Benefits Of Coconut For Hair
Coconut is one of those few fruits that are useful in multiple ways. Coconut water is not just sweet and refreshing, but full of nutrients too. Pregnant and lactating mothers are advised to drink coconut water to keep their systems cool and clear. The white inside of the coconut fruit is used in cooking, is used in Indian religious rituals and also eaten raw. Besides the fruit part, the milk too is used in cooking. Even the outer shell of the coconut is used in many different ways.
But did you know that besides being good for your health and your skin, coconut is also good for your hair?
If you didn’t know about it, read on to see how coconut milk works wonders for your hair:
Coconut oil is one of the most beneficial oils when it comes to hair care and hair growth. And this is not a new trend. In Indian homes, especially in the southern part of India, coconut oil has been used for centuries to nourish hair and make it healthy, long, thick and black.
- Coconut oil provides nourishment for your hair. It is made up of 92% fat and is a rich source of nutrients.
- Coconut oil is known to provide shine to dull and lifeless hair, especially to dry and brittle hair.
- This oil is popularly used to help deep condition hair. If applied regularly, coconut oil can help nourish the scalp and give back the lost nutrients to the hair.
- Those with dry scalp problems should definitely use coconut oil as it hydrates the scalp and keeps dryness and itchiness away, thus giving you a clean scalp and nourished hair.
- It is also widely believed that coconut oil helps keep lice away, though there is no scientific proof to this.
How to use coconut oil:
- In a small bowl, take some pure coconut oil
- Heat this bowl in the microwave (make sure its microwave proof and don’t put too much oil in the bowl)
- Alternatively, you can place the bowl in a large pan filled with water and place this over heat.
- Check when the oil is hot
- It should be warm, slightly on the warmer to little hot side, and not too hot (too hot can harm the scalp and hair)
- Now take the oil in your hands and gently massage in your scalp using your fingers. Apply it from the roots till the tips. Massage your scalp in this way for at least 10 minutes.
- Leave this on for a minimum of 30 minutes and then wash off
- If you have damaged hair, keep the oil for as long as you can, preferably overnight
- For best results, oil your hair at night before going to bed. You can wrap your hair in a shower cap or warm towel. Wash it off in the morning.
- Doing this thrice a week will give you better and faster results
Benefits of coconut milk for hair:
Coconut milk is a very popular ingredient in cooking, not just in Indian homes, but across the globe. It is considered a key ingredient in many exotic and chef-special dishes as well. But apart from being good to eat, it’s also great for your hair. Coconut milk contains proteins, essential fats, iron and manganese. All these are great when it comes to nourishing your hair.
How to use coconut milk for hair:
- If you want, you can extract the coconut milk yourself by grating dry coconut. Then grind it to a smooth paste and sieve through a cloth.
- Take the coconut milk in your hand and gently massage into the scalp
- Make sure you cover the hair with coconut milk from root to tip
- Let it dry naturally
- Keep this on for about 1 ½ to 2 hours
- Rinse off with water
- Let your hair dry naturally, without using any heating tools.
- This will help your hair become silkier and manageable.
- Shampoo hair the next day
- Do this once again in the week to help reduce hair fall and make hair smoother and silkier.
You can, alternatively, use this together with honey and virgin olive oil.
- Take a can of coconut milk, 4tbsps honey and 4tbsps extra virgin olive oil.
- Add these in a large bowl and mix well
- Once its mixed properly, pour slowly over your head
- Cover your head with a shower cap
- Keep on for 30-45 minutes
- Wash off
Using coconut milk in the above way is also great for hair re-growth.
Now that you know about so many benefits of coconut for your hair, tell us how you used it for your tresses. And do let us know if you have a special recipe too.Share on Facebook Share on Pinterest