Yummy, juicy and mouth-watering, we love to enjoy strawberries in the form of ice creams, shakes, smoothies and other desserts.
Strawberry is also called the queen of fruits for its sweet tart unique taste and its versatility. The strawberry fruit is not just limited to deliciousness but has many health benefits as well. It has been named as one of the top 10 antioxidant foods. Strawberries have the maximum nutrients in comparison to all the other fruits.
Let’s look at the health benefits of strawberries and how we can include them in our daily health regimen.
Strawberries – The Luscious Berries!
- They are members of the rose family and have been grown in the wild for centuries.
- The name strawberry is a misnomer as it is not a berry at all. It is considered as an accessory fruit as its fleshy part has not been derived from the ovaries but from the receptacle that holds the ovaries. It is an aggregate of several small fruits each containing one seed called ‘achene’. Thus, it is the only fruit whose seeds are visible from outside.
- Today strawberries are widely available and are consumed either fresh or as part of processed foods like juices, pies, ice creams, jams, milkshakes and chocolates due to their juicy texture and sweetness.
- Strawberry extracts are used as preservatives in a variety of products. There are different varieties that vary in size, shape and color. Some strawberry fruits are even off white or yellowish in color.
- The smaller varieties have a stronger flavor than the bigger ones which are generally watery.
Benefits Of Strawberry:
Apart from being extremely delicious, strawberries are rich in vital nutrients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants with benefits for health, skin and hair.
Skin Benefits Of Strawberry:
Strawberries don’t just satisfy your taste-buds, they are proven beauty enhancers that can work wonders for your skin. Strawberry extracts are often used in beauty products of leading brands. Apart from consumption, it can be used on your skin as a facial mask, scrub or toner to give you a glowing skin. Some of its benefits for skin are as follows:
1. Excellent Skin Cleanser:
- Strawberry has great cleansing properties.
- Strawberry extracts are often used as an ingredient in skin cleansers, face washes, refreshing bubble baths and rejuvenating face masks as they contain vitamin C, salicylic acid, antioxidants and exfoliants.
- Salicylic acid removes dead cells from the face while tightening the pores.
- Ellagic acid being an antioxidant combats skin damage to maintain its youth and freshness. Thus, strawberries remove impurities and soften the skin as well as soothe allergies and other irritants and provide protection against pollution.
2. Improves Complexion:
- Strawberry juice has skin lightening properties. It is effective in removing age spots and freckles.
- You can squeeze the fruit to extract its juice and place it in a small cup.
- Apply the juice all over your face with a cotton ball and rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 to 15 minutes to get a glowing complexion.
3. Skin Toner:
- Strawberries can be used as a skin toner.
- Grind them to extract the juice. Mix two teaspoons of this juice with 50 ml of rose water and refrigerate it.
- You can use it instead of your regular skin toner to achieve wrinkle free, blemish free and younger looking skin. This juice can be stored up to 10 days.
4. Protection from Ultraviolet Radiation:
Strawberries contains ellagic acid .Applied topically protects the skin against the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays, which are primarily responsible for skin ageing.
5. Anti-ageing Properties:
- Vitamin C and other antioxidants present in strawberries prevent damage caused by free radicals to the skin and body. Free radicals occur during the process of transformation of food into energy. Free radicals accelerate the ageing process and vitamin C is effective in blocking the damage caused by free radicals.
- You can prepare an anti-ageing face pack by mixing a teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of milk cream with mashed strawberries.
- Apply this pack all over your face and neck and leave for 20 minutes. Wash off with clean water and pat dry.
- Since strawberry has anti-ageing properties, this pack can be quite suitable for mature skin by rejuvenating it as well as minimizing pores and lines to give you healthy skin.
[ Read: Cardamom Benefits ]
6. Treatment of Acne:
- Vitamin C, Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), salicylic acid and flavonoids in strawberries help in clearing acne and reducing oil.
- Fresh strawberry masks are effective for people with dull, damaged or acne-prone skin.
- If you are suffering from acne, mash 7 to 8 strawberries and add 1 tablespoon of milk to the mash. Apply this mixture on your face and rinse after 10 to 12 minutes. This strawberry treatment should be done at least twice a week to get rid of acne naturally.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015
- 10 Amazing Uses of Neem Powder - May 19, 2015