Ginger (Zingiber officinale), also known as adrak, is a spice that is enjoyed in many parts of the world. It is one of the essential plants used in Ayurvedic medicines. Ayurveda has also given ginger the status of a virtual medicine chest because of its digestion-friendly properties along with its numerous health benefits. Ginger is also a potent anti-flatulent spice.
The traditional Ayurvedic texts recommend using ginger for therapeutic use for motion sickness, joint pains, and many other issues because of its digestive and carminative effects.
Ayurveda suggests the consumption of ginger in a special form of dosage referred to as Satwa Kalpana, where satwa means extract or essence.
Among all the satwa kalpana, adrak satwa is one of the most well known and commonly used satwa formulations by traditional practitioners. But, making the original adrak satwa is a difficult, time-consuming, and laborious task. Pharmaceutical companies do not prepare them as the demand for such formulations is less and they are not profitable.
Ginger For Digestion Problems
Due to the hurdles in the availability of adrak satwa, we are sharing the recipe to prepare it. Make this herbal formulation at home and reap its benefits.
- 400-500 ml of water
- 400 grams of ginger (matured and non-infested)
- A measuring jar
- A knife
- A mortar and pestle
- A few vessels
- A cloth for filtration
How To Prepare
- Take a wet rhizome of ginger and wash it properly.
- Now, peel off the outer skin of the ginger.
- Cut it into smaller pieces and put the pieces in the mortar.
- Pound the ginger pieces well with the help of pestle until a fine paste is formed.
- Add an equal amount of water to the ginger paste and macerate it well.
- Now, take a clean piece of cloth and pour the fine paste on it.
- Squeeze the cloth so that the filtered paste is obtained. Collect it in a bowl.
- Keep the filtered liquid aside for some time so that the solid part i.e. the satwa settles down at the bottom.
- Now, gradually decant the solution in another vessel so that the white colored satwa, along with some green or brown colored tinges, is left at the bottom of the bowl.
- This amorphous remnant is then either air dried or shade dried.
- After a few days, you’ll notice that it forms plaques of starchy material, which can be collected in an airtight container and stored.
How To Consume It?
You can take it along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water.
- The adrak satwa is not prescribed for children under the age of 3. However, if the age of your child is between 3-8 years, you can give a dose of 50mg adrak satwa along with a teaspoon of honey to neutralize the taste.
- For children in the age group of 8-14 years, a 100mg dose of adrak satwa is advised.
- For people above 14 years, a dosage between 200mg to 400mg is advised.
Action Of Adrak Satwa On The Human Body
- It is carminative i.e. deepana in nature. Thus, it prevents bloating and accumulation of gas in the stomach.
- It promotes digestion i.e. pachana.
- It is antiflatulent i.e. vatanulomana.
- It is antispasmodic i.e. shoolaghna.
When Can You Take This?
You can consume adrak satwa if you are suffering from any of these:
1. Indigestion i.e. ajeerna
2. Abdominal distension i.e. adhmana
3. Severe headache i.e. shirashoola
4. Gaseous tumors i.e. gulma
5. Anorexia i.e. aruchi
Since the medicine is very effective, and you might experience a burning sensation in the stomach or while urinating, you must consume it only after consulting your physician.
Have you ever consumed ginger for digestion problems? How did it help you? Share your experiences with us by commenting below.
- Digestion Problem In Babies: Here’s How You Can Treat It Naturally
- Do You Feel Sleepy All The Time? Ayurveda Has The Reasons & Solutions For It
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Digestive Problems
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- 13 Common Signs You May Have Kidney Disease - November 29, 2016
- Have 3 Dates Every Day For 1 Week. This Is What Will Happen! - November 24, 2016
- 51 Surprising Uses Of Essential Oils That Will Blow Your Mind - November 23, 2016
- What Does Your Menstrual Cycle Say About Your Health - November 22, 2016
- Girls, Avoid These 4 Beauty Habits That Are Bad For Your Skin And Cause Wrinkles On Your Face - November 15, 2016