Everyone wants soft lips, and they do not come easy, considering the harsh environmental conditions that we live in. Proper lip care is essential all year round. Most of us pay utmost attention to the products we use on our face, legs, and hands, and yet, give little importance to the lip balm we use. It’s best to steer clear from commercial brands that supposedly “heal” your lips. Instead, opt for medicated alternatives that indeed treat and nourish your lips.
Here’s a comprehensive list of affordable lip care products that you can purchase from your local drugstore, and they’re all under $10!
Best Drugstore Lip Balms
- Aquaphor Immediate Relief Lip Repair Lip Balm
- Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1
- Carmex Classic Lip Balm Original Stick
- Sephora Collection Super Nourishing Lip Balm
- Smith’s Minted Rose Lip Balm
- Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Balm
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm
- Hempz Herbal Ultra Moisturizing Lip Balm
- Blistex Medicated Lip Balm
- Kiss My Face Sports Sunscreen Lip Balm
- EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm
- Chapstick Classic Medicated Lip Balm
- Vaseline Lip Therapy, Rose
- Nivea Moisture Essential Lip Care
1. Aquaphor Immediate Relief Lip Repair Lip Balm
Aquaphor Lip Repair immediately relieves dryness and soothes chapped, cracked lips. It provides adequate, long-lasting moisture, so lips look and feel healthier. It’s formulated with nourishing Vitamins, shea butter, and soothing chamomile essence.
- Free from preservatives and fragrance.
- Seals in moisture.
- Relieves dryness and soothes cracked or chapped lips.
- Works well for sensitive lips.
- Contains nourishing vitamins and natural ingredients.
- Needs to be reapplied every 3-4 hours.
- Aquaphor Immediate Relief has no SPF (the brand has other options that do contain SPF).
Aquaphor Immediate Relief Lip Repair Lip Balm Review
This is perhaps one of the most popular drugstore lip balms out there, and it claims to be the #1 dermatologist recommended lip care brand. It comes in a tube, and its consistency is similar to a gel-like fluid that is neither too thick nor too runny. It goes on the lips smoothly, and you can instantly feel your painfully cracked lips calm down. It does not feel sticky, like how Vaseline petroleum jelly does. This one is a definite elixir for anyone facing issues with dry, chapped lips.
2. Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm
These must-have lip balms by Burt’s Bees have been playing in purses and pockets since 1991. The beeswax in this product conditions skin while Vitamin E acts as a moisturizing antioxidant. It also consists peppermint oil, which gives you its one-of-a-kind refreshing tingle.
- 100% natural and organic.
- Heals cracked, dry lips.
- Contains the goodness of beeswax, vitamin E, and peppermint oil.
- Convenient to use.
- It keeps your lips moisturized for long and you needn’t reapply it frequently.
- Some of you may not like its smell.
- No SPF.
Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm Review
This lip balm comes in different packs – a stick, a tin, and a squeezy tube, so you can pick one that you prefer. Coming to the lip balm, it’s an excellent choice for someone who wants to stick to natural ingredients. Its consistency is not very thick, and it provides a great amount of hydration even to extremely dry and problematic lips. You can also use this as a night treatment and wake up to healthy, supple lips. This one’s highly recommended even if you have super sensitive lips.
3. Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1
This lip balm by Kiehl’s temporarily protects and helps relieve chapped lips. It also helps to protect your lips from the drying effects of wind and the cold weather. It’s formulated with soothing emollients like squalene, wheat germ oil, vitamin E, and lanolin.
- Soothes and nourishes dry lips instantly.
- Glides smoothly on lips without making them greasy.
- Feels weightless.
- Contains moisturizing properties.
- No SPF.
- Needs to be reapplied at regular intervals if you have a case of extremely dry lips.
Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 Review
This lip balm comes in a squeeze tube packaging, and it’s convenient to use. Its consistence is gel-like and is similar to that of petroleum jelly. However, it does not feel heavy or too sticky when applied and gets absorbed into your lips. For best results, apply this balm liberally, and allow the excess product to get absorbed to provide proper nourishment. This works beautifully as a night-treatment – just slather it on liberally and wake up to smooth, soft lips.
4. Carmex Classic Lip Balm Original Stick
Carmex lip balm provides a long-lasting protective barrier to help heal your lips. It glides on smoothly to hydrate lips with the moisturizing properties of cocoa butter. The camphor and menthol in it cool and soothe lips. It comes with SPF 15 for added protection against the sun’s harmful rays.
- Provides intense moisture and hydration.
- You will notice visible improvement in the overall condition of your lips.
- Suitable for extremely dry and sensitive lips.
- Medicated treatment.
- It tends to feel slightly heavy.
- When used under lipstick, it dramatically reduces the staying power of the lipstick.
Carmex Classic Lip Balm Original Stick Review
Carmex is sold in different packs – a stick, a squeezable tube, and a jar, so you can opt for the kind of packaging you prefer most. It’s one of the most popular drugstore lip balms and has been in the market for more than seven decades. This one is the original stick that is super convenient to use and apply. The texture of the product is balmy and smooth, so it does not feel sticky after application. However, it’s incredibly moisturizing and may feel a little heavy after a while. This is the best medicated lip balm for those who are looking to treat their lips and want long-term results.
5. Sephora Collection Super Nourishing Lip Balm
This hydrating balm moisturizes and nourishes your lips, keeping them soft and comfortable. It contains the goodness of shea butter, beeswax, grapeseed oil, vitamin E, and meadowfoam seed oil.
- Free from parabens, phthalates, and sulfates.
- Smells nice.
- Dermatologist tested.
- Moisturizes lips well.
- Full ingredient list is not mentioned.
- Needs to be reapplied every couple of hours.
- Mildly scented.
Sephora Collection Super Nourishing Lip Balm Review
This Sephora lip balm comes in a sleek stick packaging. The tip of the bullet of the lip balm is slanted, which makes it easier to apply. The stick is white in color, and it contains shea and almond oil. The balm gets absorbed fast and starts its work, instead of sitting on top of the lips and drying out. It makes your lips appear slightly plumper and leaves a healthy sheen over them.
6. Smith’s Minted Rose Lip Balm
This cult-favorite lip balm calms and heals irritation, and soothes the sting of minor burns. It’s an easy-to-use and versatile product that you can dab on chapped lips, elbows or even knees to condition and relieve dryness.
- Effectively treats dry, chapped and irritated lips.
- Multi-purpose balm.
- Smells sweet.
- Suitable for sensitive lips.
- Tin packaging gets greasy, which makes it hard to open.
- If you leave it inside your bag on a hot day, the product will melt and create a mess.
- Needs to be reapplied at regular intervals.
Smith’s Minted Rose Lip Balm Review
This lip balm looks gorgeous with the tinted rose color and attractive packaging. It’s often photographed in the celebrity “what’s-in-your-purse” features in fashion magazines. The texture of the balm is thin, and it gets easily absorbed into your lips, giving them a cooling effect. Although it looks very tinted in the can, it only leaves your lips with a subtle red tint. It is not travel-friendly as it melts in hot temperatures and leaks out of the tin – so, only use this at home. If you are someone with extremely chapped lips, this may not be a great choice for you.
7. Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Balm
This exclusive formula keeps your lips moisturized for a full 8 hours. It’s a clinically tested formula by Maybelline that comes with an SPF 20 to leave your lips feeling softer, more conditioned, and cared for. It’s clinical care for baby soft lips!
- Provides nourishment and moisture to your lips.
- Enriched with SPF 20.
- Soothes and calms lips.
- Affordable and easily available.
- Even and easy application.
- Does not feel heavy.
- Wears off easily.
- Slightly greasy.
Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Balm Review
We all have a soft spot for Maybelline’s cult-classic Baby Lips range. This lip balm comes in a cute roll-up, baby blue, twist packaging. It has a white bullet, and it looks like a clear balm with a mild citrus-like fragrance. It temporarily soothes and smoothens out dry lips, but does not completely cure a case of intensely chapped, flaky lips. It does make your lips appear healthier and imparts a clear glow. The balm is enriched with SPF 20, which is a plus!
8. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula is enriched with Vitamin E and gives you the added benefit of SPF 15. It helps prevent chapped, cracked, and windburned lips. The lip balm glides on smoothly, and makes it a perfect option for a year-round lip balm.
- Comes with SPF 15.
- Contains vitamin E.
- Cocoa butter fragrance.
- Does not sit on lips.
- Convenient twist-up stick.
- Nourishes and moisturizes dry lips well.
- It tends to feel waxy.
- Some of you may not like the fragrance.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm Review
This cocoa butter lip balm by Palmer’s comes in a simple and sleek twist-up stick packaging. It’s essential to wear a lip balm with SPF when you step out during the day, and this one’s a great choice as it contains SPF 15. It’s colorless, and it has the fragrance of Palmer’s signature cocoa butter smell. It does not feel light-weight due to its waxy texture. However, it protects your lips from further drying and dehydration. If you dislike lip balms with fragrances, then you may give this one a miss.
9. Hempz Herbal Ultra Moisturizing Lip Balm
Hempz Herbal Lip Balm is a vitamin E based healer for chapped lips. It is enriched with cannabis sativa oil, which is a rich, lightweight emollient that locks in moisture and has a tropical fruit scent. It provides dramatic skin hydration and nourishment to give you healthy lips.
- Soothes and calms lips.
- Heals dry, chapped lips.
- Smells nice.
- Long lasting.
- Contains antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and E to protect skin against environmental stress and free radical damage.
- Can get a little greasy.
- Needs to be reapplied at regular intervals.
Hempz Herbal Ultra Moisturizing Lip Balm Review
This lip balm comes in a tube packaging, making it is easy and convenient to use. Its consistency is similar to that of a Carmex lip balm – neither too thick nor too runny. It works well even in winters, which is an added plus. A teeny bit goes a long way, so this tube will last you for a good while. It also gives your lips a nice, subtle sheen that lasts for hours.
10. Blistex Medicated Lip Balm
Blistex Medicated Lip Balm prevents dryness and chapping. Its glide formula also soothes irritated lips. It has three long-lasting protectants, and it seals in moisture to prevent drying of your lip tissue. The lip balm also offers SPF 15.
- Contains the goodness of beeswax.
- Heals cracks and restores moisture.
- A medicated product that also works well for cold sores.
- Contains SPF 15.
- Works on extremely dry lips as well.
- Can feel slightly heavy on lips.
- Side effects can cause allergic reactions.
Blistex Medicated Lip Balm Review
If you are someone who suffers from cold sores, this will be your holy grail as it helps treat those nasty sores. It comes in a sleek stick packaging, and is easy to apply. It also comes in different flavors so you can pick one as per your preference. Its texture is neither too thick nor too runny. If you have very dry lips, you need to keep reapplying it from time to time as it gets absorbed into your lips quite fast. The added benefit of SPF 15 is a big plus in this medicated lip balm.
11. Kiss My Face Sports Sunscreen Lip Balm
Kiss My Face treatment SPF 30 is designed for active adults and children. The long-lasting lip balm soothes chapped lips with its natural and organic ingredients such as natural beeswax, vitamin E, coconut oil, and shea butter.
- Contains SPF 30 that protects against harmful UV rays.
- Contains natural and organic ingredients to nourish lips.
- Needs to be reapplied every few hours.
Kiss My Face Sports Sunscreen Lip Balm Review
Kiss My Face Sport lip balm is a great choice to wear outdoors on a bright sunny day or if you’re going for a swim. It’s water-resistant and offers protection against sun damage – so this is a safe bet. It has some great ingredients like beeswax, coconut oil, vitamin E, and shea butter – all of which are known for their beneficial properties. It does help in preventing further pigmentation and drying of lips. Use it as a daytime lip treatment if you stay outdoors a lot.
12. EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm
Give your lips a healthy boost with EOS’s all-natural, antioxidant-rich lip balm that is filled with refreshing and natural flavors. Packed with vitamin E, soothing shea butter and jojoba oil, this lip balm keeps your lips moist, soft, and sensationally smooth.
- Comes in different flavors.
- Fruity scent.
- Thick and moisturizing texture.
- Suitable for wearing under matte lipsticks.
- Cute packaging.
- If you have extremely dry and chapped lips, this will not be of much help as it only provides basic nourishment to the lips.
- Needs to be reapplied at regular intervals as its effect tends to wear off.
EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm Review
This lip balm by EOS gained popularity owing to its super cute egg-shaped sphere packaging. It adds moisture to the lips with its semi-thick texture without making your lips appear shiny or glossy. Every flavor has its own fragrance, so if you like fragrance-free lip balms, you will not like these sweet-smelling balms. It stays on the lips for a couple of hours, and then you will need to go in for another application. If you’re looking for a basic lip balm, this may work for you, but this one’s more about the “cute” factor rather than substantially improving your lips.
13. Chapstick Classic Medicated Lip Balm
The Chapstick Medicated Lip Balm soothes pain and seals in moisture with a light, protective barrier to help heal severely dry and chapped lips. Some days, it takes just a little more to get your lips looking and feeling their healthy best.
- Medicated lip balm.
- Moisturizes and nourishes extremely dry lips.
- Treats cold sores, blisters, and sore lips.
- Contains camphor, cooling menthol, and phenol to relieve you from pain.
- No SPF.
- Needs to be reapplied for a lasting effect.
Chapstick Classic Medicated Lip Balm Review
If you are looking for an intensive lip therapy to treat painful issues like cold sores and super chapped lips, this one’s a winner. It gives you temporary relief from fever blisters and cold sores, and helps prevent and protect the drying effects of wind and harmful weather conditions. The formula is smooth and feels great on the lips. It gives your lips a relieving tingly sensation owing to the camphor and menthol. It can be used by children as well, which is a big plus.
14. Vaseline Lip Therapy, Rose
The Vaseline Lip Therapy, Rose relieves dry, dull, and cracked lips, while locking in moisture to help your lips heal. It instantly softens and soothes dry lips and leaves a sheer pink tint. It also has a light rose fragrance and is made with pure Vaseline petroleum jelly.
- Moisturizes and nourishes dry lips.
- Sweet fragrance.
- Easily available.
- True to its claims.
- Absorbs into your lips and locks in moisture.
- Needs to be reapplied every two-three hours.
- No SPF.
Vaseline Lip Therapy (Rose) Review
Nobody can go wrong with Vaseline. This one comes in a plastic semi-transparent jar, and has a subtle rosy tint to it, which makes your lips appear a lot healthier. It provides moisture and nourishment, and helps improve the overall health of your lips. It does heal chapped lips, and if used over a period, you will see visible improvement in your lips.
15. Nivea Moisture Essential Lip Care
The Nivea Moisture Essential Lip Care is a rich formula for long-lasting moisturization. It protects your lips from dryness with ingredients like beeswax and shea butter. It leaves your lips feeling soft and looking smooth.
- Moisturizes and hydrates dull, dry lips.
- Contains Natural ingredients like shea butter and jojoba oil.
- Easy application.
- Lasts forever.
- Dermatologist tested.
- No artificial colors added.
- No SPF
- Can leave a whitish tint on your lips if you go overboard with the application.
Nivea Moisture Essential Lip Care Review
This lip balm by Nivea comes in a convenient twist-up stick packaging. The balm is white and it has a creamy texture that glides onto your lips rather easily. It’s fragrance-free and feels very light on the lips. This lip balm acts as a great moisturizing barrier and can be used to prep your lips before you go in with lipstick. You can also use this as a night treatment for your lips. The stick will last you forever and is super affordable!
*(Prices may vary)
*Subject to Availability
So, do yourself a favor, ladies, and never skip the lip balm. Also, your lipstick will look a million times better when applied to a smooth base. These were 15 of the best drugstore lip balms that we’ve tried, and if you’re opting for the drugstore route to fix your lips or want to find a budget-friendly option, you can go in for one of these babies. Do you have a favorite lip balm that you can’t seem to get enough of? Do share the name with us in the comments.
- Top 13 Home Remedies To Make Your Lips Soft And Pink
- Top 20 Lip Balms That You Should Try If You Have Dark Lips!
- 10 Most Popular Tinted Lip Balms in India
- Top 10 Herbal Lip Balms for Indian Women
Latest posts by eshasaxena (see all)
- Rimmel Lasting Finish By Kate Moss Lipstick Review - March 23, 2018
- Lakme Enrich Matte Lipstick Review - March 12, 2018
- 25 Most Famous Short Female Celebrities - March 12, 2018
- Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lip Color Review - March 6, 2018
- Maybelline Color Show Matte Lipstick Review - February 28, 2018