Think about a relaxed afternoon at home and chances are you will think of a perfect time on the couch, munching on some yummy potato chips!
Potatoes have been an integral part of everybody’s diet. These are one of the most widely used vegetables that are found in almost every kitchen around the world.
About the Potato:
A typical potato can be described as a starchy vegetable belonging to the Solanaceae or nightshade family which also includes tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and tomatillos. The swollen portion of the underground stem called the tuber is edible. This is the part that we refer to as a potato and it provides food for the leafy portion of the plant. Potatoes, also known as ‘aloo‘ in Hindi, ‘Alu Gadda’ in Telugu, ‘Urulai Kizhangu‘ in Tamil, ‘Urula Kizhangu‘ in Malayalam, ‘Aaloo Gadde‘ in Kannada, ‘Batata‘ in Gujarati, ‘Batata‘ in Marathi and ‘Gol Alu‘ in Bengali are available all the year round and are usually harvested every month.
Considering the fact that potatoes are the fourth largest food crops after rice, wheat and maize, they form an integral part of the world’s cuisine. They are an important staple food and the leading vegetable crop in the world. These vegetables can fit into almost every dish and hence, are regarded as a comfort food.
Apart from being delicious when cooked, potatoes are quite nutritious. They have a high content of carbohydrates and vitamin C. Potatoes offer several health benefits. Of late, the cosmetic benefits of potatoes have also been recognized.
Skin Benefits Of Potato:
Apart from being used as a food source, potatoes have an important role to play in skincare as well. As pointed out earlier, they are rich in vitamin C which is vital for maintaining skin health. Thus, this starchy vegetable is beneficial for your skin in the following ways.
1. Removal of Dark Circles:
Potatoes are a natural under eye brightener and so, applying potato juice or potatoes directly on the affected area can banish dark eye rings.
- Peel and slice a raw potato into large pieces.
- Placing them in a cloth or handkerchief, stick them on your eyes for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Doing this regularly will reduce your dark circles considerably.
- You can also apply potato juice under your eyes with a cotton ball to fade away dark circles.
2. Treatment of Wrinkles:
Potato is considered as an effective anti-ageing beauty agent, particularly in warding off wrinkles.
- Regular application of potato juice imparts a healthy glow to your skin
- It also helps to soften your skin as well as keep wrinkles at bay.
3. Treatment of Dark Spots:
Potatoes are a natural way of fading away those dark spots.
- If you have black spots on your face, you can blend peeled potatoes in a blender
- Next, apply them on your face.
- Give a gentle massage
- Then do peeling for 5 minutes
- Once done, rinse off with clean water.
4. Removal of Facial Blemishes:
Facial blemishes adversely affect your appearance and potato juice is a great natural way to get rid of them.
- Use cold potato juice as a daily facial rinse
- This can help you get rid of your blemishes
- It will help reveal clear and perfect skin.
5. Treatment of Sunburns:
Potatoes are wonderful for treating sun burnt skin.
- All you need to do is place cold potato slices on the affected areas
- Alternatively, you can simply dab potato juice on the spot.
- This will give you a soothing and cooling sensation as well as diminish your suntan.
6. Skin Lightening:
Potatoes are a natural skin lightening agent.
- Apply a mask of grated raw potato on your face and rinse off with water after 30 minutes.
- Using this on a regular basis will make your face smooth, clean and bright as well as reduce facial swelling.
- You can also apply a mixture of lemon and potato juices to lighten your skin naturally.
- This acts as mild bleach for your skin and yields quick results.
7. Potato for Dry Skin:
If you have dry skin, potatoes will help give you that smooth skin feeling in minutes.
- Make a face mask by mixing a grated potato with half a teaspoon of curd.
- Apply it on your face for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
- This will act as an anti-ageing mask to hydrate your skin from within
- It will also help to replenish moisture into dry skin to iron out fine lines effectively.
8. Lifting of Dead Skin Cells:
Potatoes can also remove dead skin cells on the face.
- You can apply grated peeled potatoes on your face for 10 minutes
- Once done, rinse with clean water.
- Doing this regularly will rejuvenate your skin.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- Is Essiac Tea An Effective Remedy For Cancer? - August 5, 2015
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015