Ayurveda has been associated with spirituality since several years. Due to this, it is often assumed that people who take Ayurvedic medicines must follow a vegetarian diet. But the reality is otherwise. Though most Ayurvedic medicines are purely herbal in nature, a few of them contain non-vegetarian ingredients too.
Let us first understand the concept behind the vegetarian diet and which category Ayurveda falls under.
During the ancient period, especially in India, the concept of vegetarianism was non-existent. In fact, the properties and benefits of non-vegetarian food have also been mentioned in the Vedas and Puranas. The vegetarian system was adopted by Hindus only after the spread of Buddhism across India.
When we talk about food items, we can classify them as non-vegetarian with the help of a label containing a red mark. However, the same rule doesn’t apply to medicines (both allopathic and Ayurvedic medicines).
If we deeply study Ayurveda, we will realize that it is not entirely vegetarian. Several classic texts stated that Mamsarasa i.e. meat soup is useful in reducing tiredness that is caused due to an imbalance in the pitta dosha. Mamsarasa is also helpful for those who practice intense workouts daily. It helps in improving the immunity, voice strength, and skin quality.
Mentioned below are a few Ayurvedic medicines that contain non-vegetarian ingredients:
1. Aswagandhadi Lehyam – This herbal medicine with ashwagandha as the main ingredient contains goat meat.
2. Sri Gopal Taila – It contains musk deer as an ingredient.
3. Amrita prasha Ghrita – It is a preparation that is made out of ghee and contains goat meat.
4. Ajamamsa Rasayanam – It contains goat meat.
5. Vayu Gulika – One of its ingredients is a part of musk deer.
6. Gorochana pills, Gorochanadi Vati, Gorochanadi Gulika, Mathala Rasayanam – They contain cow bile as an ingredient.
7. Kasturyadi Gutika – It contains a part of musk deer as an ingredient.
8. Kamadudha rasa – It contains conch shell.
9. Shankh Vati – It contains conch shell as an ingredient.
10. Kapardika Bhasma /Kaparda Bhasma – It is prepared from cowries.
11. Mukta Bhasma and Muktapishti – They contain pearl.
12. Maha Sneha – It contains fat and meat of the animal.
13. Mrigamadasava, Mrigamada Rasayana, Kasturi Bhairava Rasa, Brihat Kasthuri Bhairava Rasa – Contain musk deer as an ingredient.
14. Pravala Panchamruta Rasa – It contains animal shell of sea origin.
15. Kukkutandatvak Bhasma – It is made from egg shell, which is also considered as a good source of calcium.
16. Chagalyadi Ghrita, Brihat Chyagalyadi Ghrita – These both are ghee preparations that contain goat meat.
17. Chukkumthippalyadi Gulika – It contains deer horn bhasma and Caveat cat semen as an ingredient. But many pharmaceutical companies prefer to skip the second ingredient.
18. Navaratna Raja Mriganka Rasa – It contains navaratna i.e. 9 gems, out of which most are derived from sea animals.
19. Mahamasha Thailam (Samisha) – It contains goat meat as an ingredient.
20. Shringa Bhasma, Manasamitra Vatakam – It is prepared from deer horn.
21. Dhanwantaram Gulika (Kasturi) – Contains musk deer as an ingredient.
22. Reosto tablet of Himalaya herbal healthcare and osteolief also contain egg shell.
A few other Ayurvedic medicines that contain non vegetarian ingredients are Mahasneham, Dehaposhana Yamakam, Mahakukkutamamsa Tailam, and Maharajaprasarini Tailam.
It is nowhere mentioned that Ayurveda needs you to follow a vegetarian diet. In fact, non-vegetarian food has its own significance in Ayurveda. The only reason people avoid eating non-vegetarian food is because it is claimed to increase tamas in the body. However, it depends on your body type. If your body is accustomed to it, you can have it.
It is always better to consult your doctor about the ingredients of the medicines and whether they contain any non-vegetarian ingredient(s) or not.
We hope this information is useful for you. In case of any doubts or queries, post your questions in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- Milk Wax – Never Heard Of This Before, But My Sister Is Using It Since Last Year And Now, Her Skin Is Just Like Milk - March 28, 2017
- She Begins Rubbing Turmeric Onto Her Cheeks. When She Rubs It Off, The Results Are Unbelievable! - March 21, 2017
- 10 Signs That Indicate That Your Partner No Longer Loves You - March 21, 2017
- Do You Wake Up Every Night At The Same Time? This Is What It Means - March 20, 2017
- Put Salt In Your Shampoo Before Showering. This Simple Trick Solves One Of The Biggest Hair Problems - March 17, 2017