Fenugreek or most commonly ‘methi‘ in Hindi is a popular spice having a strong scent and a pungent flavor. Though it is mostly used for culinary purposes, it has a number of medicinal and beauty benefits too. So what is Fenugreek powder? Fenugreek powder is the dust form of the spice and is easily available in the market. You can also prepare it in your home by grinding dried fenugreek seeds thoroughly. Here are several health, skin and hair benefits of fenugreek powder:
Benefits of Fenugreek Powder for Health
1. The dust of fenugreek seeds is extremely beneficial for our cardiovascular system (1). The spice contains galactomannan, a group of natural polysaccharides (soluble fiber), which promotes the functionality of heart and reduces the risk of heart attack.
2. Fenugreek is high in potassium and low in sodium. Therefore, the powdered seeds can keep our blood pressure under control and regulate our heart rate efficiently (2).
3. When it comes to combating the escalating plasma cholesterol, fenugreek powder comes as a great solution. It can lower the level of Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL or ‘bad cholesterol’) remarkably. So, it is used as a cholesterol blocking agent (3).
4. Diabetic people can be very much benefited by fenugreek powder (4). The galactomannan present in the spice is capable of decelerating the absorption rate of sugar into our bloodstream. Additionally, it comprises almost all essential amino acids that can stimulate the production of insulin. Both of these are effective in controlling diabetes.
5. Fenugreek seeds have deep positive impact on our gastrointestinal system (5). It can flush out toxic materials from our body and keep it clean, which eventually results into better digestion.
6. Chronic constipation can also be treated with fenugreek seed powder. As it cure indigestion problem, the movement of bowel becomes easier and regular (6). Moreover, it contains large amount of dietary fiber, which also contributes to constipation.
7. When ingested in dust form, fenugreek seeds create a protective coat on the inner wall of our stomach as well as intestine and soothe inflammed tissues at the same time. As a result, it does not get affected by the acidic secretion and we do not develop gastric ulcer (7). It is also useful in healing heartburn and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GRD).
9. It has been already mentioned that fenugreek seeds contain lots of dietary fibers. Some of them (the exopolysachharide ‘mucilage’, the glycoside ‘saponin’, etc.) binds to toxic materials present in the consumed foods and eliminate them from the body. It safeguards the mucus membrane of the colon and helps us keep colon cancer at bay (10).
10. Fenugreek powder is one of the most effective natural remedies for women health issues, especially for Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) (11). It is full of two chemical compounds named isoflavones (certain type of phyto-estrogen) and diosgenin (a steroidal saponin), which give a feel of comfort and relaxation during menstrual cramps. Common signs of menopause like hot flashes, mood swing, etc. can also be reduced with it.
11. The diosgenin content of the spice is highly capable of boosting the production of milk in lactating women (12). Hence, fenugreek powder is also a must for would-be mothers as well as moms with newborn babies.
12. Several studies have established that fenugreek can lessen labor pain considerably and make the process of child birth easier by stimulating the contractions of uterine muscles (13).
13. As said previously, certain chemical substances present in fenugreek possess properties like oestrogen (14). They assist in maintaining the hormonal balance and enlarging the breasts in females.
14. Powdered fenugreek is also good for curing high fever (15) and respiratory diseases. It can help us get relief from sore throat and chronic cough.
[ Read: Cowpea Benfeits ]
Benefits of Fenugreek Powder for Skin
15. Fenugreek seeds are known to have excellent anti-bacterial (16), anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, their dust can reduce skin inflammation (17) caused by wounds, eczema, burns, etc. and accelerate the healing procedure.
16. It is a natural anti-ageing remedy. Being rich in niacin or vitamin B3, it can repair already damaged skin cells and regenerate new ones effectively. As a result, we get rid of wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, and so on (18).
17. Fenugreek powder can be used as a great homemade facial scrub. Its regular use can lead to a naturally glowing skin by removing dead cells and diminishing blackheads (19).
18. When used in face pack or face mask, fenugreek powder can reduce the oiliness of our skin and make it free from acne (20).
[ Read: Saw Palmetto for Hair Loss ]
Benefits of Fenugreek Powder for Hair
19. Fenugreek powder is one of the most effective solutions for dandruff (21).
20. It is a natural treatment for frequent hair fall (22). It can curb various issues related to hair follicles and make each of our hair strands strong from the roots.
21. As it holds plenty of protein as well as nicotinic acid, the growth of hair is stimulated to a large extent. Hence, fenugreek powder is considered as a great therapy for balding hair (23).
22. The spice contains an emulsifying element called ‘lecithin’. It conditions our hair, retains its natural shade and makes it shiny (24).
23. You can treat your dry scalp and hair with fenugreek powder. The natural moisturizing or conditioning power of the substance is helpful in removing dryness and repairing damaged hair. So, we can easily bring the luster of our hair back by using it regularly.
[ Read: Benefits of Fenugreek Leaves ]
In brief, adding fenugreek powder to your foods or skincare products can help you in numerous ways.