Ayurveda has described eight types of milk from different animals, and cow milk holds the first preference amongst all the other types. Cow milk is pure in nature and has a multitude of medicinal benefits. It has been described as nutritive and best for the functionality of vital organs including the heart, brain, and eyes.
Cow milk is an excellent source of fats and proteins, and Ayurveda explains a number of benefits of drinking milk regularly. But before we move on to the benefits, let us take a look at the properties that the milk possesses.
- Cow milk is sweet in taste (swadu paka/madhura rasa).
- It is cooling in nature (sheetha veerya).
- Cow milk is soft (mrudu).
- The density of cow milk is thick (bahala).
- It is oily/unctuous (nigdha).
- It is also believed that cow milk also promotes ojas that helps in strengthening the immunity of the body.
Here are a few benefits of cow milk that you might not be aware of:
1. It is easy to digest.
Cow milk is considered as the best alternative to mother’s milk. Few children suffer from weak digestion, resulting in frequent vomiting and loose motions. For such children, cow’s milk is suggested as it is easy to digest and full of nutrition.
Cow milk is also suggested for breastfeeding mothers as it helps in increasing breast milk.
2. It strengthens the bones.
Cow milk is a rich source of vitamin D, and this plays a major role in absorbing calcium, which ultimately leads to the strengthening of bones. Due to this property, cow milk is strongly recommended for women who are nearing menopause as the chances of osteoporosis are high during this stage.
3. It strengthens the immunity.
Children suffering from infections such as sinusitis or bronchitis must drink cow milk as it helps in strengthening the immunity of the body.
Cow milk is also useful in treating diseases related to the urinary system and other bleeding disorders such as heavy menstrual flow or bleeding from the nose due to heat.
4. Cow milk improves intelligence.
Ayurveda suggests that cow milk improves medha i.e. intellect and is, thus, a great memory booster. It also has the ability to pacify vata dosha, which leads to normal functioning of the nervous system of our body.
Ancestors advocated cow milk as the best brain tonic and a precious drink that has a calming effect on the mind as well as the body. Cow milk supposedly improves the sattva guna in the human body that, in turn, leads to positivity in our bodies.
- Cow milk helps in relieving tiredness and stress from our body.
- It also helps in rejuvenating the cells of the body. This eventually helps in increasing the life expectancy. It also builds seven layers of tissues in our body.
- It is helpful in building and promoting reproductive fluids that help in faster conception. It also helps in increasing sexual strength.
- Cow milk has an effect on tridosha. It calms vata dosha and pitta dosha and increases kapha dosha.
Ashtanga Sangraha textbook explains the uses of cow milk as follows:
अथ गव्यं तु जीवनीयं रसायनम् । क्षतक्षीणहितं मेध्यं बल्यं स्तन्यकरं सरम् ।
श्रमभ्रम मदालक्ष्मी श्वासकासातितृट् क्षुध: । जीर्णज्वर मूत्रकृच्छ्र रक्तपित्तं च नाशयेत् ॥ अ. स. ६/५२
atha gavyaṃ tu jīvanīyaṃ rasāyanam | kṣatakṣīṇahitaṃ medhyaṃ balyaṃ stanyakaraṃ saram |
śramabhrama madālakṣmī śvāsakāsātitṛṭ kṣudha: | jīrṇajvara mūtrakṛcchra raktapittaṃ ca nāśayet || a. sa. 6/52
In short, this explains that cow milk helps in rejuvenating cells, has anti-aging benefits, improves intelligence, strength, and immunity of the body. It also improves lactation and promotes the movement of liquids in channels.
Various Uses Of Cow Milk In Ayurveda
- Cow milk, when processed with garlic, helps in curing problems related to digestion.
- Cow milk is used in the processing of many oils, along with few herbs, because of its nourishing and rejuvenating effects. Such processed oils are used for massage to cure arthritis, calm burning sensations, heal nerve pains, and strengthen muscles and ligaments.
- Cow milk is also used in shirodhara, where a continuous stream of liquid is directed uniformly over the forehead. This helps in curing headache, dizziness, and imbalance between pitta and vata dosha.
- It is also used in Panchakarma procedure, where it is processed with herbs that are useful in curing acid peptic disorders.
- A few people also use cow milk for gargling as it helps in relieving oral ulcers.
How To Drink Cow Milk And In How Much Quantity?
Since the milk of indigenous breeds is already sweet in taste, no additional sugar and other additives are required while drinking it. It is suggested to boil the milk before consumption.
The quantity of consumption varies from person to person. Since it is a rich source of proteins, one or two cups of cow milk a day is sufficient enough for people of any age group.
Who Must Not Drink Cow Milk?
- People who are allergic to milk or dairy products must avoid cow milk.
- Cow milk is not suggested for people dealing with obesity or digestive issues.
- People who have symptoms of kapha dosha must avoid drinking cow milk.
- People who are suffering from heart diseases and high cholesterol levels must also avoid cow milk.
What Are The Side Effects Of Drinking Cow Milk?
The excessive consumption of raw milk (and not boiled) can cause hiccups, and may lead to various respiratory diseases, including difficulty in breathing.
When Must You Avoid Cow Milk?
- You must avoid drinking milk when you are suffering from indigestion as cow milk is heavy to digest, and drinking it may worsen the situation.
- You must also avoid drinking milk if you have a fever.Cow milk is nectar or elixir for the human body, and this is why the cow is considered as a holy animal in most parts of the world. This was all about cow milk and its benefits. Hope this article was useful and informative. Share your views in the comments box below.
Cow milk is nectar or elixir for the human body, and this is why the cow is considered as a holy animal in most parts of the world. This was all about cow milk and its benefits. Hope this article was useful and informative. Share your views in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- If You Rub A Freshly Cut Tomato On Your Face For 3 Seconds, Here’s What Will Happen - April 6, 2017
- It Empties Your Bowels And Makes You Lose A Lot Of Weight Too! - March 30, 2017
- Milk Wax – Never Heard Of This Before, But My Sister Is Using It Since Last Year And Now, Her Skin Is Just Like Milk - March 28, 2017
- She Begins Rubbing Turmeric Onto Her Cheeks. When She Rubs It Off, The Results Are Unbelievable! - March 21, 2017
- 10 Signs That Indicate That Your Partner No Longer Loves You - March 21, 2017