Have you been falling excessively sick off late? Do you puke often and find rashes developing all over your limbs? There are chances you could be afflicted with Chikungunya. Chikungunya is a viral disease and is transmitted mostly through mosquito bites. The condition is however not fatal and can remedied with the help of a good treatment.
However, there are certain foods you can eat in order to counter Chikungunya. Want to know more about the disease and the diet for chikungunya? Read the post!
Symptoms Of Chikungunya:
Chikungunya is quite similar to dengue fever and is hardly life threatening. Its symptoms last for 3 to 7 days and can be treated by following a proper diet and daily consuming medications prescribed by the doctor. Here are its symptoms:
- Rashes, fever, cthills, headache, nauseous feeling etc. Rashes tend to be very intense around the limbs and trunk (1).
- The joints become swollen and are often painful to touch. This can result in meningoencephalitis (2).
- Residual arthritis which is basically swelling, stiffness and pain that could take months to recover (3).
[ Read: Home Remedies To Treat Chikungunya ]
Diet For Chikungunya:
What you eat plays a major role in combating any disease, and it’s the same in the case of Chikungunya as well! Just go ahead by including the following foods in your diet, and see yourself getting back to your best health!
1. Leafy Veggies:
Leafy vegetables are one of the best foods on the planet. They are easy to digest and are very low in calories. They are rich in Vitamin A which protects your body from cancer and ensures bone growth. Leafy veggies also contain Vitamin C which prevents the building up of free radicals and protects your body from arthritis (4). It restores your health and promises to keep you away from life threatening diseases like Chikungunya.
Make sure to include leafy vegetables in your diet. This not only helps you combat Chikungunya, but builds your overall health as
2. Apples And Plantains:
While trying to recover from Chikungunya, it is advisable to keep away from citrus fruits such as watermelons and oranges. Stick to apples and plantains instead. Apples are full of fiber which cleanses your digestive tract and ensures lower levels of cholesterol. Plantains also contain fiber which prevent constipation and keep the intestines clean (5).
3. Foods Rich In Vitamins C And E:
Vitamin C helps in healing wounds, allows the formation of muscles, bones, tendons and other blood vessels. Vitamin E promotes good health, flawless skin and prevents cancers, heart attacks, Parkinson’s disease and rheumatoid arthritis (6). A few examples of foods containing vitamins C and E are guavas, yellow bell peppers, kiwis, broccolis, strawberries, tomatoes, peas etc. For Vitamin E you should eat more berries, nuts, tropical fruits, wheat, oils and broccoli.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Treat Malaria ]
4. Liquid Based Foods:
Liquid based foods are excellent for recovering from Chikungunya. This category contains mostly soups, dals and gravies. Soups should usually be made of beans, lean meat or fish which should give your body the necessary protein intake. Try tomato soup since it contains antioxidants such as lycopene that reduces the symptoms of prostate cancer (7).
5. More Omega 3 Fatty Acids:
Omega 3 fatty acids can be consumed through food as well as supplements, but it is advisable to stick to organic foods in this case. It reduces blood clots, allows the brain to function properly, boosts memory, reduces chances of stroke and also the symptoms of arthritis(8).
This is all about chikungunya food. Have you heard of Chikungunya? Do you know someone who has been afflicted with this condition? Do tell them about this post. Your support can save plenty of lives! And share how this post helped you, by commenting in the box below!
- 9 Best Foods To Treat Edema
- 10 Best Foods To Treat Skin Problems
- 6 Best Diets To Treat Kidney Infection
- Is This The Ideal Vegetarian Diet To Treat Diabetes?
Latest posts by Naomi (see all)
- The Ultimate Guide To Merkaba Meditation - September 14, 2015
- 8 Energizing Foods To Eat After A Morning Run - September 11, 2015
- 6 Fascinating Health Benefits Of Quercetin - September 7, 2015
- 6 Surprising Ways Salmon Can Benefit Your Health - September 2, 2015
- 7 Remarkable Ways Tapioca Can Benefit You - August 26, 2015