As is evident from its name, papaya leaf juice is a juice extracted from the leaves of papaya plant. We all are aware of the health benefits of eating papaya fruit. But recently papaya leaf extract has gained popularity due to its medicinal properties and it can provide relief against some deadly diseases like dengue and cancer.
With the rise in the incidence of dengue fever, there has been an increasing need for a simple and inexpensive treatment and papaya leaf juice is the ultimate answer. Not only has it proven to be effective in fighting the symptoms of dengue fever but also in curing it. Apart from this, it also has anti-cancer properties as well as other health benefits.
How to Make Papaya Leaf Juice?
Since the papaya leaf juice is quite bitter in taste, it can be combined with other fruit juices. You can prepare papaya leaf juice at home by following the given steps.
- Take several medium sized papaya leaves which are washed and partly dried. Cut them and place them in a sauce pan with around 2 liters of water.
- Boil the water and leaves, and simmer without a lid until the water is reduced to half.
- Now strain the liquid and store it in glass containers. It can be refrigerated and stored for 3 to 4 days. But fresh juice is always preferable.
- The juice should be discarded if it becomes cloudy.
- Alternatively, the juice can be squeezed by crushing the papaya leaves after removing the stems and other fibrous parts.
Although this juice is extremely beneficial, it should particularly be avoided by pregnant women as it may induce abortion. Moreover, it should not be consumed with any thyroid stimulators or Co-enzyme Q10.
Health Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice:
As stated earlier, papaya leaf juice has proven to be effective in curing dengue fever. It offers a host of other health benefits. Some of the health benefits of papaya leaf juice are as follows.
1. Dengue is a deadly disease caused by dengue virus transmitted by the Aedes mosquito. This disease can be fatal at times and is characterized by symptoms such as high fever with headache, severe muscle pain, joint pain, red rashes on the body that can cause itching and a drastic drop in platelets count. So far no specific medicine has been formulated for this disease. Painkillers like Aspirin and Ibuprofen have their own side effects. Papaya leaf juice is a traditional method of curing dengue fever without posing any side effects. Scientific research and several case studies have indicated that papaya leaf juice contains the enzymes chymopapin and papain that boost platelets, also known as thrombocytes and also relieve symptoms. Pharmaceutical companies are already using papaya leaf extract preparations in the form of capsules and liquid formulas. The doctors recommend taking 20 to 25 ml of this juice twice a day for a week for quick results.
2. Papaya leaf has been found to possess anti- malarial properties as well. Thus, papaya leaf juice is often used in some parts of the world as a prophylactic for preventing malaria in certain endemic regions.
3. The greatest anti-cancer properties of papaya are concentrated in its leaf extract. According to a research conducted by the journal of Ethnopharmacology, papaya leaf juice contains certain enzymes that have dramatic cancer fighting properties against a wide range of tumors such as cervix cancer, breast cancer, liver cancer, lung cancer and pancreatic cancer without any toxic effects on the body. As a result, papaya leaf extract is often recommended as part of chemotherapy in some parts of the world. By regulating the T-cells, papaya leaf extract increases the immune system’s response to cancer.
4. Papaya leaves contain important nutrients such as vitamins A, B1, C and E, calories, protein, carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorus, iron and water. Pleaf juice has an important enzyme called papain that aids in digestion by breaking down the proteins naturally.
[ Read: Jeera Water ]
5. Papaya leaf juice contains over 50 active ingredients including the karpain compounds that inhibit microorganisms such as fungi, worms, parasites, bacteria as well as many forms of cancer cells. It is often used in herbal medicines to remove intestinal worms as it contains tannins that protect the intestine from re-infection from tanning proteins in the lining of the intestinal wall. This way the worms cannot attach themselves. Thus, they are effective in suppressing the cause of typhoid fever.
6. Another amazing benefit of papaya leaf juice is its ability to fight viral infection such as the common cold virus. It is a natural way of regenerating white blood cells and platelets. Papaya leaves contain over 50 ingredients including the vitamins A, C and E that support the immune system.
7. Fresh papaya leaves boiled with sliced pieces of orange aid in burning fat as papaya leaf juice is a perfect reducing agent.
8. Papaya leaf juice is effective in relieving menstrual pain. For this purpose, take 1 papaya leaf, add tamarind and salt, mix with a glass of water and boil. Drink this concoction after cooling it for relief.
[ Read: Benefits of Lime Water ]
Skin Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice:
Papaya fruit is great for your skin and is incorporated in several face packs and skin care products to give you a healthy and glowing skin. Apart from the fruit, papaya leaf juice is beneficial for the skin in the following ways.
9. Papaya leaf juice has a higher content of vitamins A and C in comparison to the fruit, which promote skin health.
10. Papaya leaf juice acts as a skin cleansing agent. This can be attributed to the presence of karpain compounds that inhibit microorganisms and other toxins, thus giving you a clear skin and providing protection against skin problems like pimples, freckles and blemishes.
11. Juice of papaya leaves is effective in treating eczema. You can apply it on your affected areas after scrubbing.
12. Fresh papaya leaf juice helps in healing open wounds and sores.
13. The milky juice extracted from the tip of papaya leaves can soften the hardened skin or the corn/wart on the feet.
[ Read: Cabbage Juice ]
Hair Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice:
Due to the abundance of vitamins, minerals and enzymes, papaya leaf extract is often used in a number of hair care formulations like shampoos and conditioners to promote hair growth, strengthen the hair shaft and ward off problems like balding, thinning, dandruff etc. Papaya leaf juice has the following benefits for hair.
14. Papaya leaf juice is often used by health care stores or salons for hair treatment. When used as a conditioner along with other ingredients like coconut milk and honey, it adds shine to dull, lifeless hair and softens coarse and unruly hair.
15. Papaya leaf extract is particularly used as an ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos meant to control flakes and prevent dandruff. Due to the presence of karpain compounds, it is effective in removing dirt and oil, as well as chemical build up from hair without any side effects.
[ Read: Blackcherry ]
Hope you find this article useful! Do leave us a comment.
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- Top 10 Most Beautiful Miss World Winners - August 20, 2014
- 5 Types Of Brain Waves And Effects Of Meditation On Them - August 18, 2014
- Top 10 MAC Makeup Kits Available In India - August 14, 2014
- Top 10 Cherry Red Lipstick Brands Available In India - August 14, 2014