The daffodil is one of the most well-known, colorful and popular flowers in the world. It is an attractive, trumpet-shaped perennial flower that blooms from the bulbs every spring. They have a cheerful and gorgeous appearance and a bright sunny color. In the language of flowers, daffodils symbolize spring, rebirth, new beginnings and friendship.
Daffodils belong to the Amaryllidaceae family from the genus, Narcissus. There are more than 50 species in its variety and more than 1300 hybrid varieties. Daffodils flowers are native to the Mediterranean region and are cultivated all across the world. They grow naturally in woods, grasslands and rocky grounds. Daffodils are divided into 13 categories. The popular ones include Golden Harvest and Rijnveld’s Early Sensation; Recurvus etc.
Daffodils come in a wide range of colors like yellow, pink, apricot, orange, lime green, cream and white. Daffodils are very easy to grow and are quite hardy. But care should be taken as daffodils secrete a sap that can harm other flowers if not properly conditioned. There are more than hundreds of varieties to choose from and these are the top 25 daffodils of my choice.
Top 25 Beautiful Daffodil Flowers
Jetfire is one of the most beautiful daffodils, well known for its bold color combination. The flower has clear golden petals surrounded by a contrasting orange trumpet. The flower blooms in early spring in full or partial shade and well-drained soil. The flower would make an amazing cut flower and would look amazing when planted in groups in the gardens.
2. Sentinel daffodils:
Sentinel daffodil flower is a fabulous pink daffodil. The flower has beautiful ruffled petals, with contrasting strong stems. It has a very large cup and a clear white perianth. The blooms open on stems 14 to 16 inches high. The flowers starts out apricot and changes to a lovely pink. The flower thrives in full sun and well-drained soil. It blooms every year in mid to late season. The flower will look good, both planted in gardens and in containers.
3. Thalia daffodils:
Thalia is a cheery, bright white daffodil and has a lovely scent. This small bell shaped flower has slightly reflexed petals and blooms every year from March to May. This medium- headed trumpet has a light, feathery quality with narrow petals and a delicate cup. Thalia will create a gorgeous display in your garden. The flower blooms best in moist soil and is a very easy to grow plant. These pure white flowers are incredibly beautiful.
4. Quail Daffodils:
This bold bloomer has clusters of bright yellow flowers on its stem. Its scientific name is Narcissus ‘Quail’. The flower is quite long-lasting and is highly fragrant. It has a very delicate appearance and the stem bears 2 to 3 golden flowers on stems, 40 cm high. The flower is 4 inches in size with neat petals and dark green leaves. The Royal Horticultural Society has even awarded this beautiful flower with the Award of Garden Merit (AGM). It is a good choice for containers, rock gardens and dainty spring bouquets.
[ Read: World Most Beautiful Flowers ]
5. Sorbet daffodil:
Sorbet daffodils are yellow split cup daffodils with bright yellow orange centers that give the flower a very fancy look. It offers white petals with contrasting cream, yellow and orange cups. The flowers are large and substantial on sturdy stems. The color combination is amazing and the split cup adds to its beauty. The flower is exceptionally fragrant and adapts well to most conditions.
6. Barrett Browning:Barrett Browning has been around for 50 years and is named after Elizabeth Barrett Browning, wife of famous poet, Robert Browning. It is a clump forming, bulbous perennial flower with star-shaped leaves. The flower has pure white petals with orange-red cups. The color is very bright and has a striking color combination. The flower is long-lasting and is rodent proof. It blooms in fall winter till mid-spring.
7. Jack Snipe:This miniature trumpet daffodil has petals that open up and curl backwards which makes the flower look like it has grown in a wind tunnel. The flower has white petals with a yellow center. It forms wonderful clumps and performs best in full sun and well-drained soil. Its white petals are swept back and stick straight out at a 90 degree angle from the stem. The flower has a pleasant fragrant and is good for cut flowers.
[ Read: White flowers ]
8. Sovereign Daffodils:
This regal named daffodil is a large flower with white petals and a bold orange split cup. Split cup daffodils have a central cup that is cut usually for more than half its length. They are even called butterfly daffodils as the cup folds back against the petals, giving it an appearance of butterfly. The plant bears one flower per stem. Sovereign daffodils are one of the showiest daffodils. It looks best in the spring season. The flower grows best in semi-shade and prefers medium levels of water.
9. Tahiti daffodils:
Tahiti Daffodils are rounded, double orange and yellow flowers which has won many prestigious awards in Europe. They add a spectacular color and form to the flower exhibition. This alluring flower has deep yellow petals surrounding an orange ruffled cup. This magnificent flower blooms in late spring and has a great staying power. You can even grow this flower in containers on a window sill, indoors. It is particularly great for cutting.
10. Canaliculatus:Canaliculatus flowers bloom every year in March and April in well-drained soil and partial sunlight. This variety of daffodils produces several flowers on each stem which makes it look very beautiful. The flower has white petals and a small yellow cup. Its fine fragrance and small size make it an amazing addition to your garden.
[ Read: Most Beautiful Pink Roses ]
11. Petit Four daffodil:
This is an award-winning daffodil which offers white petals and a double apricot pink trumpet. It is a double cup of rosy peach highlighted by cream colored petals with strap-shaped leaves. The flower has a great fragrance and would look amazing as cut flowers. The flower is long-lasting and is one of the world’s finest pink daffodils. It is easily grown in slightly acidic and sandy loamy soil. This flower can even revert to single form over time.
12. Hawera daffodil:
Hawera is a petite daffodil which grows only up to 18 cm. It has a strong, musky smell and is quite long-lasting. It is a pale yellow flower that emerges from grassy stems and leaves and its petals curl back to give it a shuttlecock kind of look. Each bulb produces several stems and is topped with around 2 nodding flowers. The flower symbolizes new beginnings and ensures happiness and well-being. It is also considered as a 10th anniversary flower. The flower thrives in partial shade or full sun and grows beautifully in pots and containers.
[ Read: Most Joyful Yellow Flowers ]
13. Cheerfulness daffodils:
Cheerfulness is a double narcissus that looks great in small drifts in a mixed or shrub border. They grow in fertile, well-drained soil in winter and spring. The plant bears several flowers per stem. It has a sweet fragrance. The blooms of cheerfulness have creamy white petals with white centers, brushed with slight yellow.
14. Merlin daffodil:
Merlin daffodil has creamy white petals with a yellow cup, tinged with orange red. The flowers last a very long time and have a very appealing color combination. It has star-shaped leaves and bright green foliage.
15. White Lion daffodils:
This one is another creamy, full white bloom of impressive size and has soft yellow petals which contain a few whites sticking out here and there. The flower has a strong and wonderful fragrance. The amazing double daffodil adds a touch of luxury to spring borders. You can grow this flower both outdoors and in containers. This is an official flower for March and December and 10th wedding anniversaries.
16. February Gold daffodils:February Gold daffodils are eager-looking little flowers which have swept back golden petals. The flower grows up to 30 cm and blooms during March and April. This golden yellow flower has long, slender trumpets and is one of the most desirable trumpets. This is the official flower for March and December and for 11th wedding anniversaries. Even though it is an old variety of daffodil, it is still very popular. This cheery flower should be planted in big clumps for maximum impact.
Minnow is a cluster of cup and saucer flowers on top of a pencil length stem. This daffodils flower has a very sweet fragrance and clumps up rapidly. Minnow prefers full sun and moist soil. The flower fades from yellow to cream as it ages. This petite flower will add charm to your garden.
18. Narcissus ‘Rijnveld’s Early Sensation:
This one is a classic yellow trumpet and is one of the early growing daffodils. The flower can very well tolerate cold and snowy weather and has a long blooming period. This is a two-toned yellow daffodil and is sure to capture the attention of the onlookers.
Spellbinder is a long flowering, traditional yellow trumpet which gradually fades to white with time. The large trumpet opens greenish yellow against a backdrop of lemony yellow petals. The flower blooms every year in March and April and is a terrific naturalizer. It is excellent as cut flowers. This flower is easily grown in medium moisture, organically rich loam and in partial or full sun.
20. Dutch Master:This magnificent yellow trumpet is believed to be the successor to the venerable “King Alfred”. This bold bloom has petals drawn slightly forward. It is yellow in color with a single trumpet and has serrated edges and a sturdy green stem. This is a perennial growing flower which grows every year in April. This flower has been given the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the RHS. Dutch Master loves the sun and partial shade and will do well in beds and containers. It is a true classic flower and is well-known for its simplicity.
[ Read: Flowers ]
This daffodil has been named Manly because of its masculine moniker with a thick, sturdy stem and is extremely robust. The flower is five inches wide and comes in a warm yellow color. The flowers are huge, around 5 inches wide and are borne on 12 to 14 inches stems. It is a double daffodil and has velvety petals which are so thickly layered that they appear as a triple daffodil. The flower opens to a creamy yellow with an orange center and then turns soft white and yellow over time. The flower is richly fragrant and blooms late in the season.
Cassata is a lightly scented daffodil with its split corona opening in a burst of yellow. It matures to almost pure white, folds back against the pristine white petals, almost completely covering them. This flower is perfect for the border and broad sweeps. It can be easily grown in average, medium and slightly acidic soil in full sun. This flower has striking unusual shapes and has a sweet scent to it.
23. Golden Bells:Golden bells daffodil is a 5 to 6 inches tall, late blooming daffodil and has an unusual bell shape. It is also known as the Yellow Hoop Petticoat narcissi. The cups are large, bell-shaped with small pointed petals. Each bulb produces around 15 blossoms. The flower has a fine, grass-like foliage and would make a good cut flower. It is a late mid-season bloomer.
24. Narcissus Tete-a-Tete:This is a timeless, cute and petite bloom. It is a perfectly formed bloom that stands erect on an 8 inches long stem. The flower, if handled properly, can bloom for almost a month. This flower is suited for smaller containers and will add great beauty to your drawing room. The sweet-looking daffodils are sturdy, dependable and adorable. It is one of the favorite flowers amongst the gardeners for its sunshine yellow color and petite proportion. The flower is of deep golden color with slightly reflexed petals and deep yellow cups.
25. Narcissus Avalanche:This daffodil was once called “Seven Sisters” because it bore 12 to 20 flowers on each sturdy stem. The flower is vigorous, fragrant and is a dainty yellow cup, surrounded by pure white petals. The flower thrives in full sun and well-drained soil and blooms every year in March. It is an old-fashioned variety of daffodil and is full of charm.
[ Read: Highly Loved Orchids Flowers ]
Hope you enjoyed the compilation of daffodils flower pictures along with daffodil flower information. Do drop in your comments below.
Latest posts by Arshi Ahmed (see all)
- 10 Best Neem Soap Brands You Can Try - September 29, 2014
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar - September 27, 2014
- 50 Amazing Workout Hairstyles You Can Try - May 15, 2014
- 21 Effective Home Remedies For Red Eyes - April 12, 2014
- How To Improve Blood Circulation in The Body – 18 Effective Home Remedies - April 12, 2014