Are you trying to lose weight but not getting much of a result? Wondering if there is any single ingredient that can aid your weight loss efforts? It has been believed that Senna tea can solve your weight loss woes. But then, how much of it is true? This post has the answers. Keep reading.
Senna Tea – An Overview
Senna, a herb with natural laxative compounds, is used medicinally for getting relief from constipation. It has been endorsed by the US FDA as a nonprescription laxative (1). However, it has also been used as an agent to remove toxins from the body and stimulate weight loss. Senna tea is made by boiling the leaves of the Senna herb.
Senna has bright yellow flowers and pods (2). The tree grows in the wilderness. In various countries, it has been used since ages to treat health conditions like indigestion, skin diseases and respiratory diseases. The proponents of Senna believe it has potent laxative effects that boost the waste removal process in our body.
While a lot of people use the leaves of the tree directly to make tea and drink it (3), it would be a better idea to buy Senna tea available in the market. The tea bags and tea are devoid of resins or pollutants that can be present on the leaves.
Senna Tea And Weight Loss
There is no large-scale scientific study conducted on Senna tea that can be used to endorse its weight loss benefits. It is therefore not endorsed by the mainstream medical community as an active weight loss supplement (4). However, using Senna can surely help in waste elimination that is a part of healthy metabolism. Accumulation of toxins in the body paves way for weight gain. Toxin elimination can help in thwarting obesity. So, eventually, drinking the tea can aid the weight loss process.
Ways To Use Senna Tea
To be on the safe side, you may take Senna tea to augment the weight loss process. However, you will need to learn how to use it properly.
- You can find many variants of Senna tea leaves in the market nowadays. You will find it in several natural food stores. A lot of online shops also sell these products. Ensure you buy a decaffeinated blend. This will not affect your sleeping patterns. While the capsule form of Senna is also available, the tea form gets absorbed by your body easily.
- At first, you will need to boil some water. Place the tea bags containing Senna tea in boiling water. It can be brewed for 5 minutes or so. Some people use lemon juice to add to the flavor. You may also add a few drops of honey to it for the same reason.
- You can drink Senna tea two times a day for effective results.
- When you drink Senna tea, eat the right foods for maximum effects. You should ideally eat foods like chicken, fish, green salads and fruits. Drinking plenty of water all over the day is also required. This will enhance the digestion process.
- Working out while you drink Senna tea is advisable. There is no fixed formula, but 30 minutes of workout per day should be good. You may pick a form of exercise that you are comfortable with.
Things To Be Kept In Mind
When you resort to any food or products for losing excess weight, a few precautions may need to be taken. The same is true for Senna tea. It does have some adverse effects on health, and you should be aware of these.
There is not much information available on the impact of using Senna tea on long-term consumption. However, the NIH does not recommend taking it for a long time. Using it at a stretch for two weeks should be safe, as per NIH. Long-term intake of Senna tea may cause over-activity of the bowels (5). Other possible side effects can include muscle weakness, heart function disorders, and liver damage. However, these are generally caused when a person consumes Senna tea in huge amounts for a very long time.
Some people have also reported suffering from diarrhea and dizziness after using the tea for a long period. In any case, you should watch out for such side effects, and if they develop, stop drinking the tea immediately.
You may or may not have any pre-existing health condition. However, you should not take Senna tea without medical advice. Discuss with your doctor or a diet expert about the safety of taking this tea and after getting the nod, you may begin its use.
A number of people may develop abdominal cramps after drinking Senna tea. To evade this, you may allow it to immerse for half a day and then drink it. This will make any residue like resin gather at the bottom of the pot, and the risk of side effects will be minimized.
Women who have conceived should not take this tea without medical consent for safety reasons. The same can be said for women who are lactating.
Summing It Up
Overall, you may get some benefits in weight loss by consuming Senna tea. However, given the fact that there is no scientific evidence of it working as a potent weight loss compound, and its main role as a laxative, you should not rely solely on the herb. It can at best be used to complement a weight loss regime or diet. You also need to think of any existing medical conditions before starting its intake. Besides, you should consult a doctor before using it for the first time. You may benefit by reading reviews of popular Senna tea products and buy a suitable variant.
Have you ever used senna tea for weight loss? How has this post helped you? Tell us by commenting in the box below.
- Does Black Tea Boost Weight Loss?
- Is Earl Grey Tea Effective For Weight Loss?
- 5 Amazing Teas That Encourage Weight Loss
- How White Tea Helps For Weight Loss & More Benefits?
Get Flat Rs.500/- Off On Medical Nutrition Therapy By Celes
Loved, trusted & used by 25,000 Modern Indian Women!LOSE WEIGHT NATURALLY
90 Days Exert Chat Support | Personalized Diet Plans | Free Nutritionist Consultation
* Eat, enjoy, lose weight and get healthy with celes!
Latest posts by Daiwik (see all)
- Why Should You Use Fractionated Coconut Oil? - September 4, 2015
- 8 Really Effective Stretches For Runners That You Should Be Doing - September 1, 2015
- 8 Awesome Health Benefits Of Phosphorus - August 31, 2015
- The Powerful Japa Meditation – What Is It And Its Benefits - August 19, 2015
- How To Use Hydrogen Peroxide For Nail Fungus – Step By Step Guide - August 17, 2015