Cabbage soup as a Diet Buster – Bring it on!
In the present day scenario, with busy lives and hectic schedules, we all look for quick returns in all aspects and the same is applicable to a weight loss program. Considering the fact that our daily chores leave us with little time to devote to rigorous workouts and fitness regimes, the demand for short term diet plans has been increasing steadily.
What Is Cabbage Soup Diet?
- Cabbage soup diet is one such diet plan that has been designed to cause short term weight loss.
- As the name suggests, cabbage soup is the main component of this diet that covers a period of seven days.
- The diet promises to cause a weight loss of about 10 pounds i.e. 4.5 kg within a week. Thus, if you are looking to lose weight quickly for any upcoming special occasion, cabbage soup diet might be your answer.
How Does The Miracle Diet Work?
- The diet is based on the principles of consuming low sodium, low calories and high fiber that enable you to get into shape fast before you try a more moderate long term eating plan.
- This diet works by restricting the intake of calories and energy by the body, thus forcing it to use its backup energy source i.e. fat.
- Carbohydrates in the form of fruits and vegetables known as high glycemic carbs are included in this diet which will spike your blood sugar levels and then force them down very quickly.
- The cabbage soup diet dangerously restricts your caloric intake; it should not be continued beyond seven days.
The Cabbage Soup Diet Chart:
There are several versions of the cabbage soup diet plan that have been around for years. The cabbage soup diet is a strict chart regarding what to eat during the 7 day time period. Cabbage soup is the main item that is complemented with other foods to fulfil the nutritional requirements.
Day 1: Only Fruits
- On the first day, eat only fruits except bananas and have as much cabbage soup as you want.
- You can have apples for breakfast, cabbage soup and fruit salad for lunch, and cabbage soup and lemon salad for dinner.
- To curb hunger pangs, snack on fruits throughout the day including frozen berries, grapes and watermelon.
- For drinks, you can have black coffee, unsweetened tea, cranberry juice and water.
Day 2: Only Vegetables
- On this day, eat fresh raw or vegetables of your choice. You can eat as many vegetables as you want along with the soup, except dry beans, peas, sweet corn and other starchy vegetables.
- It is advisable to have green leafy vegetables.
- For dinner you can give yourself a treat of big baked potato with butter along with broccoli, tomatoes, cabbage etc. Do not eat fruits on this day.
Day 3: Fruits and Vegetables
- You can have as much fruits and vegetables except bananas, corn and other starchy vegetables.
- Have as much cabbage soup as you want but no baked potatoes.
Day 4: Bananas and Milk
- On this day, you can have only bananas and milk/yoghurt.
- You can eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you want along with your soup. This will curb your desire for sweets.
Day 5: Beef and Tomatoes
- On this day, you can have about 300-500 grams (10-20 ounces) of fresh beef and as many as six tomatoes.
- Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water to flush out uric acid from your body.
- If you do not like beef, you can have broiled or baked skinless chicken. You can also substitute broiled fish for beef but cannot have both.
Day 6: Beef and Vegetables
- This day is dedicated to protein and veggies. You can have all the vegetables except tomatoes.
- You can have as much beef and vegetables as you want. You can even have 2 -3 steaks along with leafy green vegetables.
- Try a salad seasoned with olive oil, spices and veggies. Have your soup at least once a day. Baked potato is not allowed on this day.
Day 7: Brown rice, Vegetables and Unsweetened Fruits Juices
- You can have as many vegetables as you wish along with brown rice and unsweetened fruit juice.
- Have as much cabbage soup as you want but have it at least once.
Beyond Day 7
- Cabbage soup diet is a short term weight loss program and hence, should not be extended beyond 7 days.
- Thus, it is advisable to maintain a normal balanced diet in order to compensate for the loss of nutrients experienced during the diet period.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- Is Essiac Tea An Effective Remedy For Cancer? - August 5, 2015
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015