Not every woman is blessed with beautiful and flawless skin! Some are troubled with acne, scars, pimples, while some may face dryness or over oilness. But then those of this imperfect skin are blessed with Makeup!
Further, face foundation makeup is most important for a flawless skin!!! The right foundation for your skin tone is necessary to get all the other makeup right in place.
How To Choose Right Foundation for your Skin Tone – Makeup Tips
So here are few tips on how to choose foundation for your skin tone.
1. Know your skin tone:
Firstly, it is very important to know your skin tone to choose the right foundation. The right skin color will help you ease the further task of applying makeup. Wrong shades of foundation can ruin all the effort you take to get the right makeup look. Therefore read below to understand how to pick the right shade.
Check the colour of the veins under your wrist.
Warm Tone (You have yellow undertones, so go for foundations having yellow undertones.Yellow undertones go well with all skin tones.)
Cool Tone (You have pink undertones, so go for foundations having pink or cooler undertones)
If you are balanced between cool & warm tones, then go for neutral shades.
2. Know your skin type:
To choose the right foundation i.e liquid, loose powder, compact or others, it is important to know the skin type. This procedure will help you completely avoid the risk of harming the skin. For example, when you know that your skin is prone to sun burn, it will help you pick the foundation that offers SPF protection.
For Dry Skin:
Opt for oil/water based foundations which blends seamlessly & keeps skin hydrated. Dry skin women can benefit out of tinted moisturizers for light or sheer coverage, while cream based moisturizers also are good for medium to full coverage.
For Oily Skin:
Opt for oil free foundations that have matte finish. Pressed powder foundations are also a good option for oily skin because they soak all the oil to keep the skin fresh for long. Mineral makeup also claims to work well with oily skin.
For Combination Skin:
This type of skin can experiment with water based foundations to pressed powder foundation depending on your skin condition.
Mineral based foundations are suitable for all skin types and are highly recommended for sensitive skin.
Decide on the coverage you want to have for your skin.
Sheer/Light Coverage Foundation:
This will just even out your skintone and gives a very natural look with slight glow on your face.
Medium Coverage Foundation:
This one gives a bit heavier coverage than sheer ones. They will hide mild scars & blemishes & other minor flaws.
Full/Heavy Coverage Foundation:
This will hide every minute flaw from your skin and gives a thick coverage with a superb radiance on your face. Basically these kind of foundations acts as second skin for your face hiding your actual one.
4. Foundation Testing Tips:
- Always go without makeup for buying any cosmetic. Its not applicable for foundation only but for other products like concealer, primer, eyeshadows etc. You can apply a tinted moisturizer or a light moisturizer.This makes easy for you to check for the perfect shade matching your skin tone.
- Always test your product in broad day light. Lights in the stores are deceiving & won’t show the actual shade. So its always good the check the shade in daylight.
- Always put the tester either on your forehead or jawline and not under your wrist for shade selection. Apply atleast 2-3 strokes and check . You should see the shade on your skin after blending as it gets blended with your skin tone.
- If possible after applying tester, roam about for an hour or so outside to check for oxidation or else you can ask for some samples to test before buying. Many high end brands offers samples for customer & I would highly recommend to go for these samples as we invest a huge amount for foundations from these brands.
- Never believe in SA’s words unless & until you have thoroughly checked & verified the shade yourself.
- You can opt for sheer coverage foundations for day time or for work and a shimmery foundation for evening looks.