If dieting, taking weight loss pills, and exercising is not your cup of tea, Epsom salt bath may be the perfect way to lose a few extra pounds. It is an excellent and relaxing way to lose weight. This salt has been used since the 1900s for weight loss and to cure skin and digestive problems. Epsom salt or magnesium sulphate heptahydrate was discovered in Epsom, England. These clear crystals help in regulating many enzymes in our body and maintaining healthy hair, nails, and skin by helping in collagen synthesis. Would you like to know how Epsom salt bath benefits weight loss? Read on!
Epsom Salt Bath For Losing Weight
- How Does Epsom Salt Help You Lose Weight
- How To Make Epsom Salt Bath For Weight Loss
- Frequency Of Taking Epsom Salt Bath For Weight Loss
- Types Of Epsom Salt Baths
- Detoxifying And Rejuvenating
- Benefits Of Epsom Salt Bath
- Facts About Epsom Salt
1. How Does Epsom Salt Help You To Lose Weight
A British biochemist at the University of Birmingham, Rosemary Waring found out that sulfate and magnesium are absorbed into the skin during the Epsom bath. The levels of these two minerals in the blood increase after you soak in the bath for some time, and they start their work of eliminating environmental toxins from the body. They simultaneously also heal various other ailments of the skin, thereby making you feel relaxed and de-stressed.
Studies suggest that a deficiency of magnesium in the body can cause high blood pressure, heart problems, backaches, and headaches. Similarly, low levels of sulfate result in body exhaustion. When the levels of both these minerals increase in the blood, the system of the body reaches a balance and can perform all the functions properly.
Poor absorption of nutrients and emotional eating are considered the main culprits behind weight gain. When the toxins are expelled from the body, you feel more energetic and relaxed and are less likely to binge on food. This lowers your chances of overeating, and your metabolism starts working at its best, leading to significant weight reduction.
2. How To Make Epsom Salt Bath For Weight Loss
You can make Epsom salt bath by adding 400-500 grams Epsom salt to a warm water bath. Do not add too much of the salt as it will not reduce more weight. The Epsom salt bath works best when used in the right amount.
Steps For Making Epsom Salt Bath
- During the initial days, start by adding one tablespoon of Epsom salt to your bath.
- Gradually increase the quantity of the Epsom salt to two cups per bath.
- Stay in the bath for at least 15 minutes to let the salt get absorbed. Do not stay longer than 20 minutes.
- After the bath, drink water enough for rehydration.
3. Frequency Of Taking Epsom Salt Bath For Weight Loss
There is a difference of opinion when it comes to the frequency of taking an Epsom salt bath. Some believe that for rapid weight loss, you must take this bath every day. There are a few others who believe that it should be taken only once in two to three weeks. The best solution is to ask your caregiver, who will have a better idea and can suggest the frequency according to your health condition.
4. Types Of Epsom Salt Baths
Apart from using only Epsom salt in the bath, you can also try out other variations to enhance the results. Here are a few types of Epsom salt baths that will add variety to your weight loss program and will motivate you to stick to this routine.
A. Ginger And Epsom Salt
If excess toxin build-up is the main reason for your weight gain, you should add ginger to the bath along with Epsom salt. Ginger is known to open the body pores and eliminate toxins through sweat. It is an easy and the most natural way of removing body toxins. The remedy works much better if you use warm or hot water. Add two to three tablespoons of crushed ginger against two cups of Epsom salt to the warm water bath for faster results. Soak yourself for half an hour in the hot bath.
B. Baking Soda And Epsom Salt
Add two cups each of Epsom salt and baking soda to the warm bathing water and rub the body gently using a soft sponge. This process helps in cleaning the dead skin cells and removing the excess toxins from the body.
C. Apple Cider Vinegar And Epsom Salt
Add Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar in the ratio of 1:2 in hot or warm water. Soak yourself in the bath for 30 to 40 minutes. Vinegar is known for relieving stress and joint pains. Hence, apart from losing weight, you will also get relief from muscle stress and joint aches.
D. Epsom Salt And Essential Oils
Adding an essential oil to the Epsom salt bath helps to enhance its properties. You can add 10 to 20 drops of an essential oil of your choice, such as lavender or jojoba essential oil, to induce relaxation.
For getting the best of all these remedies, you can try each one of them alternately.
5. Detoxifying And Rejuvenating
Although essential oils are recommended to make your experience of Epsom bath more relaxing and aromatic, some experts believe that adding oil reduces the effect of the Epsom salt. To enhance the effect, you can use mineral water, especially if you want to get relief from muscle pain. Also known as a detox bath, it leaves you de-stressed and rejuvenated for long hours. It is important to drink lots of water before and after the bath to get the maximum benefits of the Epsom salt bath.
6. Benefits Of Epsom Salt Bath
- It relieves the soreness of muscles.
- It helps in removing excess of oil from the skin and hair.
- It is a good antidote for mild sunburn irritation and pain and is used as an alternative to Aloe Vera.
- It causes quicker recovery from muscle strains and other minor injuries.
- It provides relief from bee stings and bug bites.
- It is a good solution for dry lips.
- It is considered to be one of the best skin exfoliators. Hence, it is regularly used for deep exfoliation in masks and pedicure.
- It is used to treat poison ivy rashes.
- Epsom salt helps you to feel relaxed and aids better sleep.
7. Facts About Epsom Salt
- Epsom salt was first discovered in a saline bitter spring of Epsom in Surrey, England. It is, hence, named after the place.
- Although it is called a salt, it is not exactly a salt, but a type of naturally occurring mineral compound enriched with sulfate and magnesium.
- Epsom salt looks like small, clear crystals. It aids weight loss when taken in proper amounts.
- Never add more than 600 grams of Epsom salt in your bath.
- Do not take Epsom salt bath for more than 20 minutes.
- Drink water before and after taking Epsom salt bath.
- The internal use of Epsom salt should be avoided as it may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and nausea. Consult your doctor before taking Epsom salt internally.
- Avoid taking Epsom salt bath if you are diabetic, or suffer from kidney disease, heart disease, and irregular heart beat.
- Pregnant women should consult their doctors before taking Epsom salt bath.
A. Can I eat or drink Epsom salt instead of taking a bath for weight loss?
To lose weight, you have to take Epsom salt bath. However, if you wish to use Epsom salt for other health issues, such as constipation, you should consult your doctor first.
B. Is Epsom salt different than the bath salt?
Yes. Epsom salt only contains magnesium and sulphate. On the other hand, bath salts may contain other ingredients that can be toxic chemicals. Hence, it is better to use organic Epsom salt.
C. Where to buy Epsom salt?
You can buy Epsom salt from the nearby pharmacy.
D. Does Epsom salt have a similar effect on the skin as sea salt?
No. Epsom salt is all good for your skin. It does not leave a residue on your skin after the bath. You will feel fresh and active after indulging in the Epsom salt bath.
E. My skin is dry. Can I use Epsom salt bath?
Yes. Epsom salt will not dry out your skin further. It is known to soften the skin. However, if you are still worried, do drink enough water before and after taking the Epsom salt bath.
F. Is it safe to use Epsom salt bath for people who have health problems?
If you have health problems, always consult your doctor before taking the Epsom salt bath. Your doctor has knowledge about your medical history and knows what can harm you or benefit you.
- You’re Gonna Lose….A Lot Of Weight – 15 ‘Oh So Simple’ Tips!
- How Just A FEW Minutes Of Steam Bath Can Help You Lose Weight
- How To Lose Weight Fast At Home – 59 Expert Proven Methods
- Can Eating Dark Chocolate Help You Lose Weight?
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Tamannaah Bhatia’s Diet And Exercise Plan - April 26, 2017
- Sonakshi Sinha Weight Loss Secrets – Diet & Workout Plan - April 18, 2017
- 20 Best Fiber Rich Foods For Weight Loss With Diet Chart - April 10, 2017
- Parineeti Chopra’s Weight Loss Secret Revealed! - February 7, 2017
- 5 Simple Homemade Juices To Relieve Constipation Quickly - February 6, 2017