There are times when we fall short of words to express the sympathy we hold in our hearts.
“Words are a powerful medium to bring back a person from the shadows of pain and sorrow. Words have a healing ability, though cannot substitute the loss but they do provide comfort. Finding proper words to express your condolence and grief is perhaps the most difficult task.”
This article is a compilation of quotes on sympathy which will help you to reflect your feelings and express your thoughts.
1. “That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not; rather find strength in what remains behind.” – William Wordsworth
And as the mind is pitch’d the ear is pleased
With melting airs, or martial, brisk or grave;
Some chord in unison with what we hear
Is touch’d within us, and the heart replies.”
― William Cowper
7. “Up to the present man has hardly cultivated sympathy at all. He has merely sympathy with pain, and sympathy with pain is not the highest form of sympathy. All sympathy is fine, but sympathy with suffering is the least fine mode. It is tainted with egotism. It is apt to become morbid. There is in it a certain element of terror for our own safety. We become afraid that we ourselves might be as the leper or as the blind, and that no man would have care of us. It is curiously limiting, too. One should sympathize with the entirety of life, not with life’s sores and maladies merely, but with life’s joy and beauty and energy and health and freedom.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Soul of Man under Socialism
They walk beside us every day,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear.
“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
love leaves a memory no one can steal.”
–From a headstone in Ireland
others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.”
— John Taylor
May fond recollection bring you relief,
And may you find comfort and peace in the thought
Of the joy that knowing your loved one brought…
For time and space can never divide
Or keep your loved one from your side.
When memory paints in colours true,
the happy hours that belonged to you.”
— Helen Steiner Rice
Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.”
— Mahatma Gandhi
15. “They mustn’t know my despair, I can’t let them see the wounds which they have caused, I couldn’t bear their sympathy and their kind-hearted jokes, it would only make me want to scream all the more. If I talk, everyone thinks I’m showing off; when I’m” – Anne Frank
17. “When he shall die Take him and cut him out in little stars And he will make the face of heaven so fine That all the world will be in love with night And pay no worship to the garish sun. “ -William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
And death is only a horizon;
And a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.”
– Rossiter Worthington Raymond
23. “It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies are laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; ’tis rather an embryo state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals? “ – Benjamin Franklin, 22 February 1756
24. “The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. “ – Quoted in The Angels’ Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994
27. “There is something terribly morbid in the modern sympathy with pain. One should sympathize with the colour, the beauty, the joy of life. The less said about life’s sores the better.” -Oscar Wilde
Forever thoughtful of our special needs,
Today and tomorrow, my whole life through,
I will always love and cherish you
With what a deep devotedness of woe
I wept thy absence – o’er and o’er again
Thinking of thee, still thee, till thought grew pain,
And memory, like a drop that, night and day,
Falls cold and ceaseless, wore my heart away! “
Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.
Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.
Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.”- Pueblo Blessing
Like spring, summer,
Fall and winter,
will also pass.”- Molly Fumia
This is the path that has existed from the time of creation and will exist forever.
Many have drunk from it and many will yet drink.
As was the first meal, so shall be the last.
May the master comfort you.
Blessed are those who comfort the mourners.”- Jewish Blessing of the Mourners
Latest posts by Arshi Ahmed (see all)
- 20 Radical Styling Ideas For Your Red Ombre Hair - October 27, 2017
- 10 Best Neem Soap Brands You Can Try - September 29, 2014
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar - September 27, 2014
- 50 Amazing Workout Hairstyles You Can Try - May 15, 2014
- 21 Effective Home Remedies For Red Eyes - April 12, 2014