Besan or gram flour has been traditionally used extensively for its beauty and health benefits. It is mainly used to cleanse and exfoliate the skin. It can also be used as a hair pack. But before that, are you wondering what gram flour is?
What Is Gram Flour?
Gram flour or ‘Besan‘, as we call it in Hindi, is nothing but a pulse flour that we obtain when we grind chick peas or channa dal. Gram flour is also called as ‘Senaga Pindi’ / ‘Chenaga Pindi‘ in Telugu, ‘Kadalamaavu’ in Tamil, ‘Kadalehittoo‘ in Kannada, ‘Kadala Podi / Kadala Mavu‘ in Malayalam, ‘Channa No Lot‘ in Gujarati and ‘Baeshun‘ in Bengali.
Here are some skin and hair benefits of besan gram flour.
Benefits Of Gram Flour For Skin
Using besan or gram flour for the face and the skin is an age-old trick that we still use. Here are the different ways it can benefit us.
1. To Remove Tan
Mix 4 teaspoons of besan, 1 teaspoon of lemon, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and a pinch of turmeric to form a smooth paste. Apply it all over your face and neck. Wash it off with cool water after it dries. It makes your skin smooth and radiant. Repeat this procedure daily for best results.
[ Read: Homemade Facepacks With Besan ]
2. Skin Lightening
Besan, used along with lemon, is a very popular home remedy for skin lightening. Mix 4 teaspoons of besan, 1 teaspoon of raw milk and 1 teaspoon of lemon to form a smooth paste. Apply it all over your face and gently scrub in circular motions. Wash it off with cool water after it dries.
3. Reduce Oiliness
If you have oily and greasy skin, try this face pack for immediate results. Mix gram flour along with yogurt or raw milk and apply it on your face. Wash it off after 20 minutes. This pack also removes the dirt and makeup residues from your face.
4. Fight Pimples
To fight pimples naturally, try the anti-pimples besan face mask. Mix 2 teaspoons of gram flour, 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder, 1 teaspoon of milk and a pinch of turmeric powder to make a paste. Apply it all over the face. Wash off with cool water after it dries.
5. Dark Arms And Neck
A majority of the Indian women have dark neck and arms. This is due to excessive tanning because of prolonged exposure to sunlight. Mix besan, yoghurt, lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder to form a paste. Apply it on your face and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water and repeat this procedure thrice a week for best results. Massage your arms and neck with sesame oil after using this pack.
[ Read: Pumpkin Juice Benefits ]
6. Instant Fairness
Mix 4 teaspoons of gram flour, 1 teaspoon of ground orange peel and ½ teaspoon of malai. Apply this paste all over the face and neck. Massage your face gently in a circular motion. Keep it on for 15 minutes and wash off with cool water. This pack gives you an instant glow. It makes the skin smooth and soft.
7. Body Scrub
Gram flour is beneficial for the skin as well. Indulge in a homemade body scrub that is free from all the harsh chemicals found in soaps/body wash. Mix 3 teaspoons of besan, 1 teaspoon of grounded oats and 2 teaspoons of corn flour along with a little raw milk. Apply the mixture on your body and gently scrub. This is an excellent body scrub which removes dead cells, excess sebum and dirt quite effectively. It gives you a clean and smooth skin.
8. Unwanted Facial Hair
Besan has been used to remove unwanted facial hair since a long time. Mix fenugreek powder with besan and prepare a paste. Apply it over your facial hair. Wash off when it dries. You can also prepare a face pack by mixing besan, lemon juice, malai and sandalwood powder. Apply it on the areas with unwanted hair and wash off when it dries.
[ Read: Rambutan Fruit Benefits ]
Benefits Of Gram Flour For Hair
9. For Healthy Hair
Do you know that besan can be used to maintain healthy and shiny hair? Prepare a hair pack by mixing 1 egg white, 2 teaspoon of besan, 1 teaspoon curd and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply the pack all over the hair, concentrating on the tips. Allow it to dry and wash off with cool water.
10. For Long Hair
Use this simple home remedy for long and strong hair. Make a nourishing hair pack by mixing gram flour, almond powder, curd and a teaspoon of olive oil. If you have dry and damaged hair, add 1-2 capsules of vitamin E oil. Apply it and rinse with cold water after it dries. Repeat it twice a week.
How To Use Besan/ Gram Flour?
This ingredient is also known to eliminate bad odour as it detoxifies the skin. You can try a few of these homemade remedies for your skin.
- For Acne Scars: Mix besan, a pinch of turmeric powder and 2 table spoons of fresh milk to create a smooth paste and apply evenly on the face and neck area. After 20-25 minutes, wash off with lukewarm water to achieve glowing skin.
- For Dry, Flaky Skin: Mix 2-3 drops of fresh lemon juice with 1 tablespoon besan, 1 teaspoon milk cream or olive oil and ½ teaspoon honey to form a paste. Apply it all over the face and rinse it thoroughly with water when it dries naturally.
- For Oily Skin: Beat one egg white and add 2 tablespoons of besan to make it into a mask. Apply this mask for 15 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
- For Blemish-free Skin: A simple recipe
Ingredients: 50gms chana dal, 10gms fenugreek seeds, 2-3 pieces of turmeric.
Method: Grind all the ingredients into a powder and store it in a container.
Application: Use this powder in a little quantity with some milk cream and wash the face regularly with it instead of soap.
[ Read: Benefits Of Prunes ]
Besan: Tips For Storage
- Store the besan in an airtight container and keep it in a cool place.
- Do not use a wet spoon to take the besan as it leads to the formation of lumps.
- Include besan in your regular beauty regime for healthy skin and hair.
So, now that you know what is gram flour and how effective it is for skin and hair, do you like to include it in your daily regime? Share your thoughts in comments.
- 10 Homemade Besan Face Packs For All Skin Types
- 7 Simple Homemade Beauty Products For Beautiful Skin
- DIY: 6 Home Made Masks For Dark skin
- 3 Effective Homemade Face Packs For Clear Skin
- 6 Turmeric Face Packs For Different Skin Types
Latest posts by Ankita Biswas (see all)
- Best Leave-in Conditioners – Our Top 10 Picks - December 3, 2013
- 6 Types Of Meditation Techniques And Their Benefits - November 26, 2013
- Top 10 Meditation Videos For Reference - November 13, 2013
- Top 5 Dove Face Washes Available In India - October 25, 2013
- Best Ayurvedic Shampoos – Our Top 10 - October 8, 2013