Are you embarrassed by your bulging stomach? Don’t you wish there was a simpler way to reduce that extra flab and get those chiselled abs? Yoga has many uses and it keeps your mind sharp and your body fit. You can also tone your abs through yoga! And there are certain yoga exercises for that can help you achieve that!
Would you like to know how? Read on!
1. Cat Pose Or Bidalasana:
The Cat Pose has many benefits; it helps improve your flexibility, tones your legs, thighs, abs and even relieves you from back pain. Apart from all these therapeutic properties, performing this pose also boosts your energy levels.
To Perform The Bidalasana:
- Lower your legs and get onto your knees. Flatten your back until you end up on all fours.
- Take a deep breath and begin arching your back.
- Make sure that you don’t jerk your back.
- Rest and repeat the movement around 5-6 times.
Learn how to perform this asana from this video.
2. Plank Pose:
The plank pose has its roots in the plank routines. It is an effective exercise that targets your abdominal muscles. The exercise also boosts your energy levels.
To Perform The Plank Pose:
- Begin by getting into the push-up position.
- Your elbows should be right under your shoulders.
- Tighten and clench your abdomen, thigh and posterior muscles.
- Keep holding the pose for about 30 seconds.
- Rest and repeat.
Refer to this video and learn how to perform the Plank Pose.
3. Warrior Pose Or Virabhadrasana:
The Warrior Pose does exactly what it proclaims; tones your legs, calves, hip flexors and thigh muscles. It also helps tone your abs and chest muscles.
To Perform The Virabhadrasana:
- Start by keeping your right foot ahead and bend the knee.
- Turn your left foot so that it is positioned at 90 degrees to the right leg.
- Now keep your arms out in front of you with your palms facing downwards.
- Gaze straight ahead.
- Hold this pose for around 30-40 seconds.
- Rest and repeat (1).
4. Downward Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana):
Another great exercise for the abs, the Downward Dog Pose tones your thighs, legs and abs.
To Perform The Adho Mukha Svanasana:
- Begin by bending your knees and get down on your fours.
- Keep your hands on your knees.
- Keep your toes and begin raising your hips.
- Take your hips as high as you can. The soles don’t have to remain grounded and you can stretch a little more.
- Once you feel the stretch, hold this pose for 15-20 seconds (2).
5. Tadasana (Mountain Pose):
The mountain pose is probably the easiest pose to perform, contradicting its formidable name. To perform it, all you have to do is stand straight.
It has many health benefits including toning the entire body and helping trigger reproductive activity, which makes it great if you suffer from irregular periods or a loss of libido.
To Perform The Tadasana:
- Begin by standing straight with your feet slightly apart.
- Your sole should be in contact with the ground.
- Keep your hands by your side and gaze forward.
- Hold this pose for 15-20 seconds.
- Rest and repeat (3).
6. Cobra Pose Or Bhujangasana:
This pose has special benefits for the spine. It also tones your chest and abdominal muscles. The Cobra pose helps enhance breathing and is also a great pose for asthma and bronchitis patients.
To Perform The Bhujagasana:
- Begin by lying face down.
- Ensure that your legs remain straight.
- Now lift your chest, but make sure that your and hips don’t leave the ground.
- Arching your back, begin stretching as much as you can.
- At the apex, hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- Now, gently get back to the starting position.
- Rest and repeat (4)
7. Parsvottanasana (Pyramid Pose):
This is another great pose for toning your legs and abs. It also helps clear obstructed menses.
To Perform The Parsvottanasana:
- Begin by standing up and placing your right leg in front.
- It should be a foot away from your left leg.
- Begin folding your arms behind your back.
- Bend forwards.
- Keep bending until your chin touches your knee.
- Hold this pose for 10-20 seconds.
- Rest and repeat (5).
8. Child’s Pose Or Balasana:
The child’s pose or balasana helps calm the stomach and flexes your abdominal muscles. This pose is also great for recouping lost energy and is used to end yoga sessions.
To Perform The Balasana:
- Begin by getting into the kneeling position.
- Now tuck your chest towards your thighs.
- Begin bending forward and keep going until your forehead touches the ground.
- Remember that your arms should remain by your sides all the while.
- Remember to breathe deeply.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- Rest and repeat (6).
9. Happy Child’s Pose (Ananda Balasana):
The Happy Child’s Pose or Ananda Balasana, unlike Balasana, is a bit more difficult to perform, but is highly effective in treating digestive problems. It also tones your abdomen and thighs.
To Perform The Ananda Balasana:
- Lie down and extend your legs in the air above the stomach.
- Using your index fingers, grab onto your toes.
- You can bend your knees to hold your toes.
- Once you are holding your toes, begin taking them outwards and press them downwards.
Watch this video out and learn the Ananda Balasana.
10. Fish Pose (Matsyasana):
This is another great yoga routine for strengthening your abdominal muscles. This pose helps work most muscles in the belly and tones you abs.
To Perform The Matsyasana:
- Lie down on the floor with your knees bent.
- Your feet should also touch the floor.
- Now inhale and begin lifting your pelvis off the floor.
- At the same time, slide your hands below your buttocks.
- Rest your buttocks on the back of your hands (Don’t lift your buttocks while performing this pose).
- Remember to tuck your forearms and elbows to the sides of your torso.
- Press your forearms and elbows to the floor.
- Lift your upper torso and head off the floor.
- Hold the pose and lower your head back to the floor.
These asanas will help you get those killer abs, without having to sweat it out for long hours in the gym. So, what are you waiting for? Try these yoga poses and tell us about your progress. Leave a comment below.
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas For Strong Feet - September 1, 2015
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015