Have you ever thought about workout options that do not require you to sweat vigorously or take up lots of time? If the answer is yes, it is time you opted for Callanetics exercises.
Are you interested in knowing more? Keep reading!
Callanetics – An Overview:
Callanetics is a form of workout incepted by noted ballerina Callan Pinckney. She was afflicted with knee and back pain that forced her to use a wheelchair. However, this experimental exercise form helped her return to her profession once again (1).
Callanetics involves the usage of small and precise movements, and celebrities like Madonna have inducted it into their fitness regime.
Why Opt For Callanetics?
There are several advantages for choosing this form of exercise:
- One big reason so many people opt for Callanetics workout is it is really easy to practice. The low impact exercises help tone and strengthen the muscles in your body.
- People from almost any age group can do the exercises without any hassles.
- You don’t have to use too much equipment either.
- The movements target individual body muscles in a precise manner.
- There is a very little risk of injuring yourself while doing the workouts, unlike some other types of exercise.
- It does not focus on any special diet or supplements.
Top Callanetics Exercises You Can Try
Following are the top Callanetics exercises you can try out:
1. Pulsed Crunches
This is one effective Callanetics exercise that targets the muscles in your stomach and abdominal region.
- You need to lie on the floor while keeping both the feet hip-width apart.
- Raise your knees.
- Place your hands (palms down) at the sides.
- Now, slowly lift your head and torso. Ensure your hands and legs are firm on the ground and aren’t moving.
- Take your head and torso forward, as much as possible.
- Once you have bent forward the maximum, stay in that position for a minute or so, and return to the starting position.
This Callanetics exercise helps you develop core strength and endurance in the back and the abdominals.
- Firstly, you will need to get on your knees and hands. Now, straighten one leg backwards at once and then lift your knees off the floor.
- Next, lower the body down on the forearms and pull the abdominal muscles inwards. The back should be flat, and your body should resemble a straight line from heels to the head. Be in this posture for a minute or so.
[ Read: Abdominal Exercises For Women ]
3. Double Straight Leg Lower
This exercise is meant specially for tightening your abdominals.
- You will need to lie on your back. Now, bring your knees to the chest.
- Next, extend one leg towards the ceiling. Then stretch your arms sidewise with palms down. Your lower back should be aligned to the floor. Ensure the neck and shoulder are relaxed.
- Breathe in and lower the legs without lifting your lower back.
- Slowly, breathe out and bring legs straight upwards. This can be done 10 times.
4. Downward Dog
This exercise helps stretch your back, hamstrings, and shoulders. It also aids in opening up the chest and strengthens the upper body.
- Get on your hands and knees first. The knees should be kept hip width apart while hands should be kept shoulder width apart.
- Breathe in and then curl the toes under your heels.
- Next, breathe out and move the hips upwards.
- Push back your body while straightening the arms and legs. Your body will resemble an upside down “V” figure.
- Now, spread your fingers and press the chest downwards. The tailbone should be upwards, and lower heels should be downwards.
- While hanging your head, breathe for 30 seconds or so.
5. Inclined Push-Ups
This is one multipurpose exercise that works on body parts like arms, abs and chest.
- At first, kneel on a mat and face a low object like an exercise ball. Place both your hands on the exercise ball and keep hands shoulder-width apart.
- Lean forward from the hip of your body and shift your weight onto your toes. Ensure the back is flat from the heels to head.
- Now, pull in the abdomen and breathe in. Lower your body and bend the arms until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle.
- Next, breathe out and revert to the starting position and straighten the arms; ensure you are not locking your elbows. You can do this 10 times.
[ Read: Scoliosis Exercises And Their Benefits ]
6. Extended-Arm Sit-Ups
This exercise works on your back, thighs and leg muscles.
- Lie on your back on the mat and keep legs stretched in front.
- Roll up the body and stretch your hands till your feet.
- Try to touch your knees with your forehead.
- Stay in that position for some time.
- In case you aren’t able to touch your knees with your forehead, just reach your feet with your palms and stay in that position.
7. Bicycle Twists
This twist exercise works on your spine, knees and back as well.
- Lie down on the floor and keep your knees bent. Your shins should be at an angle of 90 degrees to the ground.
- Place both hands behind your head and keep your elbows outwards sidewise.
- Now, lift your upper body and twist to a side that will bring the elbow closer to the outside knee. The other leg should be at an angle of 45-degrees to the floor.
- Be in this posture for 5 seconds or so.
- Now, bring the legs to the initial position.
- Twist the upper body in the reverse direction and repeat the move for the other leg.
- Repeat the move for each side 6 times or so.
[ Read: Lower Back Pain Exercises ]
8. Inner Thigh Tightener
This exercise helps tighten the muscles in your thighs.
- You need to sit on the floor with an exercise ball before you. Keep both knees bent a little, and press the arches of the feet into the sides of the exercise ball.
- Ensure the spine is relaxed and squeeze your feet hard against the exercise ball.
- Count till 20 and release your legs. Do this workout thrice.
These simple exercises may be done any time of the day, and will reap great benefits. Try them today! Also, tell us how this post has helped you. You can comment in the box below!
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises You Can Try
- 4 Unusual Foam Roller Exercises For Your Neck That Work
- 5 Best Anti Aging Facial Exercises
- 10 Fun And Easy Exercises To Do At Home
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015