereby preventing further cellular damage. These antioxidants also protect our body from diseases like atherosclerosis, heart diseases, arthritis, various cancers, etc.
12. Prevent Colds
Pineapples are abundant in vitamin C and bromelain, which fight against microbial infections. Eating pineapples with the prescribed medicines can help cure colds and coughs effectively.
13. Strong Bones
[ Read: How Does Pineapple Help In Weight Loss? ]
14. Healthy Gums
15. Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration is a condition in which adults lose their vision. Beta-carotene present in pineapples improves vision (9).
16. Anti-inflammatory Action
Pineapple fruit is well-known for its anti-inflammatory properties which prevent inflammation in arthritis patients and gives strength to the bones (10).
17. Cures Sinusitis, Sore Throat, Gout, Swellings
Pineapples help prevent sinusitis. They are also effective in curing sore throat, gout, and swellings (11).
[ Read: Is Pineapple A Cure For Sore Throat? ]
18. Anti-Cancer Properties
The abundance of antioxidants in pineapples helps fight against free radicals. This also halts the process of cell damage and prevents several types of cancers (12).
19. Helps Prevent Atherosclerosis
Free radicals cause atherosclerosis, which can be easily prevented by the antioxidants in pineapples (13).
20. Maintains Heart’s Health
Powerful antioxidants present in pineapple help lower the cholesterol levels in the body, thereby preventing heart diseases (14).
Vitamin C and antioxidants present in pineapples boost the immunity system of our body (15).
Pineapple is rich in bromelain, vitamin C, and dietary fiber that promote digestion (16).
Pineapple is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing inflammation in bronchial tubes which generally arises due to bronchitis (17).
It is a disorder in which there is inflammation of the mucus membrane in one of the airways or cavities of the body. This disorder can be prevented by eating pineapples regularly (18).
25. Prevents Hypertension
If you’re suffering from high blood pressure and hypertension, then you must start eating pineapples regularly. Higher amounts of potassium and lower amounts of sodium in pineapples help maintain normal blood pressure levels (19).
26. Treats Intestinal Worms
Pineapple contains the digestive enzyme bromelain. A diet rich in pineapple helps clear certain intestinal parasites such as tapeworms.
27. Relieves Nausea
Pineapple juice averts nausea or morning sickness. Pregnant women experience nausea quite often, it’s advisable for them to include pineapple in their diet (20).
[ Read: Benefits Of Pineapple Juice ]
Quick And Easy Ways Of Including Pineapples In Your Daily Diet
- Combine diced pineapple with chopped shrimp, grated ginger, and a few drops of olive oil. Season to taste and serve this fragrant shrimp salad on a bed of romaine lettuce.
- Drizzle maple syrup on pineapple slices and boil until brown. Serve plain or with yogurt.
- Chopped pineapple, grated fennel, and cashews go well together and are especially delicious as a side dish to chicken.
- Presence of pineapple in fruit salads increases its yumminess.
- Add them in your dessert recipes.
- Simply juice it up.
Pineapple Nutrition Profile
Have a quick glimpse of the in-depth nutrition information for pineapples:
Percentage of RDA
Boost Your Health With Pineapples Today!
Below is a quick recipe of an appetizing ‘Pineapple Raita’.
Check out the link:
You Will Need
- Pineapple chopped -1 cup
- Yogurt whisked – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Roasted and powdered cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped – 1 tablespoon
How To Prepare?
- Take yogurt, sugar, powdered cumin seeds, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir well with a whisk until smooth.
- Add diced pineapple to it.
- Transfer the yogurt mixture into a serving dish. Before serving, sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves.
The appetizing ‘Pineapple Raita’ is ready to savor! Enjoy the health benefits of pineapple from this!
Why wait? Enjoy this wonderful, juicy fruit now. Leave a comment below to share your views.
- Top 10 Benefits and Uses Of Pineapple Juice For Skin, Hair and Health
- 17 Best Benefits Of Pomegranate Juice For Skin, Hair And Health
- Top 10 Best Benefits Of Apple Juice
- 19 Best Benefits Of Mosambi Juice For Skin, Hair And Health
Latest posts by Jyotsana rao (see all)
- 13 Quotes About Reading That Will Melt Any Book Lover - April 28, 2016
- 5 Videos Featuring Ways To Care For Oily Skin At Home - April 28, 2016
- 5 Amazing Videos on How To Make Detox Water - April 27, 2016
- Why You Need To Stop Everything And Clean Your Earplugs Right Now - April 27, 2016