The Indian gooseberry known as ‘Aamla‘ or ‘Amla‘ in Hindi is popular since decades due to its nutritional benefits. In India, this fruit is used in making pickles, chutneys, jams and murabbas. Amla juice is a healthy drink as it is a storehouse of vitamin C and other nutrients which provide an array of health and beauty benefits. Amla fruit is greatly renowned and amla juice is also used in Ayurvedic medicine. The other names include ‘Usiri Kaya‘ in Telugu, ‘Nellikkai‘ in Tamil, ‘Nelli‘ in Malayalam, ‘Avala‘ in Marathi and ‘Amala‘ in Bengali.
It is regarded as the juice of immortality or the magic potion which keeps you young and fit. Drinking amla juice twice a day can do wonders for your body and skin. It not only improves the appearance of your skin but also helps maintain proper body functions. It also makes your hair grow stronger. Today amla juice is commercially available in medical stores but it is advisable to prepare it at home in order to ensure that it is pure and contains no added preservatives. All these qualities make it a healthy alternative for aerated and processed drinks.
How to Prepare Amla Juice?
The advent of winter season marks the availability of fresh amlas. It is quite simple to prepare amla juice at home. Though it is usually sweetened by adding sugar, you can also add a little jaggery or brown sugar, salt and pepper to the drink to get a different taste. You can also flavor it with a little cardamom powder.
- 1 cup Amla (Indian Gooseberry), cut into pieces
- 1cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of cardamom powder (optional) for a glass of amla juice
- Image: 2
- Wash and dry the amlas and place them in a bowl.
- Adding 1 ½ cup of water to the pressure cooker, place the bowl in it. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and light the stove.
- Switch off the stove after one whistle. Remove the bowl from the stove when there is no pressure in the cooker.
- Now gently touch the gooseberry to see if it has cooled down. Press the amlas with in between your fingers to break them into pieces and remove the seeds.
- Grind sugar into fine powder.
- Grind the amla pieces. If you find it difficult to grind them, add some sugar powder and then grind them.
- To prepare the amla juice concentrate, mix the amla paste with sugar powder and salt.
- You can place this concentrate in a freezer safe box and store it in the freezer.
- You can add 2 to 3 spoons of this concentrate to a glass of water whenever you require amla juice. You can add some cardamom powder and stir well.
- This juice concentrate can be stored in the freezer for 8 months or more. However, it changes color in course of time.
- Since amlas are slightly bitter in taste, you can initially cook them in water. This will make them soft as well as ward off the bitter taste.
Preservation of Amla Juice:
To preserve amla juice, ensure that the quantity of the juice is equal to the capacity of the jar. For instance, 500 grams of amla juice should be stored in a 500 grams capacity glass or a plastic container. Add 2 tablespoons of sodium lactate and mix well. This juice can be preserved in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 months. Sodium lactate is easily available at a chemist or any store that sells food chemicals.
Health Benefits Of Amla Juice:
Amla juice is a great drink to recharge your energy for the rest of the day. Being a storehouse of vitamin C and minerals like iron, it can prevent various diseases and improves your health. Regular intake of this juice provides you the following health benefits.
1. Relieves Asthma And Bronchitis:
Drinking amla juice with honey twice daily can relieve asthma and bronchitis complications. It also reduces the incidence of chronic cough, allergic asthma and tuberculosis.
2. Burns Fat:
Amla juice can cure obesity by increasing protein levels which in turn helps in reducing unwanted fat. It has the ability to create a positive nitrogen balance. It reduces the cholesterol levels, thus minimizing the risk of heart attacks.
3. Relieves Constipation And Piles:
Amla juice helps in relieving constipation caused due to piles. It also regulates the bowel movements and cures chronic constipation.
4. Treatment of Gastric Disorders:
Amla juice is great treatment for gastric disorders and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation in abdomen).It is a good remedy for diarrhea and dysentery. Besides piles and constipation, it helps maintain healthy liver functions. Amla juice is effective in treating peptic ulcers and acidity. If you have acidity problems, you can take amla juice with pure ghee everyday twice a day.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- Is Essiac Tea An Effective Remedy For Cancer? - August 5, 2015
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015