Brushing teeth every day, proper flossing, oral hygiene, regular dental checkups are important to maintain good oral health. Neglecting any of these can really create a havoc on teeth and gums. Improper brushing can lead to plaque formation that when ignored forms tartar, a solidified plaque. This would finally lead to several teeth and gum diseases. Therefore, it is important to know how to remove tartar from teeth so as to prevent the other threatening oral diseases.
How To Remove Tartar from Teeth & Plaque Using Home Remedies?
Tartar cannot be easily removed and often requires professional help. Dentists may need to remove tartar using various instruments by scaling. The process may require plenty of patience and is also painful, if the tartar has been accumulated over the years and has affected the gum line. The best prevention is through proper oral care, brushing vigilantly and flossing regularly. Some home remedies for tartar removal and preventing it from growing further are as follows:
1. Brush Your Teeth Properly
Brushing your teeth properly after each meal prevents the formation of tartar. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush for brushing and brush at all angles, over all the tooth surfaces so that the teeth are thoroughly cleaned. Always remember to hold the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gum line.
2. Use Fluoridated Toothpaste:
Fluoride toothpastes help to increase the concentration of fluoride in the teeth, which strengthens the teeth and prevents dental cavities. Fluoride makes the tooth enamel stronger so they are less likely to suffer from intake of acidic foods and drinks. Using fluoridated toothpaste helps to re-mineralize areas affected by decay and protects from bacteria responsible for tartar formation.
3. Use Tartar-Control Toothpaste:
Using tartar-control toothpaste is extremely beneficial for removal of plaque and tartar. There are a number of chemical ingredients, such as pyrophosphates, zinc citrate, fluoride and others. These ingredients prevent from building up of tartar on the teeth. Some tartar-control toothpastes are also found to contain an antibiotic called triclosan, which is responsible for killing certain oral bacteria.
4. Brush With Baking Soda Mixture
Combine a tablespoon of baking soda with a pinch of salt. Slightly wet the toothbrush and dip into the baking soda mixture. Scrub your teeth with the mixture and rinse off. This helps tartar removal and whitening of teeth.
5. Use Aloe Vera Gel And Glycerine Scrub
In a cup of water, add half a cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, 10 drops of lemon essential oil and 4 teaspoons of vegetable glycerine. Mix thoroughly to combine and store the liquid in a suitable container. Scrub your teeth daily with this mixture for tartar removal.
6. Use Orange Peel To Remove Tartar:
Another home remedy for tartar removal is rubbing orange peels directly onto the teeth. Leave it overnight without rinsing. Orange peels can also be made into a paste and applied on the teeth. It helps to fight tartar forming microorganisms in the mouth and is a cheap natural way to whiten the tartar stained teeth.
7. Munch Fruits And Vegetables:
It is a great idea to munch an apple, musk melon, carrot or celery sticks. Chewing these fruits or vegetables one hour after meals is recommended for cleaning your teeth naturally. This not only removes any food particles, plaque or tartar on your teeth, but also strengthens gums.
8. Chew Sesame Seeds:
Another simple home remedy to remove tartar from teeth is sesame seeds. Slowly chew a handful of sesame seeds, but do not swallow them. Brush your teeth with a dry toothbrush with the chewed sesame seeds still in your mouth. These seeds act as a natural scrub. They clean, polish the teeth and help to remove tartar.
9. Eat Figs:
Eating figs is another way of cleaning the teeth and strengthening the gums. Eat 3 to 4 figs at a time and chew them slowly together. The process stimulates the salivary glands and increases the secretion of saliva. This helps to cleanse the teeth by removing plaque and tartar.
10. Use Electric Toothbrush:
Use electric toothbrush for brushing your teeth as they are definitely better to use than the manual ones. They help to remove the tartar and keep your teeth neat and bright. This type of toothbrushes is also recommended by dentists as the best means of keeping the teeth clean and free from plaque and tartar.
11. Floss Regularly:
Flossing is an excellent way to remove the plaque and food particles between the teeth. Flossing of teeth on a regular basis after gargling prevents formation of tartar and maintains a good oral hygiene. Floss not only cleans between the teeth, but also between the gums, therefore keeping the cavities and gum diseases away.
12. Gargle With An Antiseptic Oral Cleanser Or Peroxide Solution
13. Use A Dental Pick:
You can use a dental pick available in stores to remove hardened tartar from your teeth. With the help of a lighted magnifying mirror, see the tartar accumulated in your teeth. Gently scrape out the tartar, spit and rinse your mouth during the cleaning process. However, this may be done with gentle care as picking deep into the gums may cause an infection.
14. Use Vitamin C Rich Fruits:
Apply the paste of Vitamin C rich fruits, such as tomatoes or strawberries to your teeth. Leave for 5 minutes. Rinse off the mouth with a mixture of warm water and baking soda. This helps to remove tartar and kills bacteria in the mouth. It is better if you regularly consume vitamin C rich fruits in your diet. It takes care of your oral health.
15. Eat Spicy Food:
Eating spicy food can be another home remedy for removal of tartar which is easy to try. Spicy foods, such as salsa increase the secretion of saliva by stimulating the salivary glands. This excess saliva generated in the mouth helps in cleaning the teeth and gums.
Why Is Tartar Considered Harmful?
Tartar is harmful as it is hard and porous. This porosity causes to build up several harmful bacteria inside the tartar. It therefore causes gum diseases, cavities in the teeth and also loss of teeth. If tartar is not removed, it keeps on accumulating and calcifying. If plaque is not cleared from the teeth, it hardens into tartar, which causes damage to the enamel and increases the risk of gum disease. Tartar damages the teeth and gums, which can lead to severe diseases like gingivitis, impacts bone health by causing bone degeneration or even heart disease in severe cases.
Tips For Preventing Tartar on Teeth:
Once tartar is formed, it is difficult to remove and prevent further build-up. If tartar is not removed at a proper time, it may cause tooth decay and loss as well. Tartar can be easily prevented by following these simple tips:
- Schedule periodic appointments with dentist for checkup and cleaning of teeth.
- Use tartar control toothpaste for prevention of tartar and avoiding further accumulation of tartar, if any.
- Maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing twice daily and flossing regularly.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush for safeguarding the enamel and easy removal of plaque on the teeth.
- Consume plenty of Vitamin C rich fruits, which improves your overall health as well as dental health. It helps to remove plaque at early stages and prevents formation of tartar.
- Avoid smoking, as tobacco is responsible to accumulate tartar under the gum line.
- Avoid eating starchy and sugary foods as these promote bacteria in your mouth. It is better to stop junking on snacks through the day.
- Drink sufficient amount of water after each meal to wash out any food particles in the mouth.
- Eat melon or apples after a meal as they help to clean teeth naturally by removing plaque and improve gum health.
Have you been affected by tartar any time? What did you do for the removal of tartar? Do not forget to share your experiences on how did you make it, either all by yourself or through a professional help.
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Gum Diseases
- 25 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Dry Mouth
- 27 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Gum Diseases
- 25 Effective Home Remedies To Get Relief From Wisdom Tooth Pain
Latest posts by Rashmi Vilas (see all)
- 25 Best Foods To Increase Your Stamina - January 23, 2015
- What Is Cosmic Energy Meditation And What Are Its Benefits? - January 19, 2015
- 10 Wonderful Relaxation Techniques For Sound Sleep - September 30, 2014
- 15 Amazing Home Remedies To Remove Tartar & Plaque From Teeth - September 27, 2014
- 10 Effective Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth - September 26, 2014