Rosehip is a fruit of the rose plant, which consists of several dry fruitlets enclosed by a enlarged, fleshy, usually red floral cup. The plant grows up to ten feet tall and bears fragrant flowers. Rose plants are native to Asia, North Africa and Europe.
What Is Rosehip?
Rosehips are the round portion of the rose flowers just below the petals. Rosehips, valued for their medicinal use, come from in rose varieties, Rose gallica and Rose canina. Rose hips are about the same size and shape as that of cherries but have tender flesh. The hairy seed of rose hips must be discarded before eating as that can lead to severe itching.
Dried rose hips and seeds are used to make medicine. The medicinal properties can be obtained by using them to make teas, syrups and jellies. They are also used to make oils that help to improve complexion.
Rosehips Nutritional Value:
Rose hips have a high content of vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and iron. In addition, Rose hips are rich sources of bio flavonoids, pectin, vitamin E, selenium, manganese, and B complex vitamins. It also contains moderate amounts of magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur and silicon.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Nectarines ]
Rosehip Nutrition Facts USDA:
1 Value per 100.0g
1.0 cup 127g
|Total lipid (fat)||g||0.34||0.43|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||g||38.22||48.54|
|Fiber, total dietary||g||24.1||30.6|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||mg||426.0||541.0|
|Vitamin A, RAE||µg||217||276|
|Vitamin A, IU||IU||4345||5518|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||mg||5.84||7.42|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone)||µg||25.9||32.9|
Rosehip Benefits for Health:
Rose hip is touted as a natural remedy for a variety of health problems. This dark red fruit is certainly not a stranger in the world of alternate medicine and could easily be described as a nutritional superstar with its high iron and vitamin content. Check out here the best benefits of rosehip for health:
1. Rose hip has been widely acclaimed to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Regular consumption helps to increase mobility by 20 to 25%. It decreases pain and improves the overall mood of the patients. People treated with rose hip experienced a significant reduction in pain, stiffness and joint inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties of rose hips are useful in the treatment of patients suffering from knee or hip arthritis.
2. Vitamin C in rose hips has been proven to lessen respiratory issues and prevent asthma. Rose hips rich diet also reduces wheezing symptoms in children and aids in treating asthma, chronic cough, shortness of breath and even runny nose. The presence of several vitamins and minerals in rosehip also helps to boost immunity and lessens the duration of cold.
3. Antioxidants present in rose hip also help to reduce cholesterol level in a person. Millions of people suffer from cholesterol problems which can lead to dangerous consequences. Doctors always recommend dietary changes for people who want to reduce cholesterol. It is advisable to drink rose hip tea if you suffer from cholesterol problems. It is particularly helpful for those people who abstain from taking medication. Rosehip helps to prevent heart diseases in obese people that elevates systolic blood pressure.
4. Rose hips contain a variety of antioxidants like carotenoids, flavonoids, and polyphenols and so on. These antioxidants help to prevent cancer and other cardiovascular diseases. Rose hip is a powerful and effective antioxidant that protects our body from free radicals that cause oxidative stress, or ”cellular rust” that can lead to a host of severe medical conditions.
6. Diabetic patients can also benefit from Rose hip as it helps to regulate sugar levels to reduce the risk of getting diabetes and improves the symptoms of existing cases. Supplementing rose hip powders forces glucose in the body cells where it protects against many complications of diabetes.
7. The fruit acids and pectin present in rose hip has diuretic and laxative properties. It is used to improve and relieve the symptoms of kidney disorders and helps to cure constipation.
8. The astringent qualities of Rosehip oil make it a valuable addition in the cosmetic industry. It has the ability to regenerate skin cells. This can be used to treat scars, acne and burns. It does not dry out the skin and keeps the skin hydrated and well moisturised. Drinking rose hip tea also benefits the skin. It has a high vitamin A content which is considered beneficial for the skin. It keeps the skin elastic and prevents wrinkles and minimises the flaws of the skin.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Rambutan ]
8. Vitamin C in Rosehip is responsible for collagen production in the body which is an important element in the structure of bones and body.
9. Iron in rosehips produces red blood cells which oxygenates the body that is lost during menstruation. Vitamin C makes iron absorption easy making it a helpful ally for the overall health.
10. Rose hip is used to treat stomach disorders which includes stomach spasm, stomach acid deficiency, prevents stomach irritation and ulcers. It is best used as a stomach tonic for intestinal diseases. Rosehip is also used to treat stomach disorders like diarrhoea, constipation, gallstones, gall bladder ailments, gout and urinary tract infections.
11. Rose hip is also beneficial for the immune system. It helps to prevent infections from both bacterial and viral infections. It wards off infections which can lead to viral fever, by increasing immune function during exhaustion, increasing blood flow in the limbs, increasing urine flow and quenching thirst.
A word of caution:
- Do not boil rosehips in water as it destroys Vitamin C content.
- Do not simmer rosehips in aluminium pans as it discolours the tea and destroys vitamin content.
- Do not store rose hips in metal boxes or containers as even this can discolour the tea.
Consult a physician or a nutritionist before consuming rosehip tea, in case you are taking prescribed medicine.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Raspberries ]
- 7 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Garlic – Why You Should Never Run Away From It
- 8 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Soybean Oil
- Amazing Benefits Tea Tree Oil For Skin, Hair and Health
- Benefits Of Coconut For Hair
- 10 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Lemon Peels
Latest posts by Arshi Ahmed (see all)
- 10 Best Neem Soap Brands You Can Try - September 29, 2014
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar - September 27, 2014
- 50 Amazing Workout Hairstyles You Can Try - May 15, 2014
- 21 Effective Home Remedies For Red Eyes - April 12, 2014
- How To Improve Blood Circulation in The Body – 18 Effective Home Remedies - April 12, 2014