Have you ever hesitated to open up and speak in public? Yes, bad breath can really play spoil sport! Bad breath can be a confidence buster for many, leaving them both embarrassed and a little helpless. A stinky breath is not just a precursor to social awkwardness, but can be a possible indication to digestive system issues. Bad breath, or halitosis, can be caused due to internal reasons, such as stomach problems or infections of the tonsils, or external causes such as smelly foods (example: onions or garlic) or even habitual smoking.
How is bad breath caused?
The foul smell keeping you away from people is emitted by a collection of anaerobic bacteria that call the tongue and the insides of the cheeks their home. These bacteria release sulphur, which is the cause of bad breath. So how do you combat bad breath? Long term solutions are to brush twice a day, keep yourself well hydrated or take medications for various infections. But what if you need a quick fix?
A remedy that never fails!
The one stop, efficient answer to bad breath is baking soda. Baking soda is a special composition indeed. It is alkaline and neutralises the high acidic levels in your mouth that is the cause for bad breath. Since it is not acidic, it causes no harm to the teeth, gums or bones. It kills the bacteria in the mouth that thrive in an environment rich in acidity and sucrose. Given below are the various combinations in which baking soda can be used to lessen bad breath.
Baking Soda for Bad Breath – Best Ways to Use
1. Baking Soda and Toothpaste:
This one is a no brainer! One of the simplest things to do is to simply add a pinch of baking soda to your toothpaste and brush with this mixture twice a day. It should solve your bad breath problem quickly and effectively.
2. Baking Soda and Salt:
Baking soda can also be used for gargling purposes. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of baking soda to tepid water. Use this as a mouth rinse and remember, do not swallow! Or, you can make a mixture of salt and baking soda, sans water, and rub the insides of your mouth with it.
3. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar:
Another solution is to mix 1 tsp of baking soda to some apple cider vinegar. Rinse with this and again, do not swallow. It is not poisonous, but it is also not useful if swallowed. For best results rinse, spit, and repeat.
4. Baking Soda and Honey:
For consumption purposes, mix baking soda (1 tsp) with honey (1 tsp) and warm water. Drink this at least once a day for a few days till you feel you are ready to face the world again. Also, remember to keep your diet healthy with the consumption of fresh, green vegetables, pulses and grains. Avoid meats, bread and any kinds of dairy products until the problem of bad breath has receded.
[ Read: Yoga Exercises To Fight Bad Breath ]
5. Plain Water and Baking Soda:
Simply drop a whole teaspoon of the powder into water, preferably warm. Allow the powder to fully dissolve and use this in place of a mouthwash. Gargle with the liquid for a good 30 seconds to 1 minute for best results.
6. Just Buy a Baking Soda Toothpaste:
If time is a constraint or you are not someone who is patient with remedies, simply switch to a toothpaste rich in baking soda. Easily available at most grocers, a paste rich in baking soda will inhibit the growth of bacteria in your oral cavity and thus keep bad breath at bay.
Few Points to Remember:
- Remember that baking soda will not harm your body in any way if consumed in small doses. However, anything in excess can be damaging.
- Other ways to cure bad breath include regular flossing and tongue scraping, chewing on some cinnamon and then spitting it out, and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide.
- If bad breath does not recede or becomes offensive, then the problem could be more serious and you may need to consult a doctor as this bad breath could be an indicator to a bigger problem in the digestive system.
Baking soda is one ingredient that is always stocked in every household. It helps not just in removing stains, but also in boosting your confidence. Try these many combinations of baking powder for bad breath, for that million dollar smile!
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015