Curly hair has its hassles. Most of my curly haired friends complain about how unmanageable their hair is. You try to clip it down – the clip doesn’t stay on. Most hairstyles are not even meant to be done on curly hair! But on its good days, you can’t deny that you love your curls.
More often than not, we women underestimate the power and capacity of our hair. We search day in and day out for the perfect hair accessory, only to miss one that’s been right in our face the entire time. Yes! I’m talking about bangs.
Curls and bangs look amazing together. So, we give you the best 20 curly hair with bangs hairstyles. But before that, here are a few tips:
How To Decide If You Want To Get Bangs?
- They take time and effort to style each morning.
- Need to be trimmed every 2-3 weeks
- Start with shaggy bangs if you’re unsure
- Aware of your hair texture
- Blunt bangs are high maintenance
- Wash the bangs regularly
Different Types Of Bangs
These are thick front bangs that are cut in one length. These bangs look the best on oval and oblong faces. The best length for these bangs is about eyebrow length.
These are bangs that vary in length. If you have front bangs, then they may be short at the center and gradually increase in length on the sides. They can also be choppy, like a mix of short and long.
Side-swept bangs are bangs that are swept from one side to the other side. They look amazing with short curly hair. If you are considering a pixie haircut, then try this hairstyle.
The side parting always takes weight from the side. If you have a round face or a heart-shaped face, then this is the style for you.
These are bangs that loosely drop to the sides. They help in making the face appear slim. If you have a round face, then these are a good option for you.
While not many women go for curly bangs, they are incredible and the best way to show off curls. Curly bangs take the focus away from your face. If you have a broad forehead, or a round face, then consider these bangs. The coils make your face look slim and conceal the length of your forehead. These bangs look great on square faces as well.
How To Maintain Your Bangs
- Having curly bangs means having to be climate prepared.
- Use a tried and tested shampoo and conditioner that you know works well for you. Don’t change shampoos in between. You can check with a hairstylist on which shampoo and conditioner to use.
- Trim your bangs regularly.
- Watch your bangs when you moisturize your face. Make sure you don’t get any cream on your hair. The ingredients you use to moisturize your face might not be suitable for your hair.
How To Pick The Best Bangs For Curly Hair
The best way to decide what bangs you need is to see if they work with your face shape. If you aren’t sure what your face shape is, then here are a few pointers.
How To Measure Your Face
The first step towards selecting the right hairstyle is knowing your face shape. To know your face shape, measure the width of your jawline, cheeks, and forehead.
- Using a scale, first check the width of your forehead. Find the widest point of your forehead. For most people, it should be in the middle of the hairline and eyebrows.
- Then, check the width of your cheeks. It’s an ear to ear measurement beginning and ending at the points where your ears touch your face. That should be the widest dimension of your cheeks.
- Next, measure the widest points of your jawline.
- Finally, take the longitudinal measurement of your face, beginning at your hairline and ending at the tip of your chin.
A square face is one where the jawline is square rather pointy or angular. If you have a square face, then keep your bangs straight and just below the eyebrows. Straight bangs, feathered in the center, create an even look and keep your face not too accentuated. You can also try heavy bangs that are eyebrow grazing in length.
You need to take away from the width of your face to give it a slimmer look. Focus on accentuating your features.
If you have a round face, then go for an arching straight full fringe just below the eyebrows to balance the softness of your facial structure. Deep side bangs also work. Tapering bangs with a slight parting at the center also look good on round faces.
Heart Shaped Face
A heart-shaped face is the widest at the forehead and gradually narrows down to the chin.
Side-swept bangs tapering on the same sides look amazing on heart-shaped faces. Consider feathered shaggy bangs as well. Wispy bangs look incredible on heart-shaped faces.
An oval face is angular at the jawline. If you have a pointed jawline, then you have a diamond face. The thing about an oval face is that all fringes look great on it. So, take your pick!
It also depends on whether you have a high or short forehead. The way to check that is to see if your forehead is smaller than or bigger than your nose.
If you have a long face, then short bangs are a no-no as they will enhance your forehead. Try long bangs that are either full center or side-swept, and we promise it will look amazing.
If you have a short forehead, then consider a sloped fringe that is longer on one side. It’s a deep side-swept fringe that makes your forehead appear larger than it is.
If you have a high forehead, then full side-swept bangs is the way to go. Let the bangs be near the eyebrow and taper as they reach the sides of your face.
How To Cut Your Bangs
Things To Keep In Mind
- Curly hair should never be cut wet.
- Re-wet the hair to let it dry.
- Do not stretch your hair
Things You Will Need
- A rat tail comb
- A pair of scissors
- Clips and Elastic bands
For Straight Bangs
If you want a full center bang, take the front portion of your hair, using a rat tail comb, in the shape of a triangle and cut it evenly. If you want your fringe tapered, then cut it just below your eyebrows and keep making it long as it reaches your ears.
For Straight Side Bangs
The way to take the side parting right is to make sure it’s aligned with your eyebrow. That way when you cut your hair, it’s appropriately cut and not messy and all over the place. Once you’ve made the parting, begin cutting the rest of the fringes a little longer, giving it a tapered look.
For Curly Bangs
Part off the section of hair that you will use to make your bangs and let it fall on your face. Clip off the rest of your hair. Comb the hair, making sure to remove any tangles. Keeping your eye as the reference, cut your hair upwards and outwards. You won’t be able to cut your hair altogether so use the part that you cut as a reference for the rest.
20 Most Incredible Curly Hairstyles With Bangs
1. Straight Side Bangs With Curls
Straight side bangs look amazing with full curly hair. They add a soft touch to the face. If you have a square face, then these bangs will bring an angular look to your face.
2. Front Bangs With Big Curls
Multi-colored curly hair with a full frontal fringe. If you like edgy, then this is for you! Front fringes also hide a broad forehead.
3. Thin Curly Mohawk
This Mohawk hairdo is very cool. The front tuft of the Mohawk acts as front bangs. The thin curly bangs draw attention to the eyes. If you have an oval, diamond or long face, then this hairstyle can work wonders for you.
4. Frizzy Long Hair With Feathered Bangs
Frizzy hair looks amazing. The eye grazing bangs make the face look elongated. If you have a square or chubby round face, this hairstyle will make your face appear slimmer at the jawline and long. But frizzy hair is a big no-no for heart-shaped faces.
5. Side-swept Wavy Bangs
The side-swept wave looks impressive on short full wavy hair. Curly layers add dimension to the face and bring the attention to your facial features. This hairstyle will look good on all face shapes due to the layers.
6. Phone Cable Bangs
Full thin curly hair with short, thin bangs is stunning. If you have a square or rectangular face, then whole curls will slim down your face and give it a soft round appearance.
7. Messy Waves With Side Bangs
Messy hair is in! Middle partings look great on triangle, oval, and diamond face shapes. The waves along with the straight side-swept bangs get the focus on your facial features.
8. Thick Feathered Bangs
Bangs just below the eyebrows are a great way to frame your face. And those curls look incredible! The pink highlights at the bottom accentuate the waves even more.
9. Curls At The End
This curly hairdo is beautiful! The soft curls at the end add dimension to the face, giving your jawline a slimmer look.
10. Short Blunt Bangs With Curly Hair
If you have an oval shaped face, then try short blunt bangs. The voluminous curls make your face appear slim and long.
11. Full Curls With Curly Bangs
Big full ringlets of curls soften the face, drawing attention to features like the eyes or cheekbones. The dark highlights help frame the face nicely.
12. Curls With A Halfway Fringe
Messy curls look gorgeous. Pair them with center bangs, and you’ve got a killer hairstyle. Bangs that come only till about halfway of your forehead won’t look good on all face shapes. If you have a round face, then stay away from this. Oval faces can pull these bangs off easily. The subtle lowlights bring the attention to her facial features.
13. Curly Lob
Curls add texture to a lob. A lob is a long bob. Supple waves add volume to the bob and make your face look slender. Add drama to your look by flaunting a few highlights.
14. Big Side Curls
Big curly side bangs look incredible! They soften the face. So if you have a square, rectangular face, then consider this hairdo.
15. Messy Short Curls
Messy and short curly hair automatically gives off a voluminous look. But if you have a heart-shaped or round face, then brush your bangs up and allow them to fall to the side. This will make your face look long.
16. Rain Curls
Slight side bangs look great on thin curly hair. Since the curls are thin, the bangs add a more voluminous feel to the hair. This looks requires a good amount of mousse.
17. Waves To Curls
Big soft waves that lead to curls look so elegant. This hairstyle is beautiful! Perfect for any event! The soft waves and curls add height, which makes the jawline look angular and slimmer than before.
18. Afro Kinky Curls
Kinky hair! For a long time, a lot of African women were shying away from flaunting their incredible natural curls! But not anymore! It’s lovely to see those kinky curls flaunted!
19. Colored Bangs
Colored curls! While a lot of women love to color their hair, they don’t color their bangs. Coloring your bangs can help with enhancing your facial features.
20. Curled-in Hair
The best length for front and center bangs are near/at eyebrow length. Bangs that are just below or above the eyes work well with round faces. If you have a long face, then try this hairstyle. It will make your face look smaller.
Maintenance For Curly Hair
Curly hair needs more moisture. Your body secretes a natural oil from the scalp to help moisturize your hair. For straight hair, it is easy for the oil to spread all over the strands. But it’s not the same for curly hair. Due to the shape of the coils, the ends of the hair don’t get enough oil. The same goes for when you condition your hair.
- Stop using heat styling methods. Heat will damage your hair. Also, if you keep straightening your hair, you will lose your curls eventually.
- Use leave-in conditioner from time to time. Organic leave-in conditioners moisturize the hair and keep it protected.
- When cutting your hair, don’t keep it wet, cut it dry and natural. Don’t stretch your curls too much.
- Apply gel on your hair if you have thick curly hair. The gel will spread better on your curls than a mousse.
- Try curling your hair without heat. While using rollers, apply a curl defining or curl enhancing cream. They also act as a leave-in conditioner. Coat your hair thoroughly but apply a thin sheet of cream.
- If you decide to style your hair using heat methods, then use heat protectants. Spray a good amount of heat protectant on your hair before you style it.
- While using a towel, do not rub it across your hair. This leads to hair breakage. Pat dry your hair. Use microfiber or cotton towels preferably.
- When blow drying your hair, use a diffuser. It spreads the hot air evenly through your head.
Now that you know how to take care of your curls and bangs, go flaunt them without fear! Curls and bangs need constant tender love and care. If you provide that, you won’t be sorry! Try out these 20 styles and let us know which ones worked best for you.