Are your stained teeth a reason for your embarrassment in public? Do you often shy away from friends, so that they do not see your teeth that look old and molten? Apart from healthy hair and glowing skin, white shiny teeth are associated with beauty and smartness, both in men and women.
And if you are wondering how you can whiten your teeth right at your home, then there is one way you can do it – using hydrogen peroxide.
Would you like to know more? Read this post!
Popular Teeth Whitening Methods:
To make the teeth shining white, you can resort to the following methods:
- Using specialized toothpastes
- Using dental whitening strips
- Visiting the dentist
- Using DIY solutions like hydrogen peroxide
Teeth whitening products that contain about 5.9% of hydrogen peroxide are generally used by dentists (1). However, today there are DIY products that can be easily bought over the counter, even without a prescription. Whitening products that contain 0.1% hydrogen peroxide can not only be bought easily, but can also be used safely; even by non medicos (2).
Benefits Of Using Hydrogen Peroxide To Whiten Teeth:
The main benefit of using hydrogen peroxide for teeth stain removal is that it is effective and does not cost you much.
[ Read: Home Remedies For Removal of Tartar ]
You can find bottles of this solution in any drugstore all throughout the year.
You may not be aware of it, but hydrogen peroxide can also help improve your oral health apart from removing the ugly stains on your teeth. Granted, it is not as powerful an antiseptic as chloride or alcohol, but its oxidative properties are potent. It can therefore benefit those afflicted with oral ailments like gingivitis and bleeding gums. An NIH study showed that H2O2 prevents plaque and bacteria build-up in the mouth when used as a mouthwash. It may also help you counter bad breath.
Nuances Of Hydrogen Peroxide You Should Know For Teeth Whitening:
Hydrogen Peroxide has been used by humans since ages as an effective antiseptic or disinfectant agent. It has been used to heal small wounds. It is actually close to water as far as chemical composition is concerned. Hydrogen Peroxide contains an additional oxygen molecule compared to water. It is hard to keep Hydrogen Peroxide stable for long, and it degenerates into water over time.
While it can be used as a DIY teeth whitening agent, Hydrogen Peroxide is also found in a number of commercial teeth whitening products nowadays. It is what a lot of cosmetic dentists also use for their patients.
Tips To Make Hydrogen Peroxide Work Properly:
While using Hydrogen Peroxide solution to remove stains and dullness from teeth can work, you need to know the ways to get the desired results. The American Dental Association says that a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution is safe for humans for teeth bleaching. However, some OTC solutions with this compound have higher levels, and they may be potentially unsafe for you.
The solution is mostly sold in brown bottles. It is important to read through the instruction booklet to be aware of how to use hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth at home (3).
You also need to ensure that the Hydrogen Peroxide solution you use is stabilized. Stabilized solution works better on stained teeth, as it is.
You can, of course, refrigerate Hydrogen Peroxide solution right after you buy it. This will help it stay stabilized for a long time, and you will get better results. Always remember to keep the Hydrogen Peroxide solution from sunlight at all times.
How To Whiten Teeth With Hydrogen Peroxide:
1. Use As A Mouthwash:
You may use the Hydrogen peroxide solution as a mouthwash. You may take a small amount of the solution with 3% concentration and swish it in your mouth for some time. Then you should spit it out. Do not digest it. This can be done thrice a week or so.
Also, wash the mouth with plain water and brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
2. Use With Cotton Swab:
You may not like the experience of swishing the Hydrogen Peroxide solution in the mouth, and so, we have an alternative method. You will need to use a clean cotton swab. Take one clean cotton swab and dip it in the peroxide solution. Thereafter, rub the swab against your teeth. Note that this method can be less effective in removing teeth stains.
3. Use With Baking Soda:
You may mix baking soda with some Hydrogen Peroxide solution to form a paste. This paste can be used to brush stained teeth. You may even mix this paste with your regular toothpaste for enhancing the flavor a bit.
As an alternative, you may add a small amount of peppermint extract. Now, brush the teeth with this mixed paste for a couple of minutes or so. Let this paste stay on the teeth for a few minutes. Then rinse off your mouth with clean water. This paste, however, should be used in moderation – maybe twice a week.
After you find visible results and your teeth turn whiter, you should discontinue using Hydrogen Peroxide for some time. It is, after all, not a part of your daily oral care regimen!
[ Read: Simple Ways To Whiten Teeth ]
Cautions To Take When You Use Hydrogen Peroxide For Teeth Stain Removal:
While Hydrogen Peroxide solution has the approval of the ADA and top dentists also recommend it for teeth stain removal, you need to proceed with caution.
- People with sensitive teeth, bleeding gums and existing teeth ailments should not use this solution at random. These people should consult with a dentist before trying this solution for teeth whitening at home, to be on the safer side.
- While applying to teeth, make sure the Hydrogen Peroxide solution does not get splashed on your clothes. It has the bleaching power to fade fabric colors.
- While using Hydrogen Peroxide solution can cause temporary gum irritation or tooth sensitivity, it is not severe and gets subsided soon.
- Ensure the intensity of hydrogen peroxide solution stays at the required level. A high-density solution can burn the gums or throat.
- Never swallow hydrogen peroxide solution, as it may interact with stomach acids.
- It is not advisable to use this compound to remove stains from children’s teeth.
- It may not be a good idea to use and combine hydrogen peroxide with OTC teeth whitening products. Doing so may result in enhanced gum irritation and erosion of the teeth enamel.
Let us know how this posted has helped you. Do comment in the box below!
- How To Whiten Teeth With Baking Soda And Lemon?
- 13 Simple Ways To Get White Teeth Overnight
- 25 Effective Home Remedies To Get White Teeth
- How To Use Cloves To Take Care Of Toothache
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015
- How Apple Cider Vinegar Cured My Sore Throat - August 14, 2015