Evening primrose is a plant that is found in North America, Europe and various other places of southern hemisphere. The evening primrose oil is very beneficial for blood vessels, development of the body, headaches, ageing problems, alcoholism, acne, menopause, heart, sclerosis, obesity, PMS, weight, schizophrenia and many more. Let’s check few of these benefits in short.
Evening Primerose Oil Uses:
Health Benefits of Primrose Oil:
1. Cures Menstrual Pain and Relives Discomforts:
Primrose oil relieves the pain and discomfort associated with PMS, menstruation, menopause, endometriosis and fibrocystic breasts. GLA present in this oil lessens menstrual cramps and may also reduce the premenstrual tenderness of breasts, carbohydrates cravings etc.
2. Heart Problems and Anti-inflammatory properties:
This oil on regular use reduces the cholesterol, controls blood pressure and thus protects from heart problems. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which cures the inflammation due to rheumatoid arthritis.
Usually diabetics have GLA deficiencies which could be supplied by consuming primrose oil capsules or in other forms too. It also protects diabetics from diabetic neuropathy, a nerve related problem that affects diabetic patients.
4. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):
Two-thirds of children suffering from ADHD showed positive results after using primrose oil.
[ Read: Canola Oil Brands Available in India ]
5. Alcohol Withdrawal:
Due to GLA in this oil, the brain prompts to make prostaglandin E that helps in preventing these alcohol withdrawal symptoms like seizures, depression etc. and protects the liver and nervous system.
6. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:
It is believed that evening primrose oil and good fish oil together can be used to cure chronic fatigue syndrome.
7. Counter Impotence and Infertility:
The GLA in the evening primrose oil can help in curing male impotence by improving the blood flow. For this usually the oil is taken along with vitamin C and ginkgo biloba. It also improves uterine function thus helping women who can’t conceive.
8. Joint pain and Rheumatoid Arthritis:
GLA and various other supplements in primrose oil reduce the pain and the inflammation in the joints and swellings due to rheumatoid arthritis.
[ Read: Oats Benefits ]
Primrose oils improves nerve impulses and thus improves brain functioning preventing brain related diseases like Alzheimer’s.
Skin Benefits of Primrose Oil:
10. Cures Eczema:
GLA of primrose oil can help in curing eczema. It helps in relieving the inflammation, itching, oozing and flaking due to eczema.
11. Reduces Clogging Of Pores:
Few essential fatty acids present in primrose oil helps in reducing the risk of clogged pores formation and development of lesions. It also cures the inflammation due to rosacea by controlling the use of nutrients in the skin cells and producing prostaglandins.
And the other benefits are listed below.
12. It has anti-aging properties reducing early ageing.
13. It makes the skin to re-produce new skin cells.
14. It also lightens dark circles making them look younger and less tired.
15. It also helps in smoothing the rough skin.
16. It rejuvenates the skin.
[ Read: Red Cherry Benefits ]
17. It cures blemishes and evens out skin tone.
18. It hydrates extremely dry skin.
19. It decreases fine lines and wrinkles making skin look younger.
20. It helps in repairing the skin cells.
21. It gives elasticity to the skin thus giving a firmer skin.
Nails and Hair Benefits of Primrose Oil:
22. Makes Nails Strong:
The fatty acids present in primrose oil prevent nails from break and crack. It also keeps them strong and healthy always.
23. Treats Scalp Related Problems:
These fatty acids also nourish the scalp and treat various scalp related problems.It is believed that this oil improves hair growth but it is proven that it reduces the risk of thinning of hair and hair loss, especially in menopausal women and people with thyroid problems.
[ Read: Pomegranate Peel Benefits ]
Few Tips before Taking Primrose Oil:
It is always recommended to consult a doctor before taking it, especially when you have any medical conditions and you are on medication. Generally it is recommended to take 6 to 8 grams per day but dosages may differ from person to person. It is also suggested to take vitamin C along with this oil for better absorption.
Hope you liked this article on the evening primrose oil benefits. Do leave us a comment.
Did You Find This Article Helpful?
Latest posts by Gayatri (see all)
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Hyacinth Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 25, 2014
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Rue Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 23, 2014
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of St. John’s Wort For Skin, Hair And Health - April 22, 2014
- 32 Amazing Benefits Of Frankincense For Skin, Hair And Health - April 22, 2014