Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apple cider. Cider is an unsweetened, non-alcoholic beverage made from apples. During the fermentation process, the sugar present in the apple cider is broken down into alcohol using bacteria and yeast. It is then turned into vinegar.
Over the centuries, apple cider vinegar has been used in many ways, including making pickles, killing weed and for dressing salads. It can easily be prepared at home. Add “mother of vinegar” to apple cider and leave it to ferment. Always buy unpasteurized, organic vinegars as these ensure proper quality, without the added chemicals or preservatives.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar For Health:
Apple cider vinegar is said to be a natural remedy for many ailments. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, was aware of its antibiotic properties and even recommended it to his patients. Here are a few of its health benefits of apple cider vinegar:
1. Most of the benefits of apple cider vinegar can be attributed to the presence of essential nutrients in it. It includes nutrients like potassium, sodium, chloride, phosphorus, calcium, bioflavonoid, pectin, magnesium, copper and vitamins like Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, C and E.
2. Apple cider vinegar contains a water soluble fibre known as pectin which treats diarrhoea by forming bulk fibrous matter. It forms a protective coat to soothe the colon lining and calms intestinal spasm. Mix apple cider vinegar with water or juice and drink it to treat diarrhoea.
3. To treat indigestion, sip apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water and 1 teaspoon honey before every meal. You can also add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a jug of water and drink it throughout the day. It is also useful for reducing gastritis, bloating and ameliorates symptoms of heart burn. Pectin also promotes bowel movements, making it a great natural treatment for constipation.
4. Apple cider vinegar is very useful for clearing blocked nose due to sinusitis. It breaks the mucous to clear sinuses. Dilute apple cider vinegar with water. Drinking the vinegar without any flavour will help drain sinuses and clear your nose.
5. Hiccups are caused due to overeating or due to slowing of protein digestion caused by low stomach acid. Drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water restores acid balance in the stomach and eases diaphragm spasms.
6. Apple cider vinegar is an effective body odour remedy. It absorbs and neutralizes odour by adjusting the skin’s pH level to eliminate odour causing bacteria. For foot odour, fill a pan with warm water and add 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar. Soak your feet for 15 minutes. Rub a bit of apple cider vinegar in your underarms to dissipate the bad smell.
7. Apple cider vinegar is very effective for treating common cold, cough and sore throat. Make a concoction using one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and honey mixed in 1glass of warm water. Add some mashed ginger and gargle. This will help treat sore throat, cough and chest congestion.
8. Apple cider vinegar contains amino acids and enzyme which counteracts the lactic acid buildup. It is also packed with electrolytes that help relieve exhaustion and lethargy. Add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a glass of vegetable juice and drink it to beat the exhaustion.
9. It treats leg cramps by dissolving acid crystals in the body to reduce the intensity and pain of cramps. Whenever cramps occur, sip some apple cider vinegar diluted with water and a little honey to diminish the pain.
10. Acidic properties of apple cider vinegar make it extremely effective to combat bad breath and gingivitis. It kills the bacteria in your mouth and gums to give you fresh breathe. Gargle with apple cider vinegar mixed with water for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times. This will also remove yellow stains and will help whiten teeth.
11. The enzymes in this vinegar promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which kills excess yeast in the body. Its antiseptic properties make it very useful against bacterial and fungus infections on skin and nails. If you are suffering from foot or toe fungus, soak your feet in apple cider mixed with warm water or apply it directly on the feet. It is also useful for treating ear infection, bladder infection or candidiasis.
12. The anti-glycemic effects of apple cider vinegar improve insulin sensitivity which helps maintain the blood sugar level in the body. Mix 3 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and take it 3 times a day to improve stomach’s rate of digestion. This will help keep the blood sugar level consistent.
13. Acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar can help you shed those extra kilos if taken on a daily basis. It speeds up body’s metabolism to promote weight loss. Drink apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water every morning or sip it throughout the day to shed excess fat.
14. Apple cider vinegar improves the lipid profile of the blood by decreasing triglycerides level to lower blood cholesterol. It increases the level of high intensity lipoprotein cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol in the body. It also inhibits enzymes that cause blood vessels to constrict.
15. Potassium is very beneficial to prevent calcium build up in the joints which lead to joint stiffness. Include apple cider vinegar in your diet to ease arthritis pain. It also contains several essential minerals like calcium, phosphorus and magnesium, which help maintain bone health.
16. Our body needs a slightly alkaline pH to be healthy. Apple cider vinegar increases alkalinity in the body to prevent occurrence of diseases like cancer. It reacts to some toxins in our bodies and converts them to less toxic substance. Therefore taking apple cider tonic assists the body to get rid of diseases.
17. Apple cider vinegar improves circulation in the vein wall and eases bulging and swelling veins to make them less painful. It may, however, take almost a month to give proper results.
18. Apple cider vinegar is very strong and can be really harsh on the esophagus if taken internally. Dilute it with water or mix with herbal tea to address multiple health issues.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin:
19. Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and fuller’s earth clay and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it. Apply this on the skin and leave for 10 to 15 minutes. This detoxifying, deep pore treatment will cleanse your skin to remove dirt and grime from the face.
20. Apple cider vinegar can also be used in place of your regular toner. Add half cup apple cider vinegar to 1 cup water and dab on your face and neck using a cotton ball. This will clear your complexion, diminish discoloration and clear away spots and freckles from the skin. Regular application will give you toned, glowing and moisturized skin. Its toning property is also effective on cellulite. Pour 1 cup apple cider vinegar in your bathtub and soak yourself in it for 20 minutes.
21. Apple cider vinegar has astringent properties which is useful for treating skin conditions like inflammation and psoriasis. Soak a cotton ball in it and apply on the affected areas.
22. Take a clean and washed cloth, soak it in apple cider vinegar and apply on sunburnt area to minimize pain and peeling.
23. Apple cider vinegar contains high amount of sulphur that fights the signs of ageing like age spots and freckles. It tightens the skin and reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Apply apple cider vinegar directly on the face every night before going to sleep and leave it overnight. Wash off the next morning. If you have sensitive skin or feel any kind of stinging sensation, dilute with water.
24. Our body releases toxins which often show up in the form of pimples, rashes and other skin eruptions. Apple cider vinegar absorbs excess oil from the skin and balances the skin’s pH level to control acne breakout. Mix one part of vinegar with 3-4 parts of water and apply this solution on the skin. Wash off after 10 minutes. If you suffer from severe acne problem, leave the solution overnight for better results. You can also directly dab on the blemishes to dry and heal them.
25. If you suffer from warts, soak a cotton ball with vinegar, apply it on the wart and secure with a bandage. Leave overnight and remove in the morning.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair:
26. Add one teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink daily. This will strengthen hair and promote hair growth.
27. Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar to give it more body and luster. It is replete with nutrients which balance the pH value of the scalp and remove dead skin cells to promote hair growth.
28. Vinegar removes build up from the hair shafts and closes the cuticles. By closing the cuticles, the hair slides more easily and is tangle free. The vinegar contains alpha-Hydroxy acid which removes build up from hair to enhance its health.
29. Apple cider vinegar also reduces itchy scalp problems and dandruff by destroying the bacteria and fungi that clog the hair follicles. It promotes blood circulation in the small blood capillaries under the skin and treats yeast and viruses to prevent scalp infection. It also discourages the overgrowth of malassezia furfur, the yeast-like fungus which triggers dandruff.
30. Dilute 1/3rd cup of apple cider vinegar with 4 cups of water. Rinse your hair with this after shampoo. Leave on for 3 minutes and rinse off with cool water. This will seal the hair shaft and give you shiny hair.
31. Mix half cup apple cider vinegar with 1/4th cup of warm water to make a natural conditioner. This will tame unruly, curly and wavy hair and will nourish the hair to give it a soft texture.
32. Exfoliation of scalp is extremely important to remove dead skin cells and rejuvenate. Our scalp has 5 layers of skin and connective tissue with numerous capillaries and blood vessels. These help provide required nutrients to the scalp for proper health of the hair. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) causes build up in the scalp and shrinks hair follicle leading to stunted hair growth.
Thus exfoliation is very important to relax the scalp. Mix 1 teaspoon of brown sugar with your shampoo and massage gently on your scalp. Wash off and rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar and water solution. Leave it for a few minutes and then wash off.
33. Hair thinning or receding hair line is an issue which affects most of us at some point of our life. Apple cider vinegar can be of great help to treat hair loss problem. Part your hair in sections and spray apple cider vinegar directly on the scalp. Wrap your head in a towel and let it stay for an hour. This will restore the proper acid/alkaline balance to the scalp. For acute cases, spray apple cider daily before shampooing. You can also rub apple cider vinegar on the bald patches.
[Read:Benefits Of Vinegar For Hair]
So here are the amazing benefits you can reap from this ingredient! Was this article helpful? Do leave us a comment.