Prunes, also known as dried plums or (Sukhe Aloo Bukhara) in Hindi, are the dried version of European plums (1). Commonly known for their constipation relieving properties, these are highly nutritious fruits with a sweet taste and chewy texture.
Ideally, a cup of prune juice contains 182 calories. The calorie breakdown is as below
- Carbohydrates (96% )
- Fats (0%)
- Proteins (4%)
Prune Juice Benefits for Skin:
Prune juice is healthy for the overall well being of a person. It is also very good for the skin as it is a natural fibre-packed fruit juice with the goodness of vitamins & minerals and is free from any harmful ingredients.
Here are a few reasons how prune juice is good for your skin:
1. Reduces Skin Problems:
Acne and pimples are the most common skin problems faced by today’s youth, and even adults. Prune juice is helpful in minimizing these skin troubles to a great extent. Known for its colon cleansing properties (2), it should be included in the weekly diet to keeping the stomach clean and healthy as it will flush out any toxic waste that are a cause for skin problems.
2. Prevents ageing:
3. Loaded with essential vitamins:
Vitamins work miracles for our skin and prune juice is rich in vitamin A & C (4). Hence a glass of prune juice will boost your body with vitamins and you’ll no longer need to rely on taking any extra vitamin supplements.
[ Read: Benefits Of Avocado For Skin ]
4. Mineral supply for the skin:
Prune juice is believed to contain minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus etc. which fight any mineral deficiency in the body and give you a glowing healthy skin.
5. Wonderful Moisturizer:
This amazing fruit is known to have great moisturizing effects over human skin. Those who are suffering from excessively oily or dry skin can try applying a prune face mask. This magical face pack is extremely helpful in making the skin soft, smooth and revitalized.
Prune Juice Benefits for Hair:
6. For healthy Hair:
Prune juice is a rich source of vitamins such as vitamin B, vitamin C etc. which are very good for the health of your hair. These components strengthen hair follicles from the roots and prevent breakage and damage.
[ Read: Pineapple Juice ]
7. Promotes hair growth:
Minerals play a vital role in providing nourishment to the hair and scalp. These provide the essential nutrients to your hair roots, which in turn promote hair growth and give you shiny and lustrous hair.
8. Natural colouring agent:
Prune juice is also used as a natural colouring agent by many people all over the world.
[ Read: Benefits Of Cherry Juice ]
Health Benefits of Prunes /Prune Juice:
9. Prevents Constipation:
A fast paced lifestyle and lack of proper eating habits is leading more and more people to get affected with constipation these days. Regular intake of junk food is another cause of constipation. Prune juice for constipation is a commonly known remedy as it is very rich in insoluble fibre content which provides bulk to the waste materials and makes it easier for stools to pass, thus relieving constipation (5).
10. Balances Blood Sugar:
The soluble fibre present in prune juice normalizes blood sugar levels by decreasing the rate at which food leaves the stomach and by slowing the absorption of glucose. These soluble fibres also increase insulin sensitivity which further helps in the prevention of diabetes (6).
11. Maintains Cholesterol Balance:
The insoluble fibre content of prune juice acts as food for the healthy bacteria present in the large intestine of humans. These healthy bacteria ferment the insoluble fibre to produce butyric acid, propionic and acetic acid. Propionic acid is known to lower the activity of an enzyme involved in the production of cholesterol, thus reducing the level of cholesterol in the blood (7).
12. Prevents Haemorrhoids:
As prune juice benefits constipation it is also known to prevent one from haemorrhoids, which are dilated blood vessels caused when there is strain due to constipation or hard bowel movements (8).
13. Protects the heart:
Prune juice is a rich source of anti-oxidants that are known to lower the risk of heart diseases (9). These anti-oxidants prevent cholesterol from oxidizing and prevent any build up in the arteries. Prune juice also contains a good amount of potassium that helps in lowering blood pressure.
14. Good for Anaemia:
15. Ideal weight loss diet:
Prune juice is a great source of energy and hence works well when you include it in your weight loss diet (11). In addition, the soluble fibre present in the prune juice adds bulk to the diet so that you feel satisfied, full and do not overeat.
Selection and Storage:
- While buying prunes, look for the ones sold in transparent container so as to ensure their good quality and health.
- Plumpy, bluish black prunes that are soft and absolutely mold free should be preferred always.
- Before you pay for the prunes, inspect the packaging to see whether it is tightly sealed or not. Loose sealing may cause the prune’s moisture to evaporate. Check out for the ingredients as well. Don’t pick prunes which have preservatives like sulphates in them.
- Store the dried prunes in a cold, dark place. If you want to double your prunes’ life, consider keeping them in refrigerator.
- Don’t forget to tightly seal the container each time after using prunes.
Tips for Usage (Cooking/Eating):
- Steeping the prunes in water or juice for sometime before cooking will help in cutting down your cooking time.
- Remember, completely dry plums aren’t a good candidate for fast cooking. Cook them at low heat. For fast cooking, consider using semi-dried plums.
- If your prunes are excessively dry, dunk them in hot water for a couple of minutes before using.
Pulverized prunes make a great substitute for butter and fat in baked goods, adding their sweetness to the recipe. Prunes can be an excellent addition to the meat and starchy-vegetable dishes. Or, you can also incorporate them in liquid dishes such as cock-a-leekie, stews, compotes and tagines. Stewed prunes make a great combination with rosemary-scented braised. You can also serve them on top of pancakes and waffles. Combine cubed prunes with other dried-fruits and nuts to make a scrumptious trail mix.
Hope you’ve found the article useful.
Not only is prune juice great for your skin, it’s also great for your hair and your overall well-being. Now that you know prunes benefits, do let us know how you plan to include it in your diet and what are the benefits you’ve gained!
- Amazing Benefits Of Soursop Juice For Skin, Hair And Health
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Drinking Vegetable Juices For Health And Beauty
- 16 Amazing Health Benefits Of Watercress Juice And 2 Yummy Recipes
- 5 Simple Steps To Make Bitter Gourd Juice For Diabetes
- 15 Amazing Benefits Of Barley Grass Juice
Latest posts by IRA SHARMA (see all)
- How To Lose Weight From Hips? - November 12, 2013
- 15 Best Benefits Of Prune (Sukhe Aloo Bukhara) Juice For Skin, Hair And Health - October 22, 2013
- Hema Malini’s Beauty, Makeup And Fitness Secrets Revealed - October 19, 2013
- Top 10 Benefits Of Watermelon Juice (Tarbooz Ka Ras) For Skin, Hair And Health - October 16, 2013
- 19 Amazing Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes (Shakarkandi) For Skin And Health - May 6, 2013