Surninam cherry, famously known as Brazilian cherry or Pitanga is a species of the myrtle family. The surinam cherry plant is classified as a shrub, is used for landscaping in the areas of the United States. This highly flavoured fruit tastes very similar to a mango, if you are wondering what its taste would be like.
Its leaves possess useful oils such as turpentine that contains poly-terpenes and sequi-terpenes. These are known to repel insects for which purpose, they are widely used. But the fruit also has a lot of nutritional value associated with it because of which it is consumed in the native regions of Amazon. It is also known well to the people of French Guyana, Uruguay and Guyana.
[ Read: Amazing Health Benefits Of Sweet Oranges ]
Health Benefits Of Surinam Cherry Fruit:
1. Research reveals that it has anti-stringent and antiseptic properties.
2. It clears diarrhoea symptoms and also helps in gastro-intestinal treatments.
3. It is useful in treating common cold.
4. The main ingredients in Surinam are antioxidants which are high in vitamin content. These antioxidants help in preventing non-required free radical productions. These free radicals if produced, will lead to reactions that may cause inflammation and other diseases. Antioxidants are required by the body for curbing the excess oxidation that may turn unhealthy. As per research conducted by the University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, it has been proven that ingredients present in Surinam indeed reduce inflammation.
5. Surinam also helps in improving the pulmonary functions and is recommended for proper functioning of lungs.
Surinam’s Nutritional value:
We have seen how the content of cineole in Surinam cherry is beneficial. According to USDA reports, it also contains:
- 0.84 to 1 gram of proteins,
- 0.4 to 0.88 grams of fat
- 7.93 to 12.5 grams of carbohydrates in about 100 grams of cherries
- 26.2 mg of Vitamin C
- 9 grams of Calcium
- 11 mg phosphorous
- 0.2 mg of iron
- 0.03 mg thiamine
- 0.04 mg riboflavin
- 0.03 mg of niacin
The Vitamin A content depends on the ripe nature of the fruit. The reports suggest that the cherries contain 93 grams of water which is also beneficial for hydration of the body. The fruit also contains B complex vitamins needed for energy provision to the body.
USDA reports provides the nutrient percentages to be as following in 173 grams/ a cup of Surinam cherries as
- Fat 10%
- Carbohydrates 82%
- Proteins 8%.
How to serve and eat
If it is your little one, then just clean it and let him/her bite right in but if you plan to bring it to the table, then here is what you can do.
- Slit the vegetable vertically
- Remove the seeds
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Refridgerate for 3 to 4 hours to remove the resinous aroma to it
To use this fruit as an effective medium for Vitamins and general well-being, you should definitely consume a cup of Surinams daily.
[ Read: Amazing Health Benefits Of Raspberries ]
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)