The inorganic compound called trioxygen, more commonly known as Ozone or O3, is a blue coloured, pungent odorous gas which is a relatively unstable allotrope of oxygen. It is naturally present as a protective layer in the atmosphere surrounding earth that absorbs and inhibits the harmful radiation from the sun from entering the earth’s environment.
This gas can be extracted from air, artificially produced by chemical means or synthesized in a laboratory. Ozone not only eliminates the damaging danger of exposure to harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun but is also vital in sustaining life on the planet and has found other commercial, industrial, agricultural, medicinal and therapeutic usages across the continents.
It is used in disinfectants, sanitizers, pesticides, fabric care products, bottled water, halogens, air purifiers, healthcare products, ozone therapy, salon and spa treatments etc.
Ozone therapy is an alternative medical treatment that is used to treat certain medical conditions like diabetes, heart ailments, slip disc in the spine, eye problems, Parkinson disease, dental cavities, skin and hair problems, and even cancer.
This therapy is hugely popular in Europe and is based on the fundamental property of instability of the ozone molecule containing three oxygen atoms and the resultant high oxidation capacity. It basically involves injecting of ozone into the body after blending it with other liquids and gases.
[ Read: Hair care ]
Ozone Treatment for Hair and Scalp
- Ozone therapy for hair has widely been acknowledged for its effectiveness in treating hair and scalp problems like dandruff, hair fall, hair thinning and damage. These hair problems are mainly caused due to factors like ageing, hormonal imbalance, poor hair care, unhealthy diet, illnesses and infections, genetic traits, pollution and other external factors, which generally dehydrate or infect the scalp to further weaken and damage the hair follicles.
- Ozone with its unstable molecule containing three oxygen atoms has high oxidising properties and releases free oxygen radicals on being injected in any part of the body like the scalp.
- The scalp and hair on being infused with ozone get oxidised leading to the formation of peptones on the hair shaft located in the middle of the strands.
- A protective layer, like the ozone layer guarding the earth’s atmosphere, is formed over each hair strand by peptones that safe guard the hair from breakage, damage and fall. This treatment is provided with the help of machines, combs, ozone creams etc in salons, spas, clinics and by dermatologists.
Benefits of Ozone Hair Treatment:
- On coming in contact with the roots of the hair strands, ozone rejuvenates and fortifies the hair follicles to strengthen and nourish the hair and scalp. This therapy improves blood circulation and eliminates any microbial infection present in the scalp and hair.
- O3 therapy not only treats problems or hair breakage, thinning and loss but it also helps to treat other graver issues like psoriasis, seborrhoic dermatitis, balding and alopecia.
- It adds volume and density to the hair, repairs and reconstructs the strands like treating and eliminating the problem of split ends, controls frizz to make hair manageable.
- It stabilizes the scalp and treats dandruff issues, aids in regeneration of new hair, promotes hair growth and thus helps to create smooth, soft, radiant and beautiful tresses.
- Ozone is good for colour treated hair as the peptones strengthen the bonds between the hair strands and colour dye to protect the hair colour, make it last longer while adding luster to the locks.
- Ozone can have highly toxic and damaging effects on the body if injected in excess quantities.
- Small and regulated amount of ozone is sufficient for the therapy and O3 therapy should preferably be conducted on the advice and guidance of a dermatologist or healthcare practitioner while primarily keeping in mind the health condition of the person opting for the treatment like this therapy is not advisable for pregnant and breast feeding women, people with severe skin allergies etc.
Ozone treatment for hair is fast gaining popularity across the world for its effectiveness. This is a one stop therapy for all your hair and scalp related problems!
Latest posts by Shruti Goenka (see all)
- Create Your Own Maybelline Makeup Kit With These 10 Amazing Products - March 18, 2014
- 10 Pictures Of Emma Stone Without Makeup - March 15, 2014
- 6 Main Causes Of Hair Loss In Children - March 15, 2014
- 10 Diseases Caused By Nutritional Deficiencies - March 14, 2014
- Top 5 Keya Seth’s Bridal Makeup Packages - March 14, 2014