As a child, I was forced to drink a glass of haldi doodh (turmeric added to milk) every time I fell sick. And given its bitter taste, this drink was my biggest nightmare as I have a sweet tooth.
With time I learned how good this simple home remedy is to beat the everyday tiredness and anxiety.
But wait, that’s not the only benefit of having hot milk with turmeric. Read on to find out more!
Benefits Of Turmeric Milk (Haldi Milk)
Turmeric (Haldi) has natural antibiotic properties and milk is a rich source of calcium. The inclusion of these two natural ingredients in your everyday diet can prevent diseases and infections.
This is an effective remedy to fight hazardous environmental toxins and harmful microorganisms.
Here are the best turmeric milk benefits:
1. Respiratory Illness:
Turmeric milk is antimicrobial and fights bacterial infections and viral infections. It is useful in treating illnesses related to the respiratory system since the spice heats up your body and provides quick relief from lung congestion and sinuses. This is also an effective remedy to cure asthma and bronchitis.
This milk made from raw turmeric (kachi haldi) prevents and stops the growth of breast, skin, lung, prostate, and colon cancers since it has anti-inflammatory properties. This prevents the cancer cells from damaging the DNA and reduces the side effects of chemotherapy.
Turmeric milk is anti-inflammatory and can prevent and protect from arthritis and stomach ulcers. It is also known as a ‘natural aspirin’ in Ayurvedic medicine and can cure headaches, swelling and pain.
4. Turmeric Milk For Cough And Cold:
Milk with turmeric is considered the best remedy for cold and cough due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties. It gives instant relief to a sore throat, cough and cold. In fact, you can beat that stubborn cold if you start drinking turmeric milk everyday.
5. Golden Milk For Joints:
Turmeric milk is used to cure arthritis and treat swelling due to rheumatoid arthritis. It also helps in making the joints and muscles flexible by reducing the pain.
6. Aches And Pains:
Turmeric golden milk gives the best relief from aches and pains, especially back pain. This can also strengthen the spine and the joints in the body.
Hot milk with turmeric powder is an excellent source of antioxidants that fight free radicals. It can cure many ailments.
8. Blood Purifier:
Turmeric milk is considered an excellent blood purifier and cleanser in Ayurvedic tradition. It can revitalize and boost the blood circulation in the body. It is also a blood thinner that cleanses the lymphatic system and the blood vessels from all impurities.
9. Liver Detox:
Turmeric milk is a natural liver detoxifier and blood purifier that boosts the liver function. It supports the liver and cleanses the lymphatic system.
10. Bone Health:
Turmeric milk is an excellent source of calcium which is necessary to keep the bones healthy and strong. India’s batting legend, Sachin Tendulkar, drinks this daily for good bone health. Turmeric milk lowers the bone loss and osteoporosis.
It is a powerful antiseptic that promotes intestinal health and treats stomach ulcers and colitis. This helps in better digestion and prevents ulcers, diarrhea, and indigestion.
12. Menstrual Cramps:
Turmeric milk works wonders as it is an antispasmodic that eases menstrual cramps and pain. Pregnant women should have golden turmeric milk for easy delivery, postpartum recovery, improved lactation, and faster contraction of ovaries.
[ Read: Foods To Relieve Menstrual Cramps ]
13. Rash And Skin Redness:
Cleopatra would bathe in turmeric milk for soft and supple skin. Drink turmeric milk for a glowing skin. Dip a cotton ball in turmeric milk and apply on the affected area for 15 minutes to reduce the skin redness and blotchy patches. This will make the skin more radiant and glowing than before.
14. Weight Loss:
Wondering, benefits of turmeric milk for weight loss? Well, turmeric milk helps in the breakdown of dietary fat. This can be useful in controlling your body weight.
[ Read: Turmeric For Weight Loss ]
Drink a glass of turmeric milk every day to treat eczema.
Warm turmeric milk produces an amino acid, tryptophan, that induces a peaceful and blissful sleep.
17. Turmeric Milk For Fair Skin:
Having turmeric milk religiously can lend a glow to your skin. This is because the antioxidant properties of turmeric milk fight the free radicals that are known to damage our skin, leading to loss of sheen and elasticity.
18. Alzheimer’s Disease:
A good news for all those who have Alzheimer’s!A glass of hot turmeric milk, when taken daily, can help better your condition by slowing its progress.
19. Clear Complexion:
Trust turmeric milk to give you flawless skin without any side-effects. There is a reason why it was seen as a beauty aid in the ancient times. It makes your skin smooth and spot free, reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and acne spurts.
[ Read: Juices For Glowing Skin ]
20. Cures Autoimmune Diseases:
Sometimes due to some unknown and unexplained reasons, our immune system turns against our own cells and tissues, resulting in autoimmune disorders like scleroderma, rheumatoid and psoriasis.Having a glass of warm turmeric milk is a good way to keep these conditions at bay.
21. Treats Headaches:
Trust warm turmeric milk to bring you relief from even the stubborn headaches.
The turmeric ups the mucus flow in the system, preventing sinus congestion and preventing sinus problems.
22. Improves Reproductive Health:
As a mild phytoestrogen, turmeric can help promote the reproductive health in women. They are particularly recommended to women who can’t conceive due to hormonal imbalances.
How To Make Turmeric Milk At Home
Making turmeric milk is the easiest process ever. Here is how to make golden milk recipe:
You Will Need
- 1-inch raw turmeric (kachi haldi) piece/1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 glass of milk
- Honey (or any sweetener)
What You Need To Do
- Begin the process by dropping one-inch turmeric piece in a pan.
- Add milk and let it boil for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you want, you can add half a teaspoon of your choice of sweetener.
- Strain the prepared turmeric and milk drink and pour it into a glass.
- Drink this incredible drink while it’s nice and warm.
So, that was the recipe for golden milk, now let us look into what are the adverse effects of drinking golden turmeric milk.
A Word Of Caution
Here are a few side effects and risk factors associated with turmeric milk, which when ignored can cause serious problems:
- Check for allergies before you consume turmeric milk. Those reporting allergic reactions experience mild and itchy rashes, typically on the neck or face.
- Don’t go overboard with this golden drink. An overdose can cause heartburn, indigestion, diarrhea, nausea, liver troubles, internal bleeding, hyperactive gallbladder contractions, low blood pressure, alopecia, and disturbances in menstruation.
- Pregnant women should avoid taking too much of turmeric as it can cause uterine wall contractions.
- Turmeric may interfere with certain medications, so those taking anticoagulants like aspirin should totally avoid it. They can also interact with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Consult your physician before you start drinking turmeric milk.
Now you know what are the best benefits of turmeric milk and why you should consume turmeric milk drink regularly. Start reaping benefits of turmeric with milk today, and get the fair skin like never before! Let’s now take a look at a few frequently asked questions.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
I have a surgery planned, when should I stop drinking turmeric milk?
It is generally advised to leave a gap of two weeks between the surgery and stopping turmeric milk to avoid any complications.
Can I consume turmeric milk if I’m suffering from gallbladder stones?
It’s fine if you have it in moderation If had in higher doses, golden milk can worsen the condition in many patients.
Can I take turmeric when on blood thinners?
No, you shouldn’t. It is not advisable to take turmeric or gold milk when on blood thinners as it can interact with it, further worsening the situation.
Can I take turmeric during pregnancy and while breastfeeding?
Avoid having too much of turmeric when you are pregnant as it may cause upset stomach and diarrhea, especially when you are taking them for the first time.
Stay fit, stay healthy!
- 10 Simple Ways Of Using Turmeric To Cure Pimples
- How To Fight Diabetes With Turmeric?
- 8 Amazing Health Benefits Of Turmeric Tea And 3 Yummy Recipes
- How To Use Turmeric To Treat Allergies?
- 10 Amazing Turmeric Face Packs For Different Skin Types
Latest posts by Tanya Choudhary (see all)
- Brown Rice Vs White Rice—Which One Is Better? - January 25, 2017
- 9 Unknown Side Effects Of St. John’s Wort - January 6, 2017
- 50 Latest Saree Blouse Designs From 2017 That Are Sure To Amaze You - December 1, 2016
- 7 Reasons Why You Should Save Those Potato Peels - November 30, 2016
- 29 Pictures Of Tamanna Without Makeup - April 17, 2016