Do you need a natural remedy for head lice? Are you irritated with those tiny bugs thriving on your head? Then mayonnaise could work!
Is that too good to believe? Then you must read this post to know more!
Mayonnaise – An Overview:
Mayonnaise contains oil, lemon juice or vinegar, and egg yolk, and it is some of these ingredients that help eliminate these parasites. If you have used other natural lice treatments without success and do not want to resort to chemical-filled anti-lice products, give mayonnaise a try. You will get great results and get rid of these pesky parasites for good.
How Does Mayonnaise Work Against Lice?
As mentioned earlier, mayonnaise contains oil and vinegar or lemon juice among other ingredients (1). Oil works effectively against adult lice while vinegar or lemon juice works well against the eggs of the parasites. The viscosity properties of oil work effectively in suffocating live adult head lice (2) and nymphs as well. When you use mayonnaise as a head lice treatment, it is important to remember that it will not kill the live eggs. Because mayonnaise contains a large amount of oil, it works like any vegetable oil, olive oil or other oils as a natural treatment against head lice.
[ Read: Best Ways To Get Rid of Lice Naturally ]
While there is no scientific evidence that mayonnaise is an effective treatment for head lice, there are a large number of patients who have been using this method for many years and are satisfied with the great results. To top it all, they are happy that they do not have to resort to using expensive store-bought treatments that contain loads of harmful chemicals.
Points To Remember When Using Mayonnaise For Lice:
To make sure that you use mayonnaise to get rid of head lice successfully, you need to keep two important points in mind.
1. Do Not Use Low Fat Mayo:
Low fat mayonnaise does not contain enough oil to kill head lice. You need to make sure that you use the real mayo. The best types of mayo to use as a head lice treatment are homemade ones or the full-fat commercial variety.
2. Use More Vinegar Or Lemon Juice:
As mentioned earlier, vinegar and lemon juice work well against lice eggs. However, keep in mind that mayonnaise does not have enough of these ingredients to kill them. You will need to add more vinegar into the mayo before you apply it on the hair.
When using a mayonnaise head lice treatment, you can make sure that adult lice and nymphs are eliminated for good.
How To Use Mayonnaise For Lice:
To use mayonnaise as an anti-lice treatment, follow the steps given below:
- Apply the mayo on the hair, making sure that each strand is well-coated. Also, make sure that you concentrate on areas like behind the ears, scalp and neck. This will prevent the lice from escaping. Suffocating them is the key.
- Cover the head with a shower cap. If you are using it on children, make sure that you use a safe head wrap. Leave the mayo on for 8 to 10 hours. If you do not leave it on long enough, the treatment will be a failure.
- Once the time is up, wash thoroughly with shampoo to get the oil and grease off.
The treatment takes a long time because many insects can hold their breath for a much longer time than humans. You want to make sure that the lice die, and hence it is important to leave the mayo on for as long as possible. You can repeat the treatment after 7 to 10 days if it is required.
Tips To Remember:
After applying mayonnaise on hair as a treatment for lice, keep the following tips in mind:
- Make sure that you apply a thick coat of mayonnaise for the best results.
- Make sure that you vigilantly comb hair with a fine tooth comb every day for 2 weeks, so that all the nits are removed. These nits can hatch and result in a re-infestation.
- If you are using the treatment on children, do not leave the mayonnaise overnight. They may eat the mayo that is unsafe as it turns rancid only a few hours after you take it out of the fridge.
- Wash all clothes and bed linens, as well as stuffed animals, in hot water.
- Vacuum your entire house to make sure that any head lice that are still lingering are eliminated.
If you make sure that you follow the tips mentioned above, you may not have to use the mayonnaise head lice treatment again. However, if you see any new live ones, you will need to repeat the treatment. Also, many parents use the treatment after a week or so, just to be on the safe side.
Is Mayonnaise An Effective Remedy For Lice?
So can mayonnaise kill lice? As you have learned, it certainly can. It is a highly effective suffocant for head lice (3). According to experts, petroleum jelly is also a great home remedy for lice as it also kills these parasites by suffocating them like oils and mayonnaise do (4). This is one treatment that does not require scientific studies to prove its efficacy. The reports from hundreds of people across the globe are enough to let you know that this is a great remedy for head lice.
The best thing about using mayonnaise is that it is free of chemicals. Unlike store-bought head lice treatments, it is natural and safe, meaning that it does not cause any damage to the hair. Another plus point is that it is easily available and inexpensive. It is highly likely that you always have a jar of mayo in your fridge, and so you can use it any time you find a lice infestation on your head, or on your little one’s head.
If you need a great anti-lice treatment, look no further than your kitchen. That jar of mayo you keep can be of immense help. With it, you can effectively get rid of lice and make sure that they stay away forever.