Have you ever wondered how going to a yoga retreat would be like? And especially in the magical landscape of the United Kingdom, going to a yoga retreat gives you an experience you can’t even imagine!
Yoga is an ancient Indian practice that has fast become the go-to meditative physical exercise system for most of us. Originated in 400 CE, Yoga, literally translates ‘to join’, ‘to add’ or ‘to unify’. There are many forms of Yoga practiced today. Hatha Yoga is the most popular form of yoga.
Over the years, yoga themed retreats and workshops have enjoyed a meteoric rise in stature and number. And if you are looking for some in the UK, then this post is the right one for you! Go ahead and give a read!
Let’s have a look at the 10 best Yoga Retreats UK offers for you:
1. Tilton House, East Sussex:
Tilton house looks impressive in the midst of the South Downs and fringed with woods. It was once owned by economist John Maynard Keynes and his ballerina wife Lydia Lopokova. It is an ideal venue for a yoga retreat.
Yoga teacher Sally parkes owns and operates many retreats across Europe. However, it’s the Yoga and Detox weekend retreat in Tilton House that takes the cake.
The programme includes meditation classes, pranayam (breathing techniques) and Pilates. You will also learn the principles of Yoga Nidra (‘yogic sleep’). You can choose additional therapy and treatments ranging from deep tissue therapy, reiki therapy, thai yoga massage, Indian head massage, Swedish massage to aromatherapy. The food served is vegetarian though and plenty of detox juices are offered.
Priced at slightly more than £325 for each person sharing a room, including meals and accommodation, the weekend retreat is quite affordable.
[ Read: Yoga Retreats In Ontario ]
2. Retallack Resort and Spa, Cornwall:
The stand up paddle boarding (SUP) and yoga retreat by Harlyn Surf School and Ride on Retreats, offers an enchanting reprieve from our run-of-the-mill routines. Located on the Cornwall coastline, in one of the most pristine beaches in the world, it has been described to be an “undiscovered gem”, by the Sunday Times. This special yoga retreat UK features stand up paddle boarding and yoga.
The program features:
- Daily SUP coaching
- Daily refreshing yoga sessions
- Free use of spa, sauna, and hot tub
- Daily breakfast and packed lunch
- 3 nights cozy accommodation
- 3 course dinner on first night
The daily SUP coaching and yoga sessions help you wind down and relax. The facilities ensure that you do relax and the serene atmosphere of Cornwall beach heightens the experience. So, let your hair down and enjoy the tranquillity. At £460 odd pounds for a single person, and £920 for couples, the four-day weekend is quite reasonably priced.
3. The Clover Mill, Worcestershire:
Julie Dent was a successful scientist who left her career to build an ayurvedic spa. She spent more than 4 years working tirelessly to bring her vision of an eco-friendly ayurvedic retreat to life. The retreat is built over a 17th-century water mill and looks every bit classy, yet relaxing at the same time. Julie offers custom made programs that include home-cooked organic food, ayurvedic treatments and daily yoga classes.
The program features:
- Personal dosha (body type) assessment
- Ayurvedic meals prepared with fresh vegetables
- Herbal teas and snacks
- Use of sauna relaxation areas and grounds
- Daily therapeutic ayurvedic treatments and yoga/meditation classes
- Ayurvedic talks
You get to bunk up in aesthetically built eco-lodges that feature under-floor heating. With natural alkaline water from the mill spring to drink and hot water provided by biomass boilers, the retreat offers a chance to calm your mind and heal your body. At £499 per person for two nights, including all meals, daily yoga classes and ayurvedic treatments, the holiday is quite affordable.
4. Reclaim Your Self, Tudor House, Suffolk:
The Summer Yoga weekend by Reclaim Your Self, is one of the top retreat choices for Yoga fiends. Located outside the village of Lavenham, this retreat offers an ideal location for the tranquil and calmness of Yoga to take shape.
The 3-day program by London based instructor Isaac Mullins offers you the chance to kick back and let your feet up. It features:
- 3 days of activities
- All meals and soft drinks
- 5 yoga classes
- Time to rest, relax and explore
- You can also opt for additional massage sessions at £35 an hour
The setting helps you be at peace, while teaching you some basics of yoga and making you relax at the same time. At £350 for a single shared bathroom village house to £550 for a large ensuite single room, the 3-day getaway is quite affordable.
5. Platinum Healing, Lincolnshire:
The 5 Days Weight Loss and Yoga Retreat detox program offered by Platinum Healing is one of the most popular retreats offered in the UK. It combines advanced clinical hypnotherapy, neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) and coaching to understand how your body gains excessive weight and treats the causes.
The program features:
- Morning yoga sessions
- Evening meditation, pranayama or workshops
- Private hypnotherapy sessions for weight, portion control, and addictions
- Detox food and beverages, formulas, and supplements
- Access to professional treatments and support
- Professional instruction on yoga, meditation
- 4 nights deluxe accommodation
The program is priced at £999 and includes private hypnotherapy, portion control, addiction sessions and luxury accommodations with all amenities. The retreat is located on a 5-star eco retreat, set in the middle of the scenic Lincolnshire Wolds. The close proximity to the national cycle route makes it a great base for cycling and walking.
6. The Raw Retreat, Cornwall:
Beverly Bird, founder of the Raw Retreat, is a nutritionist with a diploma in raw food. The Raw retreat at Cornwall offers an 8 day Detox and Yoga retreat. Cornwall is probably the most serene places you will ever visit. The coastline is breathtaking.
The program features:
- Personal yoga instruction sessions
- Live and dry blood analysis
- A detox program custom made for you
- Seaweed baths, massages, and treatments
- Daily broth and vegetable and fruit juices
- 7 nights luxury accommodation
- Daily healthy meals
You stay over at a concealed, self contained 2-storey that boasts of a Wi-Fi, an iPod docking station, digital flat-screen TV and a selection of inspirational and health care DVDs. You can switch off and on at any time. With the entire trip priced at around £1600, this is one of the best UK yoga retreats you can go for.
[ Read: Best Yoga Retreats In Europe ]
7. Jiva Healing, Poundon House, Oxfordshire:
Located in the spectacular Poundon house, this 3 Days, cooking, eating and Yoga retreat is one of the best in Britain. Rebecca Andrist and Melissa Kendall co-founded Jiva Healing and they are both qualified nutritionists and this particular yoga retreat will focus on the importance of relaxing, slowing down, cooking, nutrition and yoga, of course!
The program features:
- Morning yoga classes
- Meditation sessions
- Restorative yoga classes
- Daily nutrition and cookery classes
- 2 nights’ accommodation
- All food and drinks
The instructors will tell you about the benefits of relaxation, and you will learn how to be more creative and healthy in the kitchen. Daily workshops on the right food, cooking and sessions on yoga, along with food, juices and accommodation will help you realize the importance of eating and cooking right, and all activities are included in the package. With just an hour’s train-ride to Maryleybone Station, it is ideal for the busier ones who need to stay close to London, even on a vacation. At £290 for the entire retreat, it’s an affordable, yet wonderful option for Londoners.
8. Rina Golan-Rothwell, Hertfordshire:
The Rina Golan-Rothwell Winter Cleanse Retreat Program is set in the English countryside of Hertfordshire. Housed in a restored old house with most amenities, this destination is idyllic and serene.
Rina Golan-Rothwell was a TV presenter in Tel Aviv before she was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid and Type 1 diabetes. This shook her and she soon travelled to India and learnt Yoga at Sivananda Asram, Kerala only to come back stronger than ever. The Kundalini Yoga she practices help to increase strength and fortify the nervous system. An able instructor who has won many over with her poise and strength of will, you can be assured of learning from the best at this retreat.
The program features:
- Daily yoga sessions
- Breath work technique classes
- Guided meditations, walks, and treatments
- 2 nights’ accommodation in a beautiful old English house
- Nutrient-rich local organic food and juices
- Raw and cooked meals
So, beat the chill by signing up for this warming winter cleanse program that is designed to impart most information on healthy foods, super vitamins and minerals. The program also features daily yoga sessions, followed by walks and other treatments. Priced at around £265 for the program, this is one retreat that you can consider visiting.
9. Doug Swenson 200hr Yoga Teacher, Cornwall:
Doug Swenson is probably the biggest names in the Yoga instruction industry. A Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) with the Yoga alliance, he travels continuously. He has been studying Yoga for more than 45 years now and is a master practitioner. If you want to learn from the best then this is it. The YOGA Matrix Yoga Teacher Training Program will equip you to become a learned practitioner of Yoga.
This 200 hour session will help you learn the basics, founding principles and applications of Yoga.
The program will feature:
- Vinyasa/ Ashtanga/ Power/ Yin and Restorative yoga
- Observation, correction, demonstration and instruction
- Mixed styles and levels of yoga tradition
- External and internal tools for success
- Qualities of a yoga teacher and ethics
- Yoga as a successful business
- Tips for menstrual pains, pregnancy, and menopause
- Enhanced speaking – tone and wording affects
- Internal cleansing and body detoxification
- Weight loss and holistic fitness
- Therapeutic yoga – designed for specific issues
- Meditation, deep relaxation and stress management
- Philosophy and background of yoga
- Unique yoga Vinyasa (a moving meditation)
- Anatomy with yoga postures
- Subtle anatomy – inner conscience and the Chakras
- Patanjali’s yoga sutras and the world peace diet
- Karma yoga
- Body and earth ecology
The retreat offers a 26 nights’ accommodation provided at the Fistral beach hotel in Newquay, and a program from the master. The program is quite expensive at £4200, but it’s a small price to pay for a 26 day retreat. Moreover, the supplement hotel offers a meal option with an addition of £550.
10. So More Than Yoga Weekend, Farncombe Estate, Cotswolds:
Are you aware of the weekend yoga retreats UK offers for you? The 3-day rejuvenating yoga weekend conducted by Sarah Owen is another popular yoga retreat. Sarah Owen is an expert Iyengar yoga instructor. Her regime is designed to help you improve fitness and calm the mind and soul. Farncombe estate is a scenic destination and most rooms contain all amenities. Food is served in a buffet and meditation and pranayama sessions are held daily. Priced at £390 for the 3-day retreat, So More Than Yoga weekend is another option to consider.
These are some of the top 10 yoga and meditation retreats UK offers you can opt for to learn, practice, improve and even better your yoga. We hope that reading this has got you excited about yoga. After all, health is wealth, but sometimes you have to spend a bit of the latter to get to the former. Like and share this post with friends and family. If you know better yoga retreats in UK than the ones listed above, please leave a comment below.
- 10 Best Yoga Retreats In Ontario
- 10 Best Yoga Retreats In Europe
- 10 Best Yoga Retreats In BC/British Columbia
- 10 Most Popular Yoga Retreats In USA
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015
- Top 9 Foam Rollers For Runners - June 8, 2015