Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apple cider. Cider is an unsweetened, non-alcoholic beverage made from apples. During the fermentation process, the sugar present in the apple cider is broken down into alcohol using bacteria and yeast. It is then turned into vinegar.
Over the centuries, apple cider vinegar has been used in many ways, including making pickles, killing weed and for dressing salads. It can easily be prepared at home. Add “mother of vinegar” to apple cider and leave it to ferment. Always buy unpasteurized, organic vinegars as these ensure proper quality, without the added chemicals or preservatives.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar For Health:
Apple cider vinegar is said to be a natural remedy for many ailments. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, was aware of its antibiotic properties and even recommended it to his patients. Here are a few of its health benefits of apple cider vinegar:
1. Most of the benefits of apple cider vinegar can be attributed to the presence of essential nutrients in it. It includes nutrients like potassium, sodium, chloride, phosphorus, calcium, bioflavonoid, pectin, magnesium, copper and vitamins like Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, C and E.
2. Apple cider vinegar contains a water soluble fibre known as pectin which treats diarrhoea by forming bulk fibrous matter. It forms a protective coat to soothe the colon lining and calms intestinal spasm. Mix apple cider vinegar with water or juice and drink it to treat diarrhoea.
3. To treat indigestion, sip apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water and 1 teaspoon honey before every meal. You can also add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a jug of water and drink it throughout the day. It is also useful for reducing gastritis, bloating and ameliorates symptoms of heart burn. Pectin also promotes bowel movements, making it a great natural treatment for constipation.
4. Apple cider vinegar is very useful for clearing blocked nose due to sinusitis. It breaks the mucous to clear sinuses. Dilute apple cider vinegar with water. Drinking the vinegar without any flavour will help drain sinuses and clear your nose.
5. Hiccups are caused due to overeating or due to slowing of protein digestion caused by low stomach acid. Drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water restores acid balance in the stomach and eases diaphragm spasms.
6. Apple cider vinegar is an effective body odour remedy. It absorbs and neutralizes odour by adjusting the skin’s pH level to eliminate odour causing bacteria. For foot odour, fill a pan with warm water and add 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar. Soak your feet for 15 minutes. Rub a bit of apple cider vinegar in your underarms to dissipate the bad smell.
7. Apple cider vinegar is very effective for treating common cold, cough and sore throat. Make a concoction using one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and honey mixed in 1glass of warm water. Add some mashed ginger and gargle. This will help treat sore throat, cough and chest congestion.
8. Apple cider vinegar contains amino acids and enzyme which counteracts the lactic acid buildup. It is also packed with electrolytes that help relieve exhaustion and lethargy. Add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a glass of vegetable juice and drink it to beat the exhaustion.
9. It treats leg cramps by dissolving acid crystals in the body to reduce the intensity and pain of cramps. Whenever cramps occur, sip some apple cider vinegar diluted with water and a little honey to diminish the pain.
10. Acidic properties of apple cider vinegar make it extremely effective to combat bad breath and gingivitis. It kills the bacteria in your mouth and gums to give you fresh breathe. Gargle with apple cider vinegar mixed with water for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times. This will also remove yellow stains and will help whiten teeth.
11. The enzymes in this vinegar promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which kills excess yeast in the body. Its antiseptic properties make it very useful against bacterial and fungus infections on skin and nails. If you are suffering from foot or toe fungus, soak your feet in apple cider mixed with warm water or apply it directly on the feet. It is also useful for treating ear infection, bladder infection or candidiasis.