Healthy hair enhances our beauty and makes us feel confident. We take the utmost care of our hair but there are some very common mistakes most of us make unknowingly. That harms our hair follicles thus resulting in hair damage.
[ Read: Biggest Beauty Mistakes We Make ]
Hair Care Mistakes To Avoid:
1. Brushing Hair from Roots to Ends:
Brushing or combing hair spreads the natural oils from roots to the ends. But brushing hair from the roots can damage and break hair at the middle or end especially when the hair is thin or wet as it easily tangles. Never forget that your hair is at its weakest when it is wet. So start at the end and gently brush hair gradually approaching the roots. Also make sure you use a brush that can gently handle your hair type and length. They are different brushes available in the market for different purposes. Pick one as per your need. Another tip would be make sure that your brush has soft bristles made of natural fibers.
2. Overloading Hair with Products:
Too many products can weigh hair down which looks unflattering. This is of course including the fact the we are aware off, too much of chemicals is bad for your hair! Stick with a quality shampoo, conditioner and a styling product. Ensure that the product you use suits your hair and scalp too!
3. Rubbing Hair with Towel:
The right way of drying hair with a towel is blotting it rather than rubbing. Rubbing weakens the hair making it more vulnerable to damage. Using blow dry on wet hair often can also weaken the hair. So before blowing it, dry blot with towel and let it air dry till it’s damp. Go easy on blow dry to let hair recover.
4. High Temperature Treatments:
High temperature treatments like blow dry and hair straightening can damage hair easily. Heat strips the hair of the natural oils that are produced in the scalp. These natural oils form a protective layer on the shaft of the hair and protect it from daily damage. The lack of these natural oils leaves the hair shaft more vulnerable to damage. Make sure to use special products that contain oils to protect hair from high temperatures. Also be sure the temperature suits your hair type. If you have to use heat, then pick a product that allows you to adjust the temperature settings.
5. Poor Diet:
What we need to ensure is that we don’t just use the right products on the outside. Hair is better nourished by the nutrients that we feed our body. Poor diet can weaken hair considerably. So make sure vitamin C, protein, folic acid, biotin, iron, and zinc are present in your diet. All of the above nutrients and proteins mainly keratin together work towards the growth of hair. Hence, ensuring that they are available in the optimal amounts is the right way to go!
Other Big Don’ts of Hair Care:
- Don’t use the wrong products. Your hair type should determine what shampoo you use. Oily hair needs a balancing shampoo; dry hair needs a moisturizing one.
- Don’t be difficult, get a haircut that requires minimum care, less styling is less damage.
- Don’t let things build up. Use a clarifying shampoo every few days to remove product build up and dirt.
- Don’t expose your hair to harmful elements like the sun at noon or chlorine. That’s asking for damage due to the harmful rays of the sun and chemicals in the pool.
- Don’t go in the pool with dry hair, if your hair is wet before you get into a pool, it is less likely the chlorine will get in and damage it.
- Don’t tie it tight, your hair will get stretched and break if tied too tight. Especially when wet.
- Don’t forgo your hair cut. Keep trimming hair every 4-6 weeks or at least every 3 months to keep the ends split free.
Keep in mind to avoid these hair care mistakes and healthy hair will be a reality for you!
- How To Blow Dry Hair: A Step By Step Tutorial
- Top 10 Most Common Makeup Mistakes You Usually Commit
- Home Remedies For Oily And Greasy Hair
- 6 Winter Hair Care Tips You Should Definitely Follow
Latest posts by StyleCraze (see all)
- Hooking Up With My Bestie’s Boyfriend Was The Worst Decision Of My Life - April 21, 2017
- L-Tyrosine: Benefits, Side Effects, And Dosages Guide - May 16, 2016
- Phenylalanine Uses, Side Effects, And Possible Side Effects - April 28, 2016
- Do GABA Supplements Work or Not? - April 28, 2016
- The Best Natural Adderall Alternatives To Buy OTC - April 25, 2016